watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Almost Nearly Summer Silly Season Transfer Thread 2023

Started by Deeping_white, March 29, 2023, 09:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wback

Quote from: bencher on April 23, 2023, 02:11:39 PMSliding doors question, but if we had not lost Dembele MKII would we have ever signed Mitro? I suspect not, and I wonder where we would be as a club in that alternate universe?

Something's gone wrong with his career clearly. Not scoring as much now as he used to. Perhaps familiar surroundings are needed, but I'm not sure he'd come to use and get many starts ahead of Mitro.

Somerset Fulham

Quote from: bencher on April 23, 2023, 02:11:39 PMSliding doors question, but if we had not lost Dembele MKII would we have ever signed Mitro? I suspect not, and I wonder where we would be as a club in that alternate universe?

There was a quite a few years and a massive change in personnel between the two, wasn't there? It would be quite difficult to kind of compare if my memory is correct, but it also may well not be!

No way Dembélé is coming back here anyway in my view. Unless we completeley changed or setup to accomodate two up top, he doesn't seem the type that is going to want to play second fiddle.

FreiBird

If only we could get that Anguissa lad from Napoli. One of the best midfielders in the world at the moment and people on here will tell you he wasn't good enough hahaha

Surlyc

Quote from: FreiBird on April 23, 2023, 10:22:46 PMIf only we could get that Anguissa lad from Napoli. One of the best midfielders in the world at the moment and people on here will tell you he wasn't good enough hahaha
don't think many here disputed his talent, just his desire to be here. Honestly I think we'd have said the same about Willian if he'd played in that Parker team.

Twig

Quote from: FreiBird on April 23, 2023, 10:22:46 PMIf only we could get that Anguissa lad from Napoli. One of the best midfielders in the world at the moment and people on here will tell you he wasn't good enough hahaha

Yawn

HillingdonFFC

We used to have an Anguissa playing for us, heart wasn't really in it & he couldn't be arsed half the time, also looked like he thought he was doing us a favour by playing for us, not the same one was it?

demeant0r

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on April 24, 2023, 11:44:10 AM

We used to have an Anguissa playing for us, heart wasn't really in it & he couldn't be arsed half the time, also looked like he thought he was doing us a favour by playing for us, not the same one was it?

I mean his was not in it probably because of the dour football Parker wanted us to play.

FreiBird

That's what people say but when you actually watched games and saw with he did, and backed it up with him being one of the best in the prem in several stats while playing for us, it was demonstrably false that he couldn't be arsed.

FFC1987

No offence to Reed whose doing a fantastic job, but the idea of Palhinha, Anguissa and Pereira is a ridiculously good midfield. Ah, what could of been.

sunburywhite

He probably read this board which is why he couldnt be ar5ed
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Deeping_white

Without wishing to add to the Anguissa debate since it's over now and been done to death, I think his lack of enthusiasm in hindsight was likely a Parker issue as much as anything else including being in a relagation battle which is demoralising at the best of times, without being coached by a glorified PE teacher who has the tactical nouse of a slug (see Mitro et al for other realistic examples) - Silva probably could've made him look a worldbeater for us, but only a time travelling machine would answer that question.

Lordedmundo

Quote from: FreiBird on April 24, 2023, 02:52:35 PM

That's what people say but when you actually watched games and saw with he did, and backed it up with him being one of the best in the prem in several stats while playing for us, it was demonstrably false that he couldn't be arsed.

I watched most if not all. I think he was MOM in about 2-3 games. Played well in about 10-15 others and was average/poor in the rest. I'm sure there are some stats that make him look good, but 0 goals and 3 assists in 66 appearances is poor and there would often be games where he would be good on the ball, but lazy off it. He made a fair few mistakes which led to us conceding as well.

I agree with others, that maybe playing under Silva he would have been a more effective player - but personally I am glad that we moved him on.

Bobsffc

Funnily enough the bloke sitting next to me in H6 is an Italian Napoli supporter - very happy with the season of course. He rates Anguissa very highly, though he just wishes he would score now and again

TheRealMB

Thoughts on signing James for cover if Leeds drop (perhaps we can get him for a reasonable fee in that case)

I'm not sold that he is a starter, but gives us something different and can provide cover to multiple spots across front. 

I think key business is to not sell anyone (that will be the best business we do in the window id we pull it off), sign a backup striker (again...3rd try is a charm?), midfield cover, competition for the 10, and I think a left back and right back. 

jayffc

Quote from: TheRealMB on April 25, 2023, 12:23:47 PMThoughts on signing James for cover if Leeds drop (perhaps we can get him for a reasonable fee in that case)

I'm not sold that he is a starter, but gives us something different and can provide cover to multiple spots across front. 

I think key business is to not sell anyone (that will be the best business we do in the window id we pull it off), sign a backup striker (again...3rd try is a charm?), midfield cover, competition for the 10, and I think a left back and right back. 

If he's cheap as chips, maybe. Anything over around 6/7m and it's a strong no from me.

Otherwise, we can probably do better.

I imagine he'll start again tonight, if he can maintain his form towards the end of this season then maybe we'll have something to think about as a backup striker option but he's been largely very very poor for most of the season. I'm willing massively for him to turn it around though. We'll need something from him with Mitro still out for 4 games

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: jayffc on April 25, 2023, 12:25:45 PM
Quote from: TheRealMB on April 25, 2023, 12:23:47 PMThoughts on signing James for cover if Leeds drop (perhaps we can get him for a reasonable fee in that case)

If he's cheap as chips, maybe. Anything over around 6/7m and it's a strong no from me.

Otherwise, we can probably do better.

I imagine he'll start again tonight, if he can maintain his form towards the end of this season then maybe we'll have something to think about as a backup striker option but he's been largely very very poor for most of the season. I'm willing massively for him to turn it around though. We'll need something from him with Mitro still out for 4 games

Dont ever see the benefit in buying players to be cover unless they are super cheap/ free. James wont be either so unless we can extend his loan I doubt we will see much of him. I would perfer us start BDR in the false 9 role.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

James can't even get in the Wales team as first choice and apart from his last game he has made very little impression with us.
For a player of this standard his lack of ball control shows for most of the time and his speed is only useful as a late impact player.

twang

Also worth noting that James cost Leeds £25m two seasons ago. So from an FPL view it makes no sense for them to sell him cheap, even if they are relegated.

Jims Dentist

Quote from: Lordedmundo on April 24, 2023, 04:27:04 PM
Quote from: FreiBird on April 24, 2023, 02:52:35 PM

I watched most if not all. I think he was MOM in about 2-3 games. Played well in about 10-15 others and was average/poor in the rest. I'm sure there are some stats that make him look good, but 0 goals and 3 assists in 66 appearances is poor and there would often be games where he would be good on the ball, but lazy off it. He made a fair few mistakes which led to us conceding as well.

I agree with others, that maybe playing under Silva he would have been a more effective player - but personally I am glad that we moved him on.

Well said Lord.
I would add that when with us he couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo when shooting for goal.

Wolf

If Leeds were relegated could we loan in James and still have two loans from PL clubs?

Hates: the Hounslow maggots