more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Riverside Development Update

Started by Friendsoffulham, June 06, 2019, 02:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70sPimlico

Doesn't fit in modern times

Is exactly why it is high up on many peoples nicest grounds. The problem with modern grounds based on "fitting in modern times" is that very often about 20 years later, they look a bit drab because times have moved on. Wembley being an example.

I happen to disagree with you

fcfulham55

The old wembley looked awful.  I couldn't  disagree more.

Otherwise. Lets all go back to horse's and carriages, because they have more Character than the new upcoming electric cars? Time to let go of some things, take a picture for keepsake.

It'll become not fit for purpose sooner than later (now imho)
Sent from my Nokia 3310

70sPimlico

Quote from: fcfulham55 on December 09, 2020, 01:14:28 PM

Otherwise. Lets all go back to horse's and carriages, because they have more Character than the new upcoming electric cars? Time to let go of some things, take a picture for keepsake.

It's purpose is to let people watch a football match and the JH stand has been pretty good for that for 115 years. I have an electric car. Actually, I think it looks pretty good

Jim©

Quote from: fcfulham55 on December 09, 2020, 12:47:44 PM
Quote from: alfie on December 09, 2020, 10:17:21 AM
I must be the only Fulham supporter that thinks the JH stand is ugly, in saying that I really love its history and what it means to club/supporters, but I think it's an eyesore. Sorry but that's life.

Nope I think it looks embarrassing to be in the Premier League with a stand like the JH.   Keep the external facade, perhaps 're use the wooden seats, but the roof and all those pillars don't fit in modern times.

"embarrassing to be in the Premier League with a stand like the JH"??
Personally I think it is what some of the new identikit stadiums lack. You go to Cardiff, Southampton, new Plough lane, Brentfords new ground, they're all drab structures that look similar to one another. Walking around the outside on dull concrete walkways just doesn't give you the same feeling as wandering down Finlay St on matchday and seeing the redbrick stand nestled in amongst the houses.
There's a reason that it's continually voted fans' favourite ground.

BTW- Forest Green's new stadium will be interesting (a wooden structure!)

JimOG

Could any kind tech-savvy contributor repost that brilliant video of Fulham (& many other) ground developments please. It was on here early in the year.
I think it showed that not all new grounds have to be Legolands but also the section showing the finished Fulham stand was brilliant.

Thanks

Jambo

Part of the appeal of Craven Cottage is its uniqueness.  In the 80's and 90's it wouldn't have been looked at twice but as old grounds get knocked down for monstrosities like Brentfords new stadium and stadiums that all look the same but with different colour seats CC will only continue to be on everyone's favourite ground lists.  The new stand is equally unique and nothing like any other stand I've seen, that placed opposite the JH stand will only add to the personality of the place.  I for one wouldn't be against the Hammersmith and Putney ends being developed but the JH stand should remain...... and as for it being and embarrassment..... not a chance. 
We all see the game differently, FoF has taught me that.

@jambohunt

http://jameshuntbw.blogspot.co.uk/

JimOG

Quote from: JimOG on December 09, 2020, 01:43:58 PM
Could any kind tech-savvy contributor repost that brilliant video of Fulham (& many other) ground developments please. It was on here early in the year.
I think it showed that not all new grounds have to be Legolands but also the section showing the finished Fulham stand was brilliant.

Thanks

I found this (ignore chipmonks!!) but it's not as good as the one posted on here earlier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkpPWGf2LUs

_Putney_

Just to clarify, I love the JH. :)

ianthailand

RE mrmicawbers comment on page 40 leaving only the fa-cade on the Johnny Haynes. I may be wrong but i seem to remember the wooden seats and turnstiles being included in the listing application. I believe every piece of land that qualified for listing was included to make it more difficult for potential developers. This, if i'm correct will make it more difficult to update the stand. Please someone correct me if i am wrong.

70sPimlico

Quote from: Jambo on December 09, 2020, 02:03:28 PM
Part of the appeal of Craven Cottage is its uniqueness.  In the 80's and 90's it wouldn't have been looked at twice but as old grounds get knocked down for monstrosities like Brentfords new stadium and stadiums that all look the same but with different colour seats CC will only continue to be on everyone's favourite ground lists.  The new stand is equally unique and nothing like any other stand I've seen, that placed opposite the JH stand will only add to the personality of the place.  I for one wouldn't be against the Hammersmith and Putney ends being developed but the JH stand should remain...... and as for it being and embarrassment..... not a chance.

I concur

MJG

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1079754

Statutory Address:
    GRANDSTAND AND TURNSTILES TO FULHAM FOOTBALL CLUB, STEVENAGE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
    Greater London Authority

District:
    Hammersmith and Fulham (London Borough)

National Grid Reference:
    TQ 23650 76621

Details

TQ 2376 Stevenage Road (West Side)

9/45 Grandstand and turnstiles to Fulham Football Club GV II

Football club grandstand with turnstiles. Built in 1905 to the design of Archibald Leitch.

MATERIALS: Red brick façade with stone dressings; steel trussed roof (not visible from street)covered in corrugated iron.

PLAN: Long frontage to Stevenage Road with covered stand behind. 3 storey street frontage of 27 bays with single-storey attached turnstile blocks to the left and right of 9 and 8 bays respectively.

DESCRIPTION: Almost symmetrical composition with shaped gables to centre 3 bays and to bays 5 and 6 from either side. Arched windows to ground floor and paired exit doors beneath segmental arches; narrow square headed entrances at intervals. Square-headed mullioned windows in triplets to first floor with blind panels between bearing strapwork cartouches. Segmental-headed windows to third storey lighting stand to rear. Behind is a 2-tier stand with a pitched corrugated-iron roof carried on triangular steel trusses with curved lower chords. The front of the roof is cantilevered forward by means of a lateral lattice girder carrying an awning, supported on a series of lattice stanchions. The roof has a central triangular pediment. Upper tier of stand has original wooden seating; modern seating to lower tier. Tunnels lead to former changing rooms beneath.

HISTORY: Fulham FC was founded in 1879 and moved to its present site in 1896. Its popular name: 'Craven Cottage' alludes to an C18 cottage orné which once stood on the site.

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: Of special interest as a well-preserved early surviving example of a football grandstand by Archibald Leitch (1866-1939), the foremost football stadium designer of the early C20. The façade is unusual in that it was a conscious attempt to give ornate treatment to a building type which was usually austere and functional.

SOURCES: English Heritage: Fulham Football Club, Historians' report, 1987; Simon Inglis: Football Grounds of Britain, 1996; Simon Inglis: Engineering Archie, 2005

Listing NGR: TQ2365076621

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:

Legacy System:
    LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inglis, S, Football Grounds of Britain, (1996)
Inglis, S, 'Played In Britain' in Engineering Archie Archibald Leitch Football Ground Designer, (2005)
Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
Just the views of a long term fan

fcfulham55

Quote from: 70sPimlico on December 09, 2020, 01:28:55 PM

It's purpose is to let people watch a football match and the JH stand has been pretty good for that for 115 years. I have an electric car. Actually, I think it looks pretty good

I have one too, and will have a second soon!

Who actually buys and sits in a stand knowing you're going to have a terrible view. 🤦‍♂️

Bar the people ahead of the pillars, some 3k+ behind are crazy imo.  Would never sit there and never will.  Bad enough in h6 h5 h4 and h3. Back in the days of being a poor student and  putting up with that monstrosity of a pillar in the middle.   But it was about getting behind the team vocally. The JH stand however, the fans are just spectators for 98% of the game.  What's the point?
Sent from my Nokia 3310

SouthIslandWhite

The JH Stand is one of the most beautiful and iconic structures in all of sports, not just football. Have you ever walked around Fenway Park in Boston? It is made of old 1911/12 era wood. It is uncomfortable, tight, awkward & full of strange odours. And yes, it is beautiful.  Old can be beautifl and the JH stand is just that. I would be gutted if we ever did anything to change it's general appearance. And so would you if you are being honest.
There is only one Fulham Football Club.

MJG

Quote from: fcfulham55 on December 09, 2020, 05:41:13 PM

Who actually buys and sits in a stand knowing you're going to have a terrible view. 🤦‍♂️

Bar the people ahead of the pillars, some 3k+ behind are crazy imo.  Would never sit there and never will.  Bad enough in h6 h5 h4 and h3. Back in the days of being a poor student and  putting up with that monstrosity of a pillar in the middle.   But it was about getting behind the team vocally. The JH stand however, the fans are just spectators for 98% of the game.  What's the point?
You don't like its fine, but for others it means a lot more than the way you describe it. The point is the history, the view given all its quirks, being close to the cottage where I sit. Give me that rather than open to the elements bottom parts of the Hammersmith and Putney ends. I hope its the last part changed and given how long these things take, I'd say its safe for another 20 plus years.
Just the views of a long term fan

os5889 mkII

Quote from: MJG on December 09, 2020, 05:58:22 PM

You don't like its fine, but for others it means a lot more than the way you describe it. The point is the history, the view given all its quirks, being close to the cottage where I sit. Give me that rather than open to the elements bottom parts of the Hammersmith and Putney ends. I hope its the last part changed and given how long these things take, I'd say its safe for another 20 plus years.

At least! Long live the Stevenage Road Stand.
@OsmithFFC

mrmicawbers

I love J Haynes Heritage,but the down stairs part onthe stand needs be opened up.This can be done these days with steels holding everything up and still keeping what we are well some of us fond of,

SG

Unbelievable comments particularly coming from a Fulham fan.
We are so fortunate to have our ground. Craven Cottage and the JH stand are Fulham

mrmicawbers

Quote from: SG on December 09, 2020, 08:16:53 PM

Unbelievable comments particularly coming from a Fulham fan.
We are so fortunate to have our ground. Craven Cottage and the JH stand are Fulham
[/quote You have obviously never sat in H Block in JH.You change your mind.

mrmicawbers

That comment wasn't for you SG.But to the poster who. Insinuated no noise came out of there.

love4ffc

I feel this thread has gone a stray as the original OP is about "Riverside Development Updates".   Not arguments over the rest of the existing stadium.  Which, I happen to love. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?