https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Almost Nearly Summer Silly Season Transfer Thread 2023

Started by Deeping_white, March 29, 2023, 09:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deeping_white

Quote from: dfwilson84 on May 23, 2023, 11:13:45 AM
Quote from: IloveFFC on May 22, 2023, 09:32:05 PM

I'm going to disagree with majority on this. I don't think we should sign back up players. We should always try and sign players who have the potential to be better than the player they will be competing with. Aina does not have the potential to be better than Tete so when Tete is injured, we will be weaker. I'm not saying it's easy to attract a player of Tete's quality but that's what we should aspire to. I don't see any logic in signing a player that we know is inferior. We might as well give Steven Sessegnon a go if that's the case.

We have a finite budget so you need to address areas of concern in priority order. As it is, I would argue our starting FB's are good premier league standard, and finding someone better than either of them is likely to be quite expensive, unless we pull another £3m Tete out of thin air (but that's not easy to do). Therefore signing someone on a free who can play LB and RB at a competent standard as a backup is good, because the key question has to be; are we comfortable with Aina playing 3-4 games in a row in case of injuries or suspensions, and I think the general consensus would be yes.

Signing a player for several million to be a backup means you take away from the budget to sign key needs, which in our case is a left footed CB + 1 more CB, a #10 with a different profile to TC/Pereira, and probably a pacey utility forward & winger who can replace Wilson and/or eventually replace Willian. Backup RB and LB will be needed this summer, but as they aren't required to be starters you can look to go for cheaper/safer options and Aina can play both sides and at a push CB too so it fills a number of needs for no outlay

Holders

What recent results have shown is that our first team is good enough to compete with anyone. It's depth where we have been lacking and where we require reinforcements and Aina is a versatile and proven example.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Alec of good Stock

Quote from: MickTheBeard on May 22, 2023, 06:21:18 PMTheir is a battle between wickens and Luca Ashby Hammond both the same age 20/21.wickens was on loan at Willesden in national league last year this year he has been 3rd goalkeeper and plays or 21s this year.Luca has been no1 at aldershot national league this seasonexpect him to be 3rd goalkeeper and wickens to join a league side on loan to see his progress. Are they good enough don't know goalkeepers have time on their side.Luca was England under 18 keeper for quite awhile.Wickens was a season ticket holder with his dad and was at Hamburg as a fan.Wait 2 years and ask that question again,remember only 1 pc make it
Wealdstone rather than Willesden

jayffc

I'm going to disagree with majority on this. I don't think we should sign back up players. We should always try and sign players who have the potential to be better than the player they will be competing with. Aina does not have the potential to be better than Tete so when Tete is injured, we will be weaker. I'm not saying it's easy to attract a player of Tete's quality but that's what we should aspire to. I don't see any logic in signing a player that we know is inferior. We might as well give Steven Sessegnon a go if that's the case.

Should we have never signed Chris Baird? Wasn't quite as good as the starters around him but was the perfect squad depth guy for when there are injuries and suspensions, cup games. It's not like Aina is the only guy were gonna sign.

Players like Aina on a free are a no brainer. Low risk, unlikely to be high wage, seemingly a good well liked guy at the club.He was actually good for us under a god awful manager.

bill taylors apprentice

If Aina can play Left & Right FB at the same level as his previous time with us I would seriously consider signing him.

Surlyc

I don't disagree with your premise, but I do disagree with the application to Aina. Aina has already played in the same squad/team as Tete back in 2020/21 and I think showed he could compete with him. I don't think there was much criticisms of our RB options in that season, so it makes sense to explore him as an option as A) he already knows and likes the club, B) is available with no transfer fee and C) he adds genuine flexibility to the squad based on the fact we've already seen it.

Spending big money to improve on Tete (>£15m based on market values) should absolutely not be a priority for us.

MickTheBeard

We might have to cut our cloth due to max 17 foreign imports and having players like rodak,Duffy and if Robinson won't sign a new contract and is sold homegrown players at our level cost too much aina may be a stop gap.

Surlyc

Quote from: MickTheBeard on May 23, 2023, 12:50:37 PMWe might have to cut our cloth due to max 17 foreign imports and having players like rodak,Duffy and if Robinson won't sign a new contract and is sold homegrown players at our level cost too much aina may be a stop gap.
This is also an excellent point. With James/Duffy likely gone, we would need to replace any further departures from our homegrown players (I believe the 8 would be Rodak, Tosin, Robinson, Reed, Cairney, Pereira, BDR & Wilson). Aina would certainly be a good signing from that perspective.

Deeping_white

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Deeping_white on May 23, 2023, 02:12:31 PM

Diego Rolan mk II

No point being after someone who doesnt wantt o even be in the country let alone our team lol

We Are Premier League

Quote from: Surlyc on May 23, 2023, 01:59:47 PM
Quote from: MickTheBeard on May 23, 2023, 12:50:37 PMWe might have to cut our cloth due to max 17 foreign imports and having players like rodak,Duffy and if Robinson won't sign a new contract and is sold homegrown players at our level cost too much aina may be a stop gap.
This is also an excellent point. With James/Duffy likely gone, we would need to replace any further departures from our homegrown players (I believe the 8 would be Rodak, Tosin, Robinson, Reed, Cairney, Pereira, BDR & Wilson). Aina would certainly be a good signing from that perspective.

I would be very surprised if Rodak would stay and sit on the bench another season.

LC

Alfredo Morelos is available on a free transfer. I think he would be a good signing

btffc

https://www.fifa.com/legal/football-regulatory/media-releases/fifa-extends-and-adapts-temporary-employment-rules-to-address-issues-relating-to-war-in-ukraine

The rules regarding foreign players contracted to Ukrainian teams has been extended by FIFA which means Solomon can come back on another "loan" for 6 months then would be on a free after January 1st and able to sign a permanent contract. Presumably both could be done at the same time since he can sign his next contract when there is less than 6 months left on his current one.

That is assuming he wants to stay and Fulham wants him to stay.

LC

Quote from: btffc on May 23, 2023, 08:21:13 PMhttps://www.fifa.com/legal/football-regulatory/media-releases/fifa-extends-and-adapts-temporary-employment-rules-to-address-issues-relating-to-war-in-ukraine

The rules regarding foreign players contracted to Ukrainian teams has been extended by FIFA which means Solomon can come back on another "loan" for 6 months then would be on a free after January 1st and able to sign a permanent contract. Presumably both could be done at the same time since he can sign his next contract when there is less than 6 months left on his current one.

I still don't understand why Chelsea didn't do this with Mudryk

btffc

Quote from: LC on May 24, 2023, 12:13:11 AM
Quote from: btffc on May 23, 2023, 08:21:13 PMhttps://www.fifa.com/legal/football-regulatory/media-releases/fifa-extends-and-adapts-temporary-employment-rules-to-address-issues-relating-to-war-in-ukraine

I still don't understand why Chelsea didn't do this with Mudryk

It only applies to foreign players so Mudryk as a Ukrainian was not able to leave without a transfer fee.

jayffc

On a free?
A no brainer but without a pre-agreement, why would he come back here is the question. Surely a load of european clubs would be all over a free transfer. Low risk huge potential upside.

He might have "gone off the boil" a bit after an electric start...but for me it's not because he's a one-trick pony or got found out... he wasn't starting regularly and was getting 10 minutes here and there and alot of those games coming during that period where Mitro was out suspended and the whole team was a bit under par. Felt like he was trying too hard sometimes because he was feeding off of scraps.

Proven champions league quality, still gutted we didn't just pay the original fee for him as thats easily value for money when it comes to his potential. The question is wether, if he's not starting here, he'll want to stay on at all. Willian has probably got 1 more year max 2 left in him. Sign the guy up!

btffc

Quote from: jayffc on May 24, 2023, 11:00:54 AM

On a free?
A no brainer but without a pre-agreement, why would he come back here is the question. Surely a load of european clubs would be all over a free transfer. Low risk huge potential upside.

He might have "gone off the boil" a bit after an electric start...but for me it's not because he's a one-trick pony or got found out... he wasn't starting regularly and was getting 10 minutes here and there and alot of those games coming during that period where Mitro was out suspended and the whole team was a bit under par. Felt like he was trying too hard sometimes because he was feeding off of scraps.

Proven champions league quality, still gutted we didn't just pay the original fee for him as thats easily value for money when it comes to his potential. The question is wether, if he's not starting here, he'll want to stay on at all. Willian has probably got 1 more year max 2 left in him. Sign the guy up!

He reportedly really wants to be in the London and Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs are unlikely to go for him plus he would have a hard time getting on the pitch at those clubs.

Somerset Fulham

Palace, West Ham an Brentford have to come into the equation though.

Twig

I just wonder wether he's been doing enough to impress Silva? Not only whilst playing but also in training?