more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Coronavirus Thread / New / Old / Merged

Started by I Ronic, March 01, 2020, 11:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: john dempsey on March 11, 2020, 02:45:30 PM
UK. entry in Eurovision song contest is.
MY LAST BREATH very apt...

Lol
Do we still go in for that,just go get no points from them countries that hate us.

fulhamben

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on March 11, 2020, 03:14:59 PM
Quote from: john dempsey on March 11, 2020, 02:45:30 PM
UK. entry in Eurovision song contest is.
MY LAST BREATH very apt...
unfortunately, because we pay for it, we get guaranteed entry every year.

Lol
Do we still go in for that,just go get no points from them countries that hate us.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Oakeshott

"This is from the editor of The Lancet"

Why on earth take the editor's view rather than that of the Chief Medical Officer and Chief Scientist? They are advising the Government to act in a way they regard as proportional to the risk as they evaluate it. No doubt if they judge that more measures are needed they will recommend them, and unlike numerous party hacks in the Commons (on both sides) they are not inhibited by hopes of  "promotion" but are highly competent professionals who have "made it" and would walk away in a heartbeat if their genuinely held assessments were being ignored by the Prime Minister and Health Secretary.

Holders

Quote from: Oakeshott on March 11, 2020, 05:44:40 PM

Why on earth take the editor's view rather than that of the Chief Medical Officer and Chief Scientist? They are advising the Government to act in a way they regard as proportional to the risk as they evaluate it. No doubt if they judge that more measures are needed they will recommend them, and unlike numerous party hacks in the Commons (on both sides) they are not inhibited by hopes of  "promotion" but are highly competent professionals who have "made it" and would walk away in a heartbeat if their genuinely held assessments were being ignored by the Prime Minister and Health Secretary.

"Increasing divisions" inside UK govt on Coronavirus policy.

Govt medical advisors believe Boris Johnson has attached too great policy say to behavioural economists & "future strategists" favoured by Dominic Cummings....at the expense of traditional medical expertise.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Statto

Quote from: Holders on March 11, 2020, 05:50:46 PM
Govt medical advisors believe Boris Johnson has attached too great policy say to behavioural economists & "future strategists" favoured by Dominic Cummings....at the expense of traditional medical expertise.

James O'Brien was talking about this on LBC today. Naturally he perceived it be some right-wing-ideology-driven thing that was going to get us all killed. Whereas to me it sounded perfectly reasonably, and actually entirely consistent with what the Chief Medical Officer told a parliamentary select committee last week, which is that if we implement drastic measures now, and they fail to contain the virus, people are less likely to listen and adhere to them in a few months' time, when the virus may be much more widespread. As I said up the thread, I think what's distressing most of the public at the moment is they think this thing can be contained, and want to see the government doing all they can to contain it, immediately. Whereas the government, along with the Chief Medical Officer (and today, Angela Merkel) have indicated that containment will not be possible for long, and seem to want to save the most drastic measures for a month's time, when instead of 80 cases per day we could be getting 80,000 or even 800,000, and will desparately need to pull these levers to flatten out the peak over many weeks or months and take the strain of the health service.

southwest6

Quote from: Oakeshott on March 11, 2020, 05:44:40 PM

You clearly have no clue what the Lancet is. The Lancet is one of the top scientific journals out there and so one can only presume that the editor has access to information from the very best scientists in the field.

southwest6

Quote from: Statto on March 11, 2020, 06:08:35 PM
Quote from: Holders on March 11, 2020, 05:50:46 PM

James O'Brien was talking about this on LBC today. Naturally he perceived it be some right-wing-ideology-driven thing that was going to get us all killed. Whereas to me it sounded perfectly reasonably, and actually entirely consistent with what the Chief Medical Officer told a parliamentary select committee last week, which is that if we implement drastic measures now, and they fail to contain the virus, people are less likely to listen and adhere to them in a few months' time, when the virus may be much more widespread. As I said up the thread, I think what's distressing most of the public at the moment is they think this thing can be contained, and want to see the government doing all they can to contain it, immediately. Whereas the government, along with the Chief Medical Officer (and today, Angela Merkel) have indicated that containment will not be possible for long, and seem to want to save the most drastic measures for a month's time, when instead of 80 cases per day we could be getting 80,000 or even 800,000, and will desparately need to pull these levers to flatten out the peak over many weeks or months and take the strain of the health service.

I really cannot stand O'Brien. I've met some perfectly reasonable marxists, however, he certainly ain't one of them. I found this article to be both very informative and also free of any bias, hysteria and so forth. If anyone is interested in reading it here's the link: https://dailynous.com/2020/03/09/thinking-rationally-coronavirus-covid-19-guest-post-alex-broadbent/

Oakeshott

"You clearly have no clue what the Lancet is."

Giving worked for thirty years in the Department of Health and the NHS I am fully aware of what the Lancet is. And having worked with no less than five Chief Medical Officers I am fully aware of who they are and their quality. I have no doubt whatsoever whose advice should be followed.

re James O'Brien, so sad to see a basically clever man lose his mind because his preference for us to stay within the EU (of course widely shared) developed into a pathological obsession.

Woolly Mammoth

Loony Leftie O'Brien has the right face for Radio and the wrong mind for Planet Earth. With the exception of North Korea, Cuba, Saudia Arabia and Venezuela.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

southwest6

Quote from: Oakeshott on March 11, 2020, 08:06:46 PM
"You clearly have no clue what the Lancet is."

Giving worked for thirty years in the Department of Health and the NHS I am fully aware of what the Lancet is. And having worked with no less than five Chief Medical Officers I am fully aware of who they are and their quality. I have no doubt whatsoever whose advice should be followed.

re James O'Brien, so sad to see a basically clever man lose his mind because his preference for us to stay within the EU (of course widely shared) developed into a pathological obsession.

My apologies for assuming that, although given your expertise i'm surprised that you would essentially render the advise of Lancet's editor as illegitimate!

And I agree re O'Brien. I do, however, think he is a classic case of someone who thinks they are smarter than they actually are. He is far too often overly condescending and patronising towards many of the callers. And if you disagree with him, he tends to either employ ad hominems or completely strawman the argument at hand. Or both.
A family member 'gifted' me his recent-ish book; I genuinely have no desire to read it. Perhaps someone can convince me. To me, he comes across as a very angry, bitter and arrogant man. I don't see how such a person (filled with so much hate) can show me ''how to be right'' or do the ''right thing''. Everything he does and what he represents must accord to a certain ideology... I personally find that quite sad (in the literal sense).

MikeTheCubed

James O'Brien: King of Smug. Every time I see his phone-ins all he seems to do with those he disagrees with is paraphrase them in the most condescending and out-of-context manner possible in order to smear them, and then either talk over them or change the subject when they attempt to correct him.

RaySmith

Bit different to the Great Plague of 1665, as written about by Samuel Pepys in his Diary, which killed 100,000 Londoners, a quarter of the population.
Pepys survived, despite living near the Tower of London and  going about his job, which took him to different parts of the city - apparently the fleas, from rats, which carried the plague, didn't like him.

https://www.rmg.co.uk/discover/behind-the-scenes/blog/%C3%A2%E2%82%AC%CB%9Cgod-preserve-us-all%C3%A2%E2%82%AC%E2%84%A2-samuel-pepys-and-great-plague

Incidentally, just read a very funny satire on out social media age  by Ben Elton , Identity Crisis.
Just that a sub plot concerns a middle aged,  unfashionable actor, who reinvents himself starring in a stage show  of Pepys' Diaries - only thing the married  Pepys was a serial womaniser, and writes frankly in his diaries about this, and  the stage show is  suddenly  seen by social media as celebrating  the life of an abuser.....

The Rational Fan

Quote from: RaySmith on March 12, 2020, 03:33:16 AM
Bit different to the Great Plague of 1665, as written about by Samuel Pepys in his Diary, which killed 100,000 Londoners, a quarter of the population.
Pepys survived, despite living near the Tower of London and  going about his job, which took him to different parts of the city - apparently the fleas, from rats, which carried the plague, didn't like him.

The number of cases in the UK is the same as Italy on 26 Feb. Italy has been heavily criticized for waiting 5 days from 26 Feb to 2nd March to act, closing down football, etc. The best the UK can do is close down football 5 days earlier, it is really a no-brainer and it maybe a year until we see another game live.

love4ffc

Trump has informed US citizens that they have till Friday to get back to the States or risk being in a 30 day lockdown period.  Trump has announced after Friday the US will no longer allow people in from Europe except for England. 

My daughter has who went to Spain for spring break and are now sitting in Airports trying to figure how they can get back home. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

The Rational Fan

Quote from: love4ffc on March 12, 2020, 04:55:43 AM
Trump has informed US citizens that they have till Friday to get back to the States or risk being in a 30 day lockdown period.  Trump has announced after Friday the US will no longer allow people in from Europe except for England.  My daughter has who went to Spain for spring break and are now sitting in Airports trying to figure how they can get back home.

History will praise Trump for that decision. The UK should do the same.

RaySmith

Quote from: The Rational Fan on March 12, 2020, 04:55:12 AM

The number of cases in the UK is the same as Italy on 26 Feb. Italy has been heavily criticized for waiting 5 days from 26 Feb to 2nd March to act, closing down football, etc. The best the UK can do is close down football 5 days earlier, it is really a no-brainer and it maybe a year until we see another game live.

I didn't really intend to make a point about our current reaction to CoronaV - only that things were a lot different in those days. Well, life was far worse, and more precarious, in many ways.

But it is interesting to read about this, shows that there's nothing new about disease epidemics,and even in my lifetime various strains of Flu have killed many people - like just after WW2.

But I don't think  governments have any choice but to take this virus very seriously, though I do think there is an air of hysteria and panic.

Personally, I just think it is what it is - I  will accept  whatever the government does, well I don't have much choice, but will try to live  my life as normally as possible.

Although over 70, I'm very fit, and don''t feel vulnerable myself to it developing into a serious. life threatening condition, but am a bit worried about possibly passing it onto my wife, a cancer survivor - though she's generally very healthy. But we're both philosophical about things.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: RaySmith on March 12, 2020, 05:12:41 AM

I didn't really intend to make a point about our current reaction to CoronaV - only that things were a lot different in those days. Well, life was far worse, and more precarious, in many ways.

But it is interesting to read about this, shows that there's nothing new about disease epidemics,and even in my lifetime various strains of Flu have killed many people - like just after WW2.

But I don't think  governments have any choice but to take this virus very seriously, though I do think there is an air of hysteria and panic.

Personally, I just think it is what it is - I  will accept  whatever the government does, well I don't have much choice, but will try to live  my life as normally as possible.

Although over 70, I'm very fit, and don''t feel vulnerable myself, but am a bit worried about possibly passing it onto my wife, a cancer survivor - though she's generally very healthy. But we're both philosophical about things.

https://youtu.be/uS821v3_E50

Here is a video about the coronavirus it Italy on the 29 Feb, they were in the same position that the UK is now. The host is saying the action in Italy is no way near strong enough, we now know that Italy needed to take more drastic action earlier. Italy closed the stadiums 2 days later, the UK will probably close the stadiums in two days so is following the same plan. The UK will be in total lockdown like Italy soon, more drastic action or same results no other options.

Hulan missed the golden period of containment, China outside Wuhan responsed it, Taiwan responsed to it, Iran missed it, Singapore responsed to it, South Korea did ok, Italy missed it and UK seems to be following the Italian model.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: The Rational Fan on March 12, 2020, 06:57:40 AM
Quote from: RaySmith on March 12, 2020, 05:12:41 AM

Although over 70, I'm very fit, and don''t feel vulnerable myself, but am a bit worried about possibly passing it onto my wife, a cancer survivor - though she's generally very healthy. But we're both philosophical about things.

https://youtu.be/uS821v3_E50

Here is a video about the coronavirus it Italy on the 29 Feb, they were in the same position that the UK is now. The host is saying the action in Italy is no way near strong enough, we now know that Italy needed to take more drastic action earlier. Italy closed the stadiums 2 days later, the UK will probably close the stadiums in two days so is following the same plan. The UK will be in total lockdown like Italy soon, more drastic action or same results no other options.

Hulan missed the golden period of containment, China outside Wuhan responsed it, Taiwan responsed to it, Iran missed it, Singapore responsed to it, South Korea did ok, Italy missed it and UK seems to be following the Italian model.

You really need to stop worrying,you'll end up making yourself ill,and you'll end up catching something😁

fulhamben

Quote from: love4ffc on March 12, 2020, 04:55:43 AM
Trump has informed US citizens that they have till Friday to get back to the States or risk being in a 30 day lockdown period.  Trump has announced after Friday the US will no longer allow people in from Europe except for England. 

My daughter has who went to Spain for spring break and are now sitting in Airports trying to figure how they can get back home. 

only British or flights from Britain? If it's the later then we will have lots of possibly infected people making their way here just to try and get to America
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Ognip

I am assuming the Brentford match will be behind closed doors.