News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Introduce yourselves and explain where are you from, and why Fulham..?

Started by LBNo11, February 20, 2010, 07:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBNo11

...many of us Brits know each other and know why we became or were born Fulham fans, but what about all you guys around the globe!

So:-

1) What country and city/town are you from?

2) Why do you support The Fulham Football Club?

3) Did you support another team before Fulham?
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

HatterDon

I am the Eggman ... no wait, THEY are the Eggman. I am the Walrus.

I am from San Antonio, Texas [although I was born in El Paso, Texas shortly after the end of dubya dubya eye eye [tha big one]

there's a long essay lost in the bitbucket of the old FofF server that tells this more eloquently, but I came to Fulham because of my respect and admiration for Brian McBride. I stayed because of the family aspect of the club, and because I knew that we'd be struggling every season, and I'm not comfortable supporting teams that expect to win. Like a lot of us, being Fulham is more important than supporting American players, so if we nad no yanks on the roster, I'd still be here.

As Brits can usually deduce from my username, I originally supported Luton Town Football Club as I was married to a Luton girl and went to matches with my father-in-law. LTFC never had much time for their American fans, nor did most of their British fans, so the dozen or so of us who were season ticket holders had little to hold us to the club.

Oh, and I sewed all the sequins on my dance costume myself.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

YankeeJim

I'm a native born California boy who grew up playing & watching pointy ball. I've lived in 8 different states and at one time had season tickets to the Washington Redskins. While in college, in Maryland, I played some intermural "soccer" & learned the basics of the beautiful game. Other than some interest in the WC, I let it slide until my youngest came to me when he was 8 (he's 32 now) & said he wanted to played soccer. I signed him up for AYSO & in a manner of weeks, both my boys were involved, I was coaching TWO teams and reffing as well. I got the bug big time. Both my boys played into high school and then discovered girls and soccer fell off the radar screen. It didn't for me. I was introduced to English football on a saturday morning show called Soccer Week. The English game just seemed to be about getting after the ball while the Spanish & Italians were about falling down and screaming in pain. When Claudio Reyna went to Citi, I joined their web site but soon found that to them, every loss & every evil came from Reyna and the rest of the Americans. Rather stupid. Anyway, I checked out Manure, mostly because Citi hated them and found them to be arrogant & had a sense of entitlement when it came to winning. They reminded me of Mexico in that the other team was always lucky & the ref had it on for them. When McGod scored a wonderful goal againt Mexico in the 2002 Cup, I had found my hero & followed him to Fulham. As Don said, the friendliness & family atmosphere was refreshing. Early on, one of the members here, befrended me & made me feel welcome. It has grown from that. I don't post all that much but I visit this board most mornings and just about every evening. I'll be here until I'm asked to leave.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

GoldCoastWhite

I''m an Essex boy (oh, the shame) who emigrated to the Land of Oz in 1965. My late Mum and my still misbehaving Dad are both from Edmonton, Norf London so I grew up supporting the Spuds and watched a handful of games when I spent a few months in the UK in 1982. Scarey times people ! I drifted away from football a bit in the late 80's/early 90's as I was more into motorbikes, excessive alcohol consumption, rock n roll and chasing the femmes. I returned to the UK in late '94, ostensibly for 2 years but ended up staying 7 and the football passion was reignited. A mate who is no longer with us was a mad keen blue poo fan and was in fact secretary (?) of the Oz supporters club and I promised him I'd go to the dog track and watch a game. I also went to why tart lane and soon realised I didn't belong there. Chelski was the closest club when I lived in Pimlico and I think I went to about 10 home games and even enjoyed myself. (My excuse is that The Hod was there and then Gullit arrived. Loved watching him and Zola but it seems I didn't belong there either.) My barmy Swedish flatmates found a flat in Fulham Road when we tired of Pimlico and then it happened...I strolled down to The Cottage in early '97 and realised I'd found my football home. I think I went to a couple more Chelski games but Fulham had stolen my football heart. The Al Fayed revolution happened a couple of months later and the adventure began. I can truly say "I'm Fulham 'til I die" and I wouldn't have it any other way. 

tjl

A London boy am i born and lived my first 21 years in the borough of Wandsworth, after finishing my apprenticeship as a joiner i wanted to travel and the only way in the late 60s was to join the merchant navy 3 years of that and back to London, it had changed so much i did not feel at home so on to the Channel Islands first Jersey then Sark where i have resided for the last 35 years. Fulham was my first love and i will be true.

oldmod

Born in Hammersmith but our family always lived in Fulham.  My Father attended his first Fulham game in 1910 and I started to support the club in the 1949/50 season. Now reside in Spain but I have still seen two matches live this season and all others, both home and away, have been watched over the internet.   Have enjoyed the good times as well as the bad ones and have had many magic memories over the years.  Keep the good times rolling and enjoy every moment.   

Steve_orino

From the great state of Texas as well, the northern part though, Dallas.  Born and raised all 31 years.

February of '08, we had just signed up with a cable provider that had Fox Soccer Channel, and I decided to 'adopt' a PL team.  For some reason I gravitated to Fulham and I'm still not exactly sure what "it" was but the club has been a perfect fit.

After learning about relegation that May, it's been smooth sailing as a Fulham-follower (won't consider myself a supporter until after 5 years or a pilgrimage is made to CC).  Everyone talks about what a great manager Mr. Hodgson is but I like to think that it's my support of the club that has coincided with the great run of form the club has had since that relegation battle. <tounge firmly in cheek on that last sentence :)>

I follow the local club FC Dallas and have made it for a couple of games.  Other than them, there really hasn't been another club that I've followed.

COYW!
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

RidgeRider

Well, I am a 5th generation Californian and live in the very first foothills of the Sierra's 20 minutes east of Sacramento. Was born in the fantastic but weird city of San Francisco and have spent most of my years living in or near 'Baghdad by the Bay'.

Never played footie growing up, stuck with Basketball, Baseball, and American Football. My first real interest in football came about with the national prominence of the university I attended and then a few years ago I coached my daughter in U6's for two years. My kids have continued to play and my interest in the sport has increased.

Sometime in late October of 2007, I happened by Fox Soccer Channel and starting watching a Prem game. For the first time I actually enjoyed watching a match on TV after many attempts to take in a US, Mexican, Central American, or South American match. The English version of the game is just so much better in it's energy and aggression...I was hooked.

After about two weeks of watching matches and tireless research, it came down to Villa, Everton, Tottenham, and Fulham...in the end I chose Fulham over Everton. Three reasons: smaller side that didn't win all that much (I don't like following winners when I have a choice), Brian McBride, and finally after i read about the history and saw pictures of the Cottage, I knew it had to be Fulham. Craven Cottage is so unique that it's historic nature, lured me in and in the end, it was the deciding factor.  It has this presence about it that I have only felt when attending games at Wrigley Field or Fenway Park.

Now I follow Fulham at the exclusion of every other sport except cylcing including the NBA (Warriors), NFL (Niners) and MLB (Giants).

It's all I really need and look forward to these days...well that an a nice long bike ride.  :)

COYW!!!

Logicalman

1. Born and Bred Fulham (then Hammersmith)
2. Cos they were the closest and the first match I can remember going to
3. There are other teams? Where? It's a lie I tell you, a conspiracy, Elvis told me just the other day ....

timmyg

1) What country and city/town are you from?
Originally from right outside Worcester, MA; now call Baltimore, MD my home. And probably will continue to do so if/when I move elsewhere.

2) Why do you support The Fulham Football Club?
They found me. But I have not ceased to because I honestly think we have some of the most knowledgeable, and friendly, fans here or in England.

3) Did you support another team before Fulham?
Soccer? No. Other sports? Sure -- the local New England/Worcester teams I grew up with.
"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

jarv

Born, Scotland (west coast) and proud of it.
Moved to Southfields when I was 11 to a small flat with my mother. (parents separated then) Glasgow had little to offer.
A chap she met at work, Arthur, offered to take me to Fulham. Instantly, I became a Johnny Haynes fan.  He was even better than Jim baxter (haynes, not Arthur).

Fulham to me is not just about football. Several years later, Arthur was to become my stepfather and  until he died a few years ago, one of my best friends. He was a fantastic grandfather to my two children even though moving to USA limited the visits. He was a great father figure to me, central figure of our family.

On my annual visit home, when I walk through bishops park to a game, I recall those early days with him. The excitement of getting in early to get a good spot and he would buy me a programme. (I still have them).

Southfields, coincidence....my son moved to London when he finished university in boston. Got a job in the city and found a flat....in Southfields. The opposite side of the park to where I lived with mum all those years ago. (Off wimbledon park road). The first game I took him to years ago was at west ham, so he followed them (from USA on tv) . However, in his 3 years in London, he has now become a true Fulham supporter, although back in USA now. In fact, yesterday I called him to tell him about BZ winner against the brummies.

Arhtur would have loved  to see Fulham today, after all those disappointing days.

AmericanJames

The Great Lakes State of Michigan, born in Detroit currently in the West side of our great state (Big Rapids, 45 mins north of Grand Rapids) attending university.
Why Fulham? My older brother became Fulham after Dempsey got transferred and i followed shortly.
Other teams? I still root for Celtic in the Champions League, and in my young naive days when I took a liking to football you could say I was a wet spam fan, but I have smartened up :)
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

TheDaddy

You sentimental fools !  :'(

You've given me goose bumps (Im a big softy)

Keep them come guys there all great reads

Us brits are nosey buggers !  ;D

"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

finnster01

I guess since I am in the process of making a permanent move to New York, I belong here.

Was born in London, in a part called Islington (Major Arsenal territory). My father was born and bred in SW6 and was Fulham through and through, as was his dad. The rest of the family all Arsenal except one uncle who always was Fulham. As a kid we moved back to SW6 and Fulham (Bloom Park Rd). My dad died when I was young, but not before he took me to Wembley in 1975. My mom then moved back to Islington but my uncle took up where my father left and made sure I stayed Fulham and would take me to the Cottage on a regular basis. As I grew up, joined the Royal Navy, fought in the Falklands, came back barely in one piece but alive, graduated from university, started my own business, did decent I guess, and even opened a US office in New York.

Anyway, have spent more time in New York the last 6 months than anywhere else and have decided to become a yank I guess. The other big reason is my girlfriend is a native New Yorker.

I have been treated extremely well here in New York and by the Americans, and it is very hard not to like what I see. So to all the yanks out there, thank you!! COYW!!!!!

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

BrissyBoy

I live in Brisbane Australia but the family originally came from South Wales. My dad actually hailed from Stourbridge near Birmingham and my mum came from Cork in Ireland, so quite a mixture. I came to follow FFC through my late dad as he was a great fan of Mr Haynes. Dad was in the RAF and spent some time at Northolt and used to go to the Cottage when he could. I followed Newport County as a young lad before moving to Woollongong and basically turning to Rugby League. However, always kept an interest in the English leagues and watched the games on SBS back in those days. Now I watch it all on Fox and the coverage is excellent. I had the opportuniy to recently spend 2 years living in Wandsworth and became a season ticket holder at the Cottage. Watched some great games such as beating the Arse, Manure, Spuds, the cup games at Sheff Wed and Swansea and the draw at home to Chelski when Clint scored the equaliser and the Hammy End went crazzzzzzy!!!.....Not forgetting Gera's goal against Manure of course.
I am now back in Oz with great memories of those days watching Fulham and the progress under Sir Roy. It was fantastic to see the result on Thursday and I am hoping they can continue in both the Europa and FA Cups. I am still the very proud owner of an Aaron Hughes No 18 jersey.

McBridefan1

We the people of the United States gratefully and happily accept the request of one Fineus Finnster McFinn I(the first) to become an American, welcome and congratulations, and maybe even my appologies.

I was born and raised in Lowell Massachusettes, currently reside north of the border (here that means New Hampshire not Canada). I first found the great sport of soccer in '02 when my inlaws, more specifically my brother in law, kept telling me how Portugal were unbeatable and should win the world cup with their "golden generation", so the best I could hope for the tiny american boys was a lucky second place finish. The rest of that story is history. But I immediately became a Brian McBride fan and to a lesser extent a Donavan and Beasley fan as well, since only Brian was making a real impact "over seas" I followed him to Fulham but as I've said I stay because of the friends I've made since being here. It has been one hell of a rollercoaster ride since joining the Fulham faithful, and I know I've made the right choice. I'm not as visable online these days but I never miss a televised game and listen to Gentleman Jim whenever I can.  Although apparently not this month as seeing Nicky Shorey on our squad was a nice surprise for me today, when did that happen?

Vinnieffc

Born in Co. Wicklow, Ireland

My cousins are Fulham fans and lived in Lysia St near the ground. They got me into going to the Cottage and I haven't looked back since.

Before (and after) moving to England, I was an Arsenal fan, which was tough as I as playing for Wolves Youths as a lad !! 

MrCheviot

I'm originally from Rochester, NY, and I've lived in London (Hoxton Sq) & Barcelona and these days I call Brooklyn home.  As a kid I played soccer in one of the ubiquitous youth leagues here in the states, and because I was tall and could really hoof it they stuck me between the posts. I must admit that throughout school my main passion was lacrosse, and I eventually gave that up along with soccer when I had the chance to play junior olympic volleyball year-round.

The short answer to why I support Fulham, along with a number of other dubious choices I've made in my life: "because of a girl."

I started watching European football in college - would come home from class in the afternoon and would find UEFA matches on one of the cable sports channels. I remember being enthralled by the fluidity, the passion, and even John Motson. I was intrigued by the notion that teams like Dynamo Kiev, Galatasaray, Benfica and Ajax came from far away places to compete for trophies and glory, but at the time I didn't really understand the pecking order of continental football or owe any allegiance to a club.

As I was finishing up my degrees in '99-00, I started work at an investment firm. There was a particularly fetching English woman who worked there, 3-4 years older than I, equipped with deep chestnut eyes and sublime accent which did nothing but encourage the flirtatious tension between us. And she was from Fulham.

"Fulham?" I asked. "Never heard of them, but I really enjoy watching European matches on tv."

"We're not very good" she replied, "certainly not good enough to be on the tele. But it's in my blood and recently we've done better..."

I'm not sure if it was the chance to cheer on a not-so-good team (besides the Red Sox, I support the Buffalo teams here in the US and they're pretty awful), if I got caught up in the promotion to the top flight that spring, or if it was simply her smile that did me in. But I had certainly found a European club to call my own.

She moved on to another company before the 00/01 season started and before I was aware how much the team would grow on me, so we never really had a chance to become Fulham mates.. or any type of mate for that matter. I do know how to reach her these days, and will admit to having thoughts of ringing her up and telling her about my trips to the Cottage and to Rome and babbling Fulham nonsense in her ear and letting her know I still follow the team simply because she mentioned it to me one day so many years ago. But as soon as I do I'm confronted with thoughts of a creepy/awkward conversation during which I would have to expose the lasting impression she made on me as a younger man, and I instead resign myself to enjoying all of my wonderful Fulham memories - just the way they are.

"Zamora!! What About that? We have seen some brilliant football from Shakhtar Donetsk tonight, but nothing.. nothing quite as good as that!"

YankeeJim

Quote from: MrCheviot on March 04, 2010, 04:40:41 AM
I'm originally from Rochester, NY, and I've lived in London (Hoxton Sq) & Barcelona and these days I call Brooklyn home.  As a kid I played soccer in one of the ubiquitous youth leagues here in the states, and because I was tall and could really hoof it they stuck me between the posts. I must admit that throughout school my main passion was lacrosse, and I eventually gave that up along with soccer when I had the chance to play junior olympic volleyball year-round.

The short answer to why I support Fulham, along with a number of other dubious choices I've made in my life: "because of a girl."

I started watching European football in college - would come home from class in the afternoon and would find UEFA matches on one of the cable sports channels. I remember being enthralled by the fluidity, the passion, and even John Motson. I was intrigued by the notion that teams like Dynamo Kiev, Galatasaray, Benfica and Ajax came from far away places to compete for trophies and glory, but at the time I didn't really understand the pecking order of continental football or owe any allegiance to a club.

As I was finishing up my degrees in '99-00, I started work at an investment firm. There was a particularly fetching English woman who worked there, 3-4 years older than I, equipped with deep chestnut eyes and sublime accent which did nothing but encourage the flirtatious tension between us. And she was from Fulham.

"Fulham?" I asked. "Never heard of them, but I really enjoy watching European matches on tv."

"We're not very good" she replied, "certainly not good enough to be on the tele. But it's in my blood and recently we've done better..."

I'm not sure if it was the chance to cheer on a not-so-good team (besides the Red Sox, I support the Buffalo teams here in the US and they're pretty awful), if I got caught up in the promotion to the top flight that spring, or if it was simply her smile that did me in. But I had certainly found a European club to call my own.

She moved on to another company before the 00/01 season started and before I was aware how much the team would grow on me, so we never really had a chance to become Fulham mates.. or any type of mate for that matter. I do know how to reach her these days, and will admit to having thoughts of ringing her up and telling her about my trips to the Cottage and to Rome and babbling Fulham nonsense in her ear and letting her know I still follow the team simply because she mentioned it to me one day so many years ago. But as soon as I do I'm confronted with thoughts of a creepy/awkward conversation during which I would have to expose the lasting impression she made on me as a younger man, and I instead resign myself to enjoying all of my wonderful Fulham memories - just the way they are.

Dude, call her up and invite her to watch a match with you. If nothing else she'll be good company and worse case, you'll find as all us old gits have done, that you can't go home again. I'd love to be wrong. Good luck.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

finnster01

Mr Cheviot,

May I suggest something? Life is short, you never know if you will wake up tomorrow. I have learnt the hard way not to take anything for granted on that front. This lady has been on your mind for a long time mate.

Grow some balls and go for it lad. Sort it out and take her to the Cottage. She is a Fulham girl. It would be very Fulhamish for her to say yes. Prime target could even be our second visit ever to Wembley if we can get past the Yids. 

As my old uncle always used to say "unless you ask, the answer will always be no"
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead