watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Almost Nearly Summer Silly Season Transfer Thread 2023

Started by Deeping_white, March 29, 2023, 09:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WolverineFFC

Quote from: twang on April 25, 2023, 01:57:45 PMAlso worth noting that James cost Leeds £25m two seasons ago. So from an FPL view it makes no sense for them to sell him cheap, even if they are relegated.

Yeah, don't think Leeds can sell him for less than 15 to 20 million financially. He'll be back at Leeds or on loan somewhere again next season more than likely.

jayffc

Quote from: Wolf on April 25, 2023, 03:00:20 PMIf Leeds were relegated could we loan in James and still have two loans from PL clubs?

After that performance....

Nah Im good, Leeds would be lucky to get a 5m offer for him

We all hoped after that one game as striker maybe we were on to something...

Nope
Look elsewhere thanks.

SerbianLad

Quote from: jayffc on April 25, 2023, 09:40:46 PM
Quote from: Wolf on April 25, 2023, 03:00:20 PMIf Leeds were relegated could we loan in James and still have two loans from PL clubs?

Nope
Look elsewhere thanks.
To be fair to him, pretty much everyone was poor today. I actually thought he was one of our better players.

ianthailand

Quote from: jayffc on April 25, 2023, 12:25:45 PM
Quote from: TheRealMB on April 25, 2023, 12:23:47 PMThoughts on signing James for cover if Leeds drop (perhaps we can get him for a reasonable fee in that case)

I'm not sold that he is a starter, but gives us something different and can provide cover to multiple spots across front. 

I think key business is to not sell anyone (that will be the best business we do in the window id we pull it off), sign a backup striker (again...3rd try is a charm?), midfield cover, competition for the 10, and I think a left back and right back. 

If he's cheap as chips, maybe. Anything over around 6/7m and it's a strong no from me.

Otherwise, we can probably do better.

I imagine he'll start again tonight, if he can maintain his form towards the end of this season then maybe we'll have something to think about as a backup striker option but he's been largely very very poor for most of the season. I'm willing massively for him to turn it around though. We'll need something from him with Mitro still out for 4 games
What money is he on he's played for Leeds and Man Utd so he ain't gonna be on peanuts!

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: SerbianLad on April 25, 2023, 09:42:50 PM
Quote from: jayffc on April 25, 2023, 09:40:46 PM

Nope
Look elsewhere thanks.
To be fair to him, pretty much everyone was poor today. I actually thought he was one of our better players.

He gets in decent positions but doesn't know what to do when he gets there, all too often turning back to make a safe pass. It's frustrating.

Deeping_white

Translation: Fulham wants Willian renewed. Willian wants to renew with Fulham. Initially, the idea was for a new contract valid for another season (Jun/24), but the possibility of a greater bond grew. They will sit down to negotiate and finalize the details at the end of May

FFC1987

On the subject of previous players....Was talking to my best mate (sadly a Spurs STH'er) and we started chatting about Ryan Sess again. Currently injured and unless the new manager see's something more from him than previous ones has, I'm hard pressed to see him lasting much longer there. Could even be out on loan next season pending the re-build.

His contract looks like its runs out in 2024, and unless they offer him a new deal, which is hard to see why really, (pending new manager judgement) he might be one to keep an eye on really.

@jolslover

Quote from: FFC1987 on April 27, 2023, 11:18:44 AMOn the subject of previous players....Was talking to my best mate (sadly a Spurs STH'er) and we started chatting about Ryan Sess again. Currently injured and unless the new manager see's something more from him than previous ones has, I'm hard pressed to see him lasting much longer there. Could even be out on loan next season pending the re-build.

His contract looks like its runs out in 2024, and unless they offer him a new deal, which is hard to see why really, (pending new manager judgement) he might be one to keep an eye on really.

Interesting, could definitely see him coming back to us - although I think we can probably do better..

Where would you play him? At LW or LB?
I feel he isn't defensively good enough for Left Back and not really skilful enough for Left Wing .. probably best suited to a 5ATB / 3ATB which we don't play
STH H3

FFC1987

Quote from: @jolslover on April 27, 2023, 01:37:56 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on April 27, 2023, 11:18:44 AMOn the subject of previous players....Was talking to my best mate (sadly a Spurs STH'er) and we started chatting about Ryan Sess again. Currently injured and unless the new manager see's something more from him than previous ones has, I'm hard pressed to see him lasting much longer there. Could even be out on loan next season pending the re-build.

Interesting, could definitely see him coming back to us - although I think we can probably do better..

I feel he isn't defensively good enough for Left Back and not really skilful enough for Left Wing .. probably best suited to a 5ATB / 3ATB which we don't play

Anyone whose watched, I'd like to think, will agree he's not a full back. Too weak, defensively unaware, doesn't tackle well etc. but he'd be an asset in our squad in the forward line I think. He covers ground well, can defend in a team when he's not the last line so in a pressing team dynamic, fits. Like's to run off Mitrovic and knows how to hit the net.

I'm not saying it'll happen for us, but I'd love to have him back and can see some real value for money with his contract running out and Levy keen to get some transfer funds ready for the next manager and not lose players to running down contracts unless absolutely necessary. Just a thought though.

WindyCity

I'd take a hard pass on James, regardless where Leeds ends up.  Pass

I'd take a flyer on another year for Willian.  Might not be a starting player, but would be terrific squad player.  If he's starting, we might be in big trouble.   And that's no slam on Willian, it's just that this team needs some upgrades if it wants to compete next season. 

I'm hoping against hope it's not gonna be a 'one and done' for FFC.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: FFC1987 on April 27, 2023, 02:58:27 PM

Anyone whose watched, I'd like to think, will agree he's not a full back. Too weak, defensively unaware, doesn't tackle well etc. but he'd be an asset in our squad in the forward line I think. He covers ground well, can defend in a team when he's not the last line so in a pressing team dynamic, fits. Like's to run off Mitrovic and knows how to hit the net.

I'm not saying it'll happen for us, but I'd love to have him back and can see some real value for money with his contract running out and Levy keen to get some transfer funds ready for the next manager and not lose players to running down contracts unless absolutely necessary. Just a thought though.

It was always a weird one, he's fantastic in the box, makes great runs and has a great engine, but his dribbling and defensive ability were always lacking. So it makes it a bit hard to know what to do with him. I think he's best in a back 5, where he knows that he has the freedom to bomb forward, ironically Conte did that system but perhaps he wasn't given sufficient freedom to bomb forward. He'd have been great under Graham Potter, as he trained up Solly March to do the same.

Not sure he'd be right for us as the full backs need to do a lot of one on one defending, and the wingers need to be quite good at dribbling and keeping the ball.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: WindyCity on April 27, 2023, 03:32:47 PMI'd take a hard pass on James, regardless where Leeds ends up.  Pass

I'd take a flyer on another year for Willian.  Might not be a starting player, but would be terrific squad player.  If he's starting, we might be in big trouble.   And that's no slam on Willian, it's just that this team needs some upgrades if it wants to compete next season. 

Agree, James is a poor man's Adama Traore/better version of Abdou Kamara. He has all the raw ability needed but lacks a football brain. That is probably very harsh given he's still a Fulham player, but it's my honest opinion.

@jolslover

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on April 27, 2023, 03:41:19 PM
Quote from: WindyCity on April 27, 2023, 03:32:47 PMI'd take a hard pass on James, regardless where Leeds ends up.  Pass

Agree, James is a poor man's Adama Traore/better version of Abdou Kamara. He has all the raw ability needed but lacks a football brain. That is probably very harsh given he's still a Fulham player, but it's my honest opinion.

Fair enough assessment. He is very quick but other than that struggle to name an impressive attribute - his shooting / crossing is definitely lacking
It is a shame because at times playing for Swansea in the Champ it looked like he would make it to the top
STH H3

@jolslover

The thing about Sess, he was unreal for us that season in the Championship - but that was in 2017 .. he hasn't had a good season in 5 years since and Tottenham fans I have spoken to are pretty much all of the opinion he hasn't done enough when he has played there .. which is a shame
Agree he is not a fullback - I just think with the pull of Marco Silva, London based, top half prem team we can get most wingers in Europe - and I am not sure he is up there with the best
STH H3

ianthailand

Quote from: @jolslover on April 27, 2023, 04:59:33 PM

The thing about Sess, he was unreal for us that season in the Championship - but that was in 2017 .. he hasn't had a good season in 5 years since and Tottenham fans I have spoken to are pretty much all of the opinion he hasn't done enough when he has played there .. which is a shame
Agree he is not a fullback - I just think with the pull of Marco Silva, London based, top half prem team we can get most wingers in Europe - and I am not sure he is up there with the best
The problem with Sess as i see it is he doesn't often beat a man with ball skill but with good movement off the ball. He therefore needs to play in a good team structure.can Marco harness this ability into our team, i don't know.

Jims Dentist

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Jims Dentist on April 27, 2023, 09:48:20 PMWould prefer Jack Clarke from Sunderland.

Yes Jack Clarke would be an astute signing.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Deeping_white

Take this one with a very big pinch of salt:

@jolslover

Hahah no way - cant see that happening. Would be great though
STH H3

Deeping_white