more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Coronavirus Thread / New / Old / Merged

Started by I Ronic, March 01, 2020, 11:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFCAli

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on March 23, 2020, 03:44:02 PM
Told postman to stop putting junk mail through letterbox...If one postie is a carrier and sticking them through everyone's doors.
Or am I being paranoid?

The junk mail I got was from Dignity plugging their funeral plans!

Burt

Quote from: Neil D on March 21, 2020, 03:32:35 PM
The hot weather in Sydney (28 degrees today) doesn't seem to be killing off this virus yet we were told this would be the case - if we could just hold out until the summer.  Is this virus resistant to hot weather?  No-one seems to be discussing this possibility.

No sign that it is. I support an office of c200 people in Chennai where the temperature is 25c or more all year around and it's just taking off there. They have just invoked a mandatory "stay at home" order only seen in times of war or civil unrest.

SP

It sickens me to see the BBC footage from Italy where the shops are still fully stocked due to the complete absence of panic buying. 

KingofCheese

Quote from: SP on March 23, 2020, 07:10:32 PM
It sickens me to see the BBC footage from Italy where the shops are still fully stocked due to the complete absence of panic buying.

Yep me too, idiot Italians!
Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas

davew

Quote from: KingofCheese on March 23, 2020, 07:48:55 PM

Is that said in bad taste m8? Maybe it is about supply and demand, the demand is reducing so keep on stockpiling if you are 1 of the selfish doing this in the UK, if you aren´t then I will apologise!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

SuffolkWhite

Quote from: davew on March 23, 2020, 08:09:49 PM

Is that said in bad taste m8? Maybe it is about supply and demand, the demand is reducing so keep on stockpiling if you are 1 of the selfish doing this in the UK, if you aren´t then I will apologise!

I think it's a joke tbf.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

SP

They've just closed the caravan park on the South Coast we use.

F(f)CUK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYWD45FN5zA

Footage emerges from central China back in December.

davew

Quote from: SuffolkWhite on March 23, 2020, 08:13:04 PM
Oh okay sorry, but the latest news is not!

I think it's a joke tbf.
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

kiwian

NZ has gone into L4 lockdown today, even the golf course is closed! 4 weeks of self-isolating starts here. And still d***heads are lining up at supermarkets when they open.
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?

toshes mate

Quote from: Burt on March 23, 2020, 06:18:21 PM
The hot weather in Sydney (28 degrees today) doesn't seem to be killing off this virus yet we were told this would be the case - if we could just hold out until the summer.  Is this virus resistant to hot weather?  No-one seems to be discussing this possibility.

No sign that it is. I support an office of c200 people in Chennai where the temperature is 25c or more all year around and it's just taking off there. They have just invoked a mandatory "stay at home" order only seen in times of war or civil unrest.
The evidence I have seen from those who know about epidemics is that the virus spreads efficiently between good hosts from the start and an optimum host is someone who either doesn't get sick too quickly or doesn't get sick at all thus infecting as many others as it can before the virus dies in that most effective of hosts.  It is the lack of comprehensive testing that is failing to identify those effective hosts.

toshes mate

Here is a deeper look at the Diamond Princess Cruise Ship experience and evidence that the virus can survive seventeen days on suitable surfaces ...

https://www.michaelsmithnews.com/2020/03/chinese-coronavirus-survived-for-17-days-on-cruise-ship-after-cabins-were-vacated-us-cdc-study.html

sarnian

Can you believe it. Flew back from Maldives yesterday ( went on 8 March before anything became serious here ) and the stewardesses had to hide toilet rolls because people on board were pinching them.

Holders

Quote from: toshes mate on March 24, 2020, 07:49:30 AM
Quote from: Burt on March 23, 2020, 06:18:21 PM

The evidence I have seen from those who know about epidemics is that the virus spreads efficiently between good hosts from the start and an optimum host is someone who either doesn't get sick too quickly or doesn't get sick at all thus infecting as many others as it can before the virus dies in that most effective of hosts.  It is the lack of comprehensive testing that is failing to identify those effective hosts.

On this subject, TM, you are right on the ball. We had weeks of lead time to stock up on essentials and wasted them.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Mince n Tatties

Troops in Spain have found care homes abandoned with folk inside,some dead in their beds.
Investigation underway,I should bloody well think so..
Terrible being abandoned like that.

toshes mate

It will be Tokyo Olympics 2021 as a decision is finally made.  Probably the only sensible route given the absolute dissaray there has been in the qualifying competitions that have been recently abandoned, but it is still sad to see so much being lost to a virus that has been allowed to get out of control rather than being under control from day one (whenever that may have been).  I do hope that the real lesson learned for the future is for all nations to realise how seemingly unpredictable these outbreaks can be, and how predictable it is that the moment you lose the ability to track a virus you endanger far too many people which causes panic, selfishness and ever greater risk.   

I especially like this history and summary of epidemics by Victor Davis Hanson using statistics but ending up with how this story is all about humility and the great gifts it brings with it.

https://www.city-journal.org/coronavirus-pandemic-humility#.XnZErksn-Pc.twitter       

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

KingofCheese

Quote from: SuffolkWhite on March 23, 2020, 08:13:04 PM

I think it's a joke tbf.

It was and thanks.
Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas

KingofCheese

Quote from: sarnian on March 24, 2020, 09:13:05 AM
Can you believe it. Flew back from Maldives yesterday ( went on 8 March before anything became serious here ) and the stewardesses had to hide toilet rolls because people on board were pinching them.

people want to feel they are in control and they think that toilet rolls gives that to the. Went to the Co-op last night to get some milk and there were toilet rolls there - because there isnt a shortage of them..only clowns hoarding them.
Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas

Holders

Quote from: KingofCheese on March 24, 2020, 02:47:22 PM
Quote from: sarnian on March 24, 2020, 09:13:05 AM

people want to feel they are in control and they think that toilet rolls gives that to the. Went to the Co-op last night to get some milk and there were toilet rolls there - because there isnt a shortage of them..only clowns hoarding them.

Dustmen reporting more vegetables being thrown away as people had over-bought on fresh.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria