News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Matt Smith and Alexander Kacaniklic - POWER & PACE!!

Started by Nick Bateman, August 12, 2015, 04:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Bateman

What is becoming more obvious is that Matt Smith & Alexander Kacaniklic are vital to Fulham achieving success on the pitch this season, going by the last three competitive matches. And they seem to compliment one another with very differing attributes.

Matt Smith, 26, not to be confused with his Doctor Who namesake, is one of the tallest outfield footballers in the Championship at a whopping 6 feet 5 inches!  But unlike other stringbean centre-forwards like Peter Crouch and Connor Wickham, Smith is a substantial chap weighing around 200 pounds and built like a fortress.  He must frighten the life out of most opposition defenders and I'd say he'd even give Tyson Fury a good fight!

With Kacaniklic playing, he offers Fulham fantastic pace as well as width, which is lacking when he is not in the line-up.  Like Smith, Kaca can also score goals, as well as provide them, and in the last match he was further prepared to help out defending, twice making important tackles to break up the play.  At 23, he is one of Fulham's best young talents and we must not allow him to be enticed away.

The two are not often played in the same team but when they do it gives our opponents plenty of problems to worry about.  Kit Symons has yet to give Matt Smith a full 90 minutes: is he that unfit or is Symons trying to be smarter than he actually is?!  In our game against Cardiff, the late removal of Smith probably cost us a win, as it relieved their defenses of our TERRIFYING forward and bringing on alternative striker in Dembele was not what one would call a 'tactical' substitution.  Kit did this last season much to Sean Davis and "Gentleman" Jim's disbelief which cost us another game - we can only hope he learns from his errors soon.

One is aware of the critics of Smith on this forum, namely MJG who derided his passing ability before the start of the season, but it was Smith's knock-down which set up Kacaniklic's winner in our recent League Cup victory and his hold up play is invaluable.

I hope Kit Symons sees that these two playing in the same team, Power & Pace, is a good strategy and that pen-pushing, penny-pinching Scot Alistair Mackintosh does not undermine Fulham again by allowing either of these two assets to go somewhere on loan or even be sold, while they both approach their peaks in our colours!
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

fulhamben

Quote from: Nick Bateman on August 12, 2015, 04:16:48 PM
What is becoming more obvious is that Matt Smith & Alexander Kacaniklic are vital to Fulham achieving success on the pitch this season, going by the last three competitive matches. And they seem to complement one another with very differing attributes.

Matt Smith, 26, not to be confused with his Doctor Who namesake, is one of the tallest outfield footballers in the Championship at a whopping 6 feet 5 inches!  But unlike other stringbean centre-forwards like Peter Crouch and Connor Wickham, Smith is a substantial chap weighing around 200 pounds and built like a fortress.  He must frighten the life out of most opposition defenders and I'd say he'd even give Tyson Fury a good fight!

With Kacaniklic playing, he offers Fulham fantastic pace as well as width, which is lacking when he is not in the line-up.  Like Smith, Kaca can also score goals, as well as provide them, and in the last match he was further prepared to help out defending, twice making important tackles to break up the play.  At 23, he is one of Fulham's best young talents and we must not allow him to be enticed away.

The two are not often played in the same team but when they do it gives our opponents plenty of problems to worry about.  Kit Symons has yet to give Matt Smith a full 90 minutes: is he that unfit or is Symons trying to be smarter than he actually is?!  In our game against Cardiff, the late removal of Smith probably cost us a win, as it relieved their defenses of our TERRIFYING forward and bringing on alternative striker in Dembele was not what one would call a 'tactical' substitution.  Kit did this last season much to Sean Davis and "Gentleman" Jim's disbelief which cost us another game - we can only hope he learns from his errors soon.

One is aware of the critics of Smith on this forum, namely MJG who, in his pontificating dogmatic style derided his passing ability before the start of the season, but it was Smith's headed knock-down which set up Kacaniklic's winner in in recent League Cup victory and his hold up play is invaluable.

I hope Kit Symons sees that these two playing in the same team, Power & Pace, is a good strategy and that pen-pushing, penny-pinching Scot Alistair Mackintosh does not undermine Fulham again by allowing either of these two assets to go somewhere on loan or even be sold, while they both approach their peaks in our colours!
hold up a minute. MJG backed up his assessment with stats. Which basically said he misses a lot of pases and shots. Which he does. And our playing style does go route one when he plays. Which if anyone can recall the second half of last season will know it didn't help us at all. Unless one win in thirteen is now acceptable. I think it's a crying shame that we have lost Mitro and Hugo and have ended up with Smith as a starter. This isn't Smith and McCormacks first tango,can anyone tell me if they have got a team into the top twelve once together
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Blanco

086.gif Don't bite! Never bite! You will be sucked in! 086.gif I was hoping this one would have 0 comments.

MayoDomo

I for one actually look forward to these posts. Always entertaining.
For Fulham News, Opinions, and Streaming Updates Follow me at https://twitter.com/MayoDomo!

Twig

As it happens I disagree with MJG over Smith, but for you of all people to accuse him of a "dogmatic pontificating style"  is pot calling kettle black.  BTW since you pride yourself on your erudition you should have placed a comma after dogmatic.

St Eve

i think that there is a lot of validity in Nick's post

Nick Bateman

Smith has now scored in two of Fulham's last three games and set-up the goal in the one he didn't after coming off the bench.  Thing is, MJG is quick to admonish anything he believes I have written is inaccurate so one felt moved to do likewise, and see how he likes it.  Especially as he is so far WRONG in this case to single out Smith as if he is a 'problem' when he is in fact an important asset.
And stats will never show how many times a player holds the ball up, but compare Smith with (honest but headless) Cauley Woodrow and they are a world apart!

Quote from: Blanco on August 12, 2015, 04:30:00 PM
086.gif Don't bite! Never bite! You will be sucked in! 086.gif I was hoping this one would have 0 comments.

Blanco, allow adults to discuss football on a footballing forum in a mature fashion, particularly something relevent to recent events.

Horsfield_No9

Matt Smith is Fulham's best player/greatest goal threat. Watch what he does if he gets a full season. He will outscore Ross and Prem teams will be looking at him next season. Mark my words.
First game: Fulham 4 Burnley 0, December 12th 1998.

alfie

and yet you made a comment, why did you not just ignore it?

Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

mccscratch

I have said for a long time that Kaca is one of our biggest assets at the club... I was royally frustrated with his lack of minutes last year and dumbfounded when we loaned him to Copenhagen at the beginning of the year... I suspect that was Magath's moronic vision...

Kaca is a starter... Smith seems to be working well too... put him up top with Ross in a free roll underneath him..

Get EH some minutes too... these are guys we do not want to lose...
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

Blanco

Quote from: Nick Bateman on August 12, 2015, 04:53:17 PM
Smith has now scored in two of Fulham's last three games and set-up the goal in the one he didn't after coming off the bench.  Thing is, MJG is quick to admonish anything he believes I have written is inaccurate so one felt moved to do likewise, and see how he likes it.  Especially as he is so far WRONG in this case, and it was a denigrating summary from his ivory-towered pulpit he often lectures.

And stats will never show how many times a player holds the ball up, but compare Smith with (honest but headless) Cauley Woodrow and they are a world apart!

Blanco, allow adults to discuss football on a footballing forum in a mature fashion, particularly something relevent to recent events.

Don't lecture me on being an adult. All you are is an attention seeker. The way you write and the way you put yourself across is purely to attract attention. I thought your post was ok until you slagged off MJG for no reason. We all have opinions and there is no need to bring someones past comments up when a player does something right. Like alfie says, in future posts of yours I won't comment.

Nick Bateman

My last word on this topic is well done Kit Symons for taking this fixture seriously, playing virtually his first team with backup (like Smith) on the bench.  A win lifts everyone's morale and the team's spirits.

Smith, McCormack & Kacaniklic as a triumvirate works for me too!

Nick Bateman

Quote from: Blanco on August 12, 2015, 05:11:01 PM

Don't lecture me on being an adult. All you are is an attention seeker. The way you write and the way you put yourself across is purely to attract attention. I thought your post was ok until you slagged off MJG for no reason. We all have opinions and there is no need to bring someones past comments up when a player does something right. Like alfie says, in future posts of yours I won't comment.

Your suggestion to not reply to a fair topic (and not a wind-up posting as you claim) was silly, and I was merely saying allow us to have an adult conversation about football - I have no idea of your age.  I mentioned MJG because he has constantly chastised anything I have written for the last 6 months, and you feel it your task to pick me up for doing this ONCE??!!  

Perhaps I should have left him out but I did remember him did singling out Matt Smith and no other player which was unfair, as though Smith is the root cause of Fulham's woes with his alleged poor passing stat.  I'm sure MJG means well for Fulham as do I, but on this issue he is wrong to make it sound as though Smith is such a bad player!

As for being just attention seeking allow me to explain this:  I am seriously worried, frightened even, that Ali Mack with loan out one or even BOTH of these players before the transfer window shuts.  He has undermined Fulham at every opportunity.  That's what compelled me to write!

Blanco

Quote from: Nick Bateman on August 12, 2015, 05:22:30 PM
Quote from: Blanco on August 12, 2015, 05:11:01 PM

Good, stay off my posts if that's how you write.  I mentioned MJG because he has constantly chastised anything I have written for the last 6 months, and you feel it your task to pick me up for doing this ONCE??!!  And he did single out Matt Smith and no other player which was unfair, as though Smith is the root cause of Fulham's woes with his alleged poor passing stat.

The reason people and this time me have a go at you is because you are very annoying. I have criticized people before for slagging you off because a few of your posts are good. However 99% are just provoking. The way you underline and bold your words. How you repeat your opinions on Mackintosh again and again. How you write your posts as if you're a national paper with thousands of readers. I'm not sure if anyone has noticed that it's your posts that create the most arguements between users.

Wimbledon_White

Is this really THE Nick Bateman from Big Brother?

ToodlesMcToot

Why try and incite an argument though Nick? The only thing you've succeeded in doing by calling out MJG, re: Smith, is to draw attention away from the validity of the remainder of your post - same with the dig at Alistair.

For once, I thought you'd constructed a fair and accurate opening post, and then you went and had a go at two people who have absolutely nothing to do with picking the team. It then slid from a possibly good and constructive thread back into more of your usual wind-up type postings.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Nick Bateman

Blanco, I apologise for my wording, I've changed it to clarify.  No offense to you was intended.  I'm sure MJG can (and will) defend himself.  As for Ali Mack he may be doing his best for Fulham's books perhaps, but not in my opinion for Fulham's playing staff.

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on August 12, 2015, 05:40:51 PM
Why try and incite an argument though Nick? The only thing you've succeeded in doing by calling out MJG, re: Smith, is to draw attention away from the validity of the remainder of your post - same with the dig at Alistair.

For once, I thought you'd constructed a fair and accurate opening post, and then you went and had a go at two people who have absolutely nothing to do with picking the team. It then slid from a possibly good and constructive thread back into more of your usual wind-up type postings.

You are right.  I should have simply mentioned MJG's criticism of Matt Smith rather than embellish his views with provocative adjectives.  I have edited it now.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Nick Bateman on August 12, 2015, 05:42:15 PM
Blanco, I apologise for my wording, I've changed it to clarify.  No offense to you was intended.  I'm sure MJG can (and will) defend himself.  As for Ali Mack he may be doing his best for Fulham's books perhaps, but not in my opinion for Fulham's playing staff.

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on August 12, 2015, 05:40:51 PM

You are right.  I should have simply mentioned MJG's criticism of Matt Smith rather than embellish his views with provocative adjectives.  I have edited it now.

I do agree with your main point. For whichever perceived warts that come with playing him, Smith has done well for us and been consistent in his performances. Kit's responsibility in using him is to ensure that we don't fall into the predictability of playing route one balls to him. It's unnecessary. Hopefully, we can also convince Ross to expend a little less energy coming deep to pick up the ball so that he can begin making runs off of Matt.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Twig

Quote from: Nick Bateman on August 12, 2015, 05:12:35 PM
My last word on this topic is well done Kit Symons for taking this fixture seriously, playing virtually his first team with backup (like Smith) on the bench.  A win lifts everyone's morale and the team's spirits.

Smith, McCormack & Kacaniklic as a triumvirate works for me too!

Not your last word then?

MJG

Ok I start with you Nick, go back over every post you make and I reply to and see that I don't have a go at you for your pov, but the use of 'facts'  which I have on numerous occasions had to correct you about.
Everyone has their own views and mostly on here we can agree to disagree about a lot of things,  but very rarely have I seen a poster name someone straight away as a target.
Not that I care I'm big enough and old enough to to stand by my views and arguments for or against a player.  And more than happy to go toe toe over anything.

As for Smith I have never to my memory slagged him off as a player. I don't particular like tall players in my teams because it brings out the basic instinct of a footballer to knock it long. And that's what we have done. Anyone who saw first half at Cardiff would see that.
Is it effective.. Yes in a way. Is it the way I'd play him... No it isn't.

Let's look at the goal yesterday,  he knocked down a pass to a player who then passed it to another who then passed it to Kaca to finish.
I don't see that as having made the goal but yes he was involved.

I'm short for time but will be back later to reply further.

But one last thing,  if this had been aimed at anyone else the way you had mentioned a name to basically have a go at them,  I would be defending that person to what is basically a personal attack.