more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Coronavirus Thread / New / Old / Merged

Started by I Ronic, March 01, 2020, 11:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toshes mate

From an article by Ruiyun Li, Sen Pei et al, published in Science 16/3/2020

"Our findings also indicate that a radical increase in the identification and isolation of currently undocumented* infections would be needed to fully control SARS-CoV2."   

(* undocumented here means the person was unaware they had been infected with the virus i.e. asymptomatic , very mild or even mild)

The authors modelled the epidemic in China and found that had these cases been identified and isolated the infection rate would have been reduced by 79% in China overall and by 66% in Wuhan.

Holders

That's a further powerful case for extensive testing.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Logicalman

Quote from: Holders on March 21, 2020, 12:48:39 PM
That's a further powerful case for extensive testing.

... and mandatory isolation!
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Fulham 442

Quote from: davew on March 20, 2020, 07:44:40 PM
Quote from: Milo on March 20, 2020, 06:48:44 PM
I think he made it clear that lockdown too early and you risk people getting fatigue and breaking the rules after a few weeks. Have to push the button at the right time. Sounds sensible to me.
Of course it does and to me also, but I am not sure that changing things every few days has a significant effect? Obviously supermarkets and other food shops and pharmacies need to remain open, not trying to be argumentative, but now most children are at home they can go shopping with their parent(s), so more people in the shops during the week than before, increases the risk doesn´t it? By the way I don´t know the answer either! Annoyed me today that I could only buy 3 bottles of wine from Tesco, people must have had some prewarning that pubs were going to shut, not sure if you are allowed 3 items of each wine or 3 bottles in total. I only bought 2 litre bottles of gin though!
We are in lockdown in southern Spain and have been for almost a week now.  Only one person is allowed in a supermarket at a time to limit the numbers so we take it in turns to go.  Similarly we are allowed out to walk our dog but only in the vicinity of our house and again only singly.  At least our wine purchases aren't being rationed!  In fact nothing is.  Everyone is behaving quite sensibly and although stocks are low on some items from time to time they soon get replenished.  We can buy plenty of fresh fruit and veg, meat and fish.  No problems with pasta or loo rolls either...

I Ronic

Quote from: Fulham 442 on March 21, 2020, 01:01:54 PM
Quote from: davew on March 20, 2020, 07:44:40 PM
Quote from: Milo on March 20, 2020, 06:48:44 PM
I think he made it clear that lockdown too early and you risk people getting fatigue and breaking the rules after a few weeks. Have to push the button at the right time. Sounds sensible to me.
Of course it does and to me also, but I am not sure that changing things every few days has a significant effect? Obviously supermarkets and other food shops and pharmacies need to remain open, not trying to be argumentative, but now most children are at home they can go shopping with their parent(s), so more people in the shops during the week than before, increases the risk doesn´t it? By the way I don´t know the answer either! Annoyed me today that I could only buy 3 bottles of wine from Tesco, people must have had some prewarning that pubs were going to shut, not sure if you are allowed 3 items of each wine or 3 bottles in total. I only bought 2 litre bottles of gin though!
We are in lockdown in southern Spain and have been for almost a week now.  Only one person is allowed in a supermarket at a time to limit the numbers so we take it in turns to go.  Similarly we are allowed out to walk our dog but only in the vicinity of our house and again only singly.  At least our wine purchases aren't being rationed!  In fact nothing is.  Everyone is behaving quite sensibly and although stocks are low on some items from time to time they soon get replenished.  We can buy plenty of fresh fruit and veg, meat and fish.  No problems with pasta or loo rolls either...

Be interested to know how people are coping with everyday live outside of the UK.

Neil D

The hot weather in Sydney (28 degrees today) doesn't seem to be killing off this virus yet we were told this would be the case - if we could just hold out until the summer.  Is this virus resistant to hot weather?  No-one seems to be discussing this possibility.

fulhamben

Quote from: Neil D on March 21, 2020, 03:32:35 PM
The hot weather in Sydney (28 degrees today) doesn't seem to be killing off this virus yet we were told this would be the case - if we could just hold out until the summer.  Is this virus resistant to hot weather?  No-one seems to be discussing this possibility.
thebholding out in the summer is so that the nhs isn't fighting corona and influenza at the same time
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

toshes mate

Quote from: fulhamben on March 21, 2020, 03:42:03 PM
Quote from: Neil D on March 21, 2020, 03:32:35 PM
thebholding out in the summer is so that the nhs isn't fighting corona and influenza at the same time
Fighting both has probably been happening everywhere since not all causes of death will be clearly identified as covid19 unless it is being looked for and tested for specifically.  It has also been suggested that some deaths may have been put down to covid19 when in fact the infection may not have been the main cause.  This is primarily happening because the testing and isolation is not comprehensive and the vast majority of infected cases are going under the radar where they can still harmfully infect others even if they are not suffering symptoms themselves.

Steeeeeeeeeed

SP

I thought I'd do some guardening today & immediately started sneezing due to hayfever, the icing on the cake.

GloucesterWhite

My son has a senior position at the University of Warwick. He tells me the university has just agreed to make its accommodation (about 8000 rooms) available to the NHS. Space for medical staff who don't want to go home and risk infecting family, and for patients who are recovering, or who don't need intensive care.

Mince n Tatties

Told postman to stop putting junk mail through letterbox...If one postie is a carrier and sticking them through everyone's doors.
Or am I being paranoid?

fulhamben

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on March 23, 2020, 03:44:02 PM
Told postman to stop putting junk mail through letterbox...If one postie is a carrier and sticking them through everyone's doors.
Or am I being paranoid?
that depends, have you asked him to stop delivering all your mail or just junk mail. If it's the latter then yes you are paranoid

KingofCheese

Quote from: Robbie on March 01, 2020, 06:17:04 PM
It is bad flu and will be non-news by the end of the Month.

Still believe this Robbie?
Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: fulhamben on March 23, 2020, 03:51:49 PM
Or am I being paranoid?
that depends, have you asked him to stop delivering all your mail or just junk mail. If it's the latter then yes you are paranoid

Its lots of junk we get all the time,only other mail is bills,like gas today.
All that junk mail is being handled by how many before postie...lol
Just a thought that it could be being passed on that say...Yes the wife believes I'm being paranoid.. lol

fulhamben

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on March 23, 2020, 04:00:33 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on March 23, 2020, 03:51:49 PM
Or am I being paranoid?

Its lots of junk we get all the time,only other mail is bills,like gas today.
All that junk mail is being handled by how many before postie...lol
Just a thought that it could be being passed on that say...Yes the wife believes I'm being paranoid.. lol
and that's my point, you believe that junk mail is handled by loads of people yet actual mail isn't. I'm no expert but I'm guessing that junk mail comes straight off the machine and is loaded into packs by machines and then is taken to the post office where sorting staff would allocate it to a postman. (Or woman). Where as id imagine utility bills and the like don't go through such an automated process and would be handled by a human before it gets to the sorting office. Meaning imo that the bills would be handled far more than junk mail.

Mince n Tatties

And then there's the Chinese and kebab and pizza places keep delivering them themselves..😑

Mince n Tatties

Hundreds of people queuing round the blocks at McDonald's before they close today....Get a life😵

fulhamben

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on March 23, 2020, 05:20:51 PM
Hundreds of people queuing round the blocks at McDonald's before they close today....Get a life😵
was saying this yesterday. McDonald's should have shut there and then if prime concern was staff. Today was all about selling stock and putting staff more at risk

Mince n Tatties

One good thing might come out of it all, some people might start to eat better and learn to cook,instead of relying on these outlets.Lower obesity as well.