watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Riverside Development Update

Started by Friendsoffulham, June 06, 2019, 02:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shepperton white

Personally I think it would be a shame to drastically change JH stand, however there are two areas I think should be updated. Firstly the roof a) because of the restricted view from upper level seats - when the ball gets hefted up in the air you need to wait 30 seconds to see where it reappears! and the staunchions add to the restricted views b)  When sitting at front where the old standing area was, you get absolutely drowned in rainy weather; and despite what some are saying it is a little out of keeping with the rest of the other buildings.  The other change I'd make is to the seats because not only are they bloody uncomfortable the are a considerable fire risk.

MJG

Quote from: shepperton white on December 10, 2020, 12:35:28 PM
Personally I think it would be a shame to drastically change JH stand, however there are two areas I think should be updated. Firstly the roof a) because of the restricted view from upper level seats - when the ball gets hefted up in the air you need to wait 30 seconds to see where it reappears! and the staunchions add to the restricted views b)  When sitting at front where the old standing area was, you get absolutely drowned in rainy weather; and despite what some are saying it is a little out of keeping with the rest of the other buildings.  The other change I'd make is to the seats because not only are they bloody uncomfortable the are a considerable fire risk.
But apart from that its perfect  :54:
Just the views of a long term fan

Colton F.C.

Can I say, over the years, that the restricted viewing within JH has afforded me welcome relief from many of dire episodes of play performed by my team.

filham

No doubt the JH stand is in need of modernisation to provide extra comfort and better viewing. It should be possible to achieve this and retain the historic Stevenage Road facade and leave the Cottage untouched so that the ground retains its character.

Statto

Quote from: fcfulham55 on December 09, 2020, 12:47:44 PM
Quote from: alfie on December 09, 2020, 10:17:21 AM
I must be the only Fulham supporter that thinks the JH stand is ugly, in saying that I really love its history and what it means to club/supporters, but I think it's an eyesore. Sorry but that's life.

Nope I think it looks embarrassing to be in the Premier League with a stand like the JH.   Keep the external facade, perhaps 're use the wooden seats, but the roof and all those pillars don't fit in modern times.

Our ground is widely regarded as one of the best football grounds in the world (if not *the* best) and it's without doubt the single best thing about this club... and that ain't because of the Hammersmith, Putney or old Riverside stands. 

Enfield

One element of the JH needing an immediate upgrade are the victorian toilet facilities. One sink to wash your hands between 50 people is discussing even before Covid.

Riversider

I've travelled back tonight from London Bridge to Plantation Wharf (Battersea) by River, the ferry was travelling on to Putney,
When the new stand is complete and then it morphs into Fulham Pier does this mean the Thames Clipper will add it to its schedule?

Dunstable Fulham

The JH stand needs to stay as it is. No changes please. So many wonderful memories. I just wish we hadn't lost the enclosure. The humour and banter in that place is much missed together with the interaction with the players and the linesmen. My god they used to get a hard time but if they joined in with the banter they were usually forgiven pretty quickly. That stand epitomises everything Fulham - from the gentle wave of applause as the players jog off back to the cottage from their warm up to the forefather spirits who meet in one of the blocks to sort the club out whenever we hit a major crisis - see Dennis Turners History of Fulham book - The cottage and the JH/Stevenage road stand must stay forever - forever Fulham!

Statto

Quote from: Riversider on December 10, 2020, 09:11:04 PM
I've travelled back tonight from London Bridge to Plantation Wharf (Battersea) by River, the ferry was travelling on to Putney,
When the new stand is complete and then it morphs into Fulham Pier does this mean the Thames Clipper will add it to its schedule?

It will be very close to the existing Putney stop so I doubt it

Kemosabe

Quote from: Statto on December 10, 2020, 09:26:39 PM
Quote from: Riversider on December 10, 2020, 09:11:04 PM

It will be very close to the existing Putney stop so I doubt it

But it will be on the opposite side of the river (north bank).  If you look further downstream there are examples of stops that are close together, but on opposite banks:  e.g. by Embankment tube and the Festival Hall or at London Bridge (Hays Wharf) and the Tower of London. 
If there's an actual pier projecting into the river (and it may have to extend some way out given tidal flows, and the fact that it's on the inside bend of the river) then there could be scope for a stop.  Perhaps a match-day only extension to the service...

Kemosabe

Hmm.  Just had a look at the Fulham Pier website.  No sign of an actual pier projecting into the river.

So I guess that will be a no, then.  Shame, as it would be fun to get the boat down from the West End/City on a matchday.  A couple of beers on the way...

I presume that the logistics of a pier into the river made this a non-starter.  it would have to be lengthy (given tidal flows) and would doubtless have interfered with the dinghy sailing and potentially other river traffic as well (not that there's any of that at the moment, with the river closed to all navigation at Hammersmith Bridge!)

SuffolkWhite

I think even if there were a stop at Fulham you would have to wonder if  a bunch of away fans would take it!? Could be problematic if it happened.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

_Putney_

Saw this on LinkedIn earlier.   Saw the truss sitting outside the new stand on the river earlier going for a walk but didn't have my phone with me to take a picture!

Fulham1959

Quote from: _Putney_ on December 12, 2020, 12:37:40 PM

Saw this on LinkedIn earlier.   Saw the truss sitting outside the new stand on the river earlier going for a walk but didn't have my phone with me to take a picture!

So, the truss was going for a walk ?   :005:

_Putney_

Quote from: Fulham1959 on December 12, 2020, 02:32:20 PM
Quote from: _Putney_ on December 12, 2020, 12:37:40 PM

So, the truss was going for a walk ?   :005:

And drinking a grande caramel frappuccino !

SP

Marvellous pictures.  For a place I've been so familiar with for over 50 years, I feel really detached from the Cottage now.  Although I'm not attending matches at the moment, I think I need to make a trip just to wander through the park & have a peek inside.

fcfulham55

Thanks Putney!!

Who's the lunatic standing on it? Wow😂
Sent from my Nokia 3310