watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Salcido On His Way?

Started by White Noise, March 23, 2011, 11:47:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gozorich

I'm sure someone will correct me but didn't Salcido head a couple off the line against Everton or was that someone else?

TonyGilroy

Quote from: Gozorich on March 23, 2011, 05:16:21 PM
I'm sure someone will correct me but didn't Salcido head a couple off the line against Everton or was that someone else?

I think you'll find he was too slow to get out of the way.

Did you know he eats babies?

AlFayedsChequebook

:011:
Quote from: TonyGilroy on March 23, 2011, 05:17:53 PM
Quote from: Gozorich on March 23, 2011, 05:16:21 PM

I think you'll find he was too slow to get out of the way.

Did you know he eats babies?
:011: :011: :011:

HatterDon

A couple of points.

1. I don't think Hughes signed Salcido for one year only to sell him at a loss.

2. If Salcido wanted to play at home, I don't think he would have delayed for one season in England.

3. The ENTIRE BASIS of this story is a tweet he sent to a Mexican-based fan to the effect of "my heart always belongs to Mexico, and I will always bleed the [Mexican] team's colors." I would imagine 75% of players earning their living send the same sort of messages back home to show the "home folks" that they haven't gone all big time.

4. Salcido is NOT a crap defender. He had a couple of poor matches when he was brought back too soon from injury, but he has not cost us games. He has, however, given us a couple of assists and has had some very good moments out there.

5. Salcido in the squad does not make Hangeland play out of position or play poorly. It's Hangeland's job to cover the left side when the LB goes up to support the attack -- regardless of who the LB is. Just as it's Salcido's job to cover the center circle when Hangeland goes up for a corner or free kick.

6. We have a very sound defense right now, and that defense would be weakened with Salcido pulled for a Baird-JP, Baird-Kelley, or Briggs-Baird pairing.

7. Dempsey provides adequate cover for the LB. He just doesn't defend as brilliantly as Duff.

It never ceases to amaze me how some folks "give a dog a bad name" and then believe that every thing that individual does -- even the positive stuff -- is evidence that they're belief is right all along. There's more, but you can find it in my Salcido-Etuhu defense thread.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

richie17

Quote from: HatterDon on March 23, 2011, 06:07:20 PM
A couple of points.

1. I don't think Hughes signed Salcido for one year only to sell him at a loss.

2. If Salcido wanted to play at home, I don't think he would have delayed for one season in England.

3. The ENTIRE BASIS of this story is a tweet he sent to a Mexican-based fan to the effect of "my heart always belongs to Mexico, and I will always bleed the [Mexican] team's colors." I would imagine 75% of players earning their living send the same sort of messages back home to show the "home folks" that they haven't gone all big time.

4. Salcido is NOT a crap defender. He had a couple of poor matches when he was brought back too soon from injury, but he has not cost us games. He has, however, given us a couple of assists and has had some very good moments out there.

5. Salcido in the squad does not make Hangeland play out of position or play poorly. It's Hangeland's job to cover the left side when the LB goes up to support the attack -- regardless of who the LB is. Just as it's Salcido's job to cover the center circle when Hangeland goes up for a corner or free kick.

6. We have a very sound defense right now, and that defense would be weakened with Salcido pulled for a Baird-JP, Baird-Kelley, or Briggs-Baird pairing.

7. Dempsey provides adequate cover for the LB. He just doesn't defend as brilliantly as Duff.

It never ceases to amaze me how some folks "give a dog a bad name" and then believe that every thing that individual does -- even the positive stuff -- is evidence that they're belief is right all along. There's more, but you can find it in my Salcido-Etuhu defense thread.

Yep yep yep.

I think your point 4 is the key one - his bad games came when he was rushed back.

He can be dazzlingly good going forwards, is decent at the back.  There's more to like than dislike.  But as we know, someone has to get the negative vibes, eh?

vagrant

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on March 23, 2011, 04:51:51 PM
Quote from: SoCalJoe on March 23, 2011, 04:11:15 PM
No way he would go back to Chivas (even though Salcido would far prefer to go home to Guadalajara than Monterrey). The new owner, despite being one of the richest men in Mexico, is notoriously cheap with wages.

If he was younger, then working on his defensive deficiencies would be the option. However, at his age and if indeed he has family issues at home and his mind isn't 100% focused on his job and adapting to living in England then sell him.

Just a little correction here and there. Carlos Slim owns Chivas de Guadalajara. He's the richest man in the World ($70 billion) and he's not a very new owner. He's owned the team for at least several years. He may be cheap, but I don't believe his actions with Chivas demonstrate that so much. Chivas have one of the best youth setups in Mexico and they regularly bring thru their own players (see: Chicharito), which in effect keeps their wages down.

Salcido won't be going back to Chivas because he wants a team that will start him. Chivas have a 20 yr old LB named Ponce who's been playing really well for them in the league and in Libertadores. No way Salcido replaces him.

Just sayin'

Would love it if we could sign a player called Ponce........

Matt

"Briggs, Briggs will tear you apart again!"
Oh you lucky people, we're the best team in the land!

NogoodBoyo

Not much wrong with Salcido.  Not much wrong with opinions.  Except when they're piss-potted black and poorly presented.
Now I'm off to read a John Le Carre long story.
Nogood "snookered, isit" Boyo

michaelread

what would a fulham 11 be without a scapegoat, eh?

seriously, Salcido has all the tools needed to succeed at this level. He just needs to bulk up and have his proper rehabilitation time rather than playing on injured legs.

Salcido will be our leader in assists next season.

Watch this space.

Snibbo

Yes, we never learn do we. How many players do we write off in their early days at the club, and then find out in the 2nd and 3rd season that they are actually pretty reasonable?

Let me start with a Chris Baird, and I'll raise you a Bobby Zamora.

sipwell

I don't think Salcido will ever show his full potential if he doesn't learn to speak English. It was all right, Mr. Salcido, to expect your colleagues over at PSV to shout to you in Spanish (he wasn't the only Spanish speaker), but if there are no other Spanish team mates, you should do an effort yourself.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: sipwell on March 24, 2011, 10:48:22 AM
I don't think Salcido will ever show his full potential if he doesn't learn to speak English. It was all right, Mr. Salcido, to expect your colleagues over at PSV to shout to you in Spanish (he wasn't the only Spanish speaker), but if there are no other Spanish team mates, you should do an effort yourself.

How do you know he is not learning?

The man has never played in a country where the first language is English until now, I would give him a bit of a break.

finnster01

Quote from: Snibbo on March 24, 2011, 08:02:53 AM
Yes, we never learn do we. How many players do we write off in their early days at the club, and then find out in the 2nd and 3rd season that they are actually pretty reasonable?

Let me start with a Chris Baird, and I'll raise you a Bobby Zamora.
And I'll counter with Steve Marlet and all in.

He played two good games, and it was all downhill from there. Sounds familiar? Except Salsa didn't come with a 11.5 million quid price tag in 2001

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

sipwell

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on March 24, 2011, 11:01:14 AM

The man has never played in a country where the first language is English until now, I would give him a bit of a break.

He played for 4 (four) seasons in PSV Eindhoven, where the main language (next to Dutch) is ... English. All of his interviews are in Spanish... because PSV has had a long history of Spanish speakers (so they always have a staff member who speaks the language). He hasn't done an effort then, why would he know?

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: sipwell on March 24, 2011, 11:25:06 AM

He played for 4 (four) seasons in PSV Eindhoven, where the main language (next to Dutch) is ... English. All of his interviews are in Spanish... because PSV has had a long history of Spanish speakers (so they always have a staff member who speaks the language). He hasn't done an effort then, why would he know?

Because he is in England and lets face it, the English do not really like adapting to foreign speakers!

sipwell

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on March 24, 2011, 11:27:33 AM

Because he is in England and lets face it, the English do not really like adapting to foreign speakers!

That makes the point: PSV communicates with its players in English. Surely it would have eased his stay in Holland  ;-)

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: sipwell on March 24, 2011, 12:00:41 PM
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on March 24, 2011, 11:27:33 AM

That makes the point: PSV communicates with its players in English. Surely it would have eased his stay in Holland  ;-)

Interesting, I did not realise that PSV did this. Is this common in Holland?

McBridefan1

I like salsa, he is an adequate defender and in my opinion has had a couple very good defensive games and he gets forward better than any defender we've had since I've been here...errrrr... well except for Volz... maybe we should bring Moritz back?   but even he is a better right side player. Hang in there with Salsa he will get better with familiarity...

alfie

I think he should just sit back and wait, next season another player will be selected as the man to hate, it is oh so easy to sit behind a keyboard and slag someone off, the guy is out their each week giving it a go, i may be wrong but each game i see i reckon Hangeland makes just as many and in same cases more errors than salcedo but of course Hangers is the great hero at the moment.

It seems to be the great Fulham supporter hobby "slagging off our own players"
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

ron

....or maybe demanding a level of skill and application from our players to justify their spectacular wages in return for our outlaying our hard earned funds in watching them?