watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Coronavirus Thread / New / Old / Merged

Started by I Ronic, March 01, 2020, 11:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ognip

Doubt the bottom 3 in the Premium will think it is a good idea.

I Ronic

Quote from: The Rational Fan on March 12, 2020, 06:57:40 AM
Quote from: RaySmith on March 12, 2020, 05:12:41 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on March 12, 2020, 04:55:12 AM
Quote from: RaySmith on March 12, 2020, 03:33:16 AM
Bit different to the Great Plague of 1665, as written about by Samuel Pepys in his Diary, which killed 100,000 Londoners, a quarter of the population.
Pepys survived, despite living near the Tower of London and  going about his job, which took him to different parts of the city - apparently the fleas, from rats, which carried the plague, didn't like him.

The number of cases in the UK is the same as Italy on 26 Feb. Italy has been heavily criticized for waiting 5 days from 26 Feb to 2nd March to act, closing down football, etc. The best the UK can do is close down football 5 days earlier, it is really a no-brainer and it maybe a year until we see another game live.

I didn't really intend to make a point about our current reaction to CoronaV - only that things were a lot different in those days. Well, life was far worse, and more precarious, in many ways.

But it is interesting to read about this, shows that there's nothing new about disease epidemics,and even in my lifetime various strains of Flu have killed many people - like just after WW2.

But I don't think  governments have any choice but to take this virus very seriously, though I do think there is an air of hysteria and panic.

Personally, I just think it is what it is - I  will accept  whatever the government does, well I don't have much choice, but will try to live  my life as normally as possible.

Although over 70, I'm very fit, and don''t feel vulnerable myself, but am a bit worried about possibly passing it onto my wife, a cancer survivor - though she's generally very healthy. But we're both philosophical about things.

https://youtu.be/uS821v3_E50

Here is a video about the coronavirus it Italy on the 29 Feb, they were in the same position that the UK is now. The host is saying the action in Italy is no way near strong enough, we now know that Italy needed to take more drastic action earlier. Italy closed the stadiums 2 days later, the UK will probably close the stadiums in two days so is following the same plan. The UK will be in total lockdown like Italy soon, more drastic action or same results no other options.

Hulan missed the golden period of containment, China outside Wuhan responsed it, Taiwan responsed to it, Iran missed it, Singapore responsed to it, South Korea did ok, Italy missed it and UK seems to be following the Italian model.

Have a client that works for the NHS. Although their department deals with  diabetes they've had continual updates and Skype meetings. The NHS has a flu pandemic plan. Have done for years. As the problem grows none essential operations will be cancelled and beds freed up. The plan covers lots of stuff and it's all very joined up. My client also added that Italy got caught out because it was only looking for cases from abroad and not within. When they did change tack it was too late. The US looks vulnerable. As their health service is mostly private and State controlled implementation of a national plan because of permissions on several different levels is time consuming, leaving gaps. No doubt one of our American based Whites can give more info on that though.
Although our underfunded NHS is going to struggle with this, I was amazed at the detail and my respect for the service and its people has grown.

toshes mate

A look at the world data on Covid-19 makes interesting and surprising reading on deaths per million of population if you ignore China and Iran as having data inaccuracies.  As others have suggested nations with well drilled policies for coping with epidemics seem to do better than the others.

FFC1987

Probably obvious but my wife is a teacher and told me today it's highly likely schools will be closed from Monday. We'll know more after Cobra obviously but just a heads up.

That's sounds very silly season ITK, apologies!

toshes mate

Some good news about vaccines :

Remdesivir and chloroquine effectively inhibit the recently emerged novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in vitro.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41422-020-0282-0

fulhamben

Quote from: FFC1987 on March 12, 2020, 09:50:19 AM
Probably obvious but my wife is a teacher and told me today it's highly likely schools will be closed from Monday. We'll know more after Cobra obviously but just a heads up.

That's sounds very silly season ITK, apologies!
yes got told the same thing from my daughters head teacher yesterday.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Holders

Quote from: toshes mate on March 12, 2020, 10:15:53 AM

Remdesivir and chloroquine effectively inhibit the recently emerged novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in vitro.

There's also an article (in Italian) that reports that a common anti-inflammatory rheumatoid arthritis drug alleviates the symptoms but I couldn't see the name of it given.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Ged

The Times newspaper

● The current season will not be postponed and instead matches in the Premier League and lower divisions will be moved behind closed doors

● All Premier League season-ticket holders and ticket holders for individual games will be able to stream coverage of matches into their homes

● No games will be shown in pubs so as to avoid congregation of people

● Season-ticket holders and ticket holders for individual games at Football League clubs will be allowed to watch matches on iFollow streams

● Premier League games will not be shown live in the 3pm slot on Saturday afternoons

● Broadcasters will be permitted to screen more than one Premier League game during both the lunchtime and tea-time television slots on Saturday, and the scheduled slots on Sundays and Mondays

Southcoastffc

Cobra Meeting:

The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Holders

Quote from: Southcoastffc on March 12, 2020, 11:08:57 AM
Cobra Meeting:

Too true.

toshes mate

Quote from: Holders on March 12, 2020, 10:43:11 AM

There's also an article (in Italian) that reports that a common anti-inflammatory rheumatoid arthritis drug alleviates the symptoms but I couldn't see the name of it given.
There has been a marked interest in how the virus exploits our auto-immune systems which gives a lot of credence to that.

Holders

Quote from: toshes mate on March 12, 2020, 11:45:31 AM
Quote from: Holders on March 12, 2020, 10:43:11 AM

There has been a marked interest in how the virus exploits our auto-immune systems which gives a lot of credence to that.

I have no technical medical knowledge and can't find the article now but it sounded interesting as it uses a commonplace drug to just alleviate the worst effects (shown in a limited number of cases so far) rather than to be a "cure". I don't read Italian but the drug's name was not in the abstract so maybe they're keeping it under wraps for a bit. This is a fast-moving issue and the Italians have more experience than most.

brightster

John Travolta was hospitalized for suspected COVID-19, he had chills they were multiplying and he was losing control, but doctors now confirm that it was only Saturday Night Fever, and they assure everyone that he is Staying Alive.

Holders

Quote from: brightster on March 12, 2020, 12:29:16 PM
John Travolta was hospitalized for suspected COVID-19, he had chills they were multiplying and he was losing control, but doctors now confirm that it was only Saturday Night Fever, and they assure everyone that he is Staying Alive.

Reportedly, he'd just returned from Greece.

Maidstone Lee

Quote from: brightster on March 12, 2020, 12:29:16 PM

:Haynes The Maestro: :Haynes The Maestro:
Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

Steeeeeeeeeed

March 12th...

Ireland has 43 people tested positive for Cvirus and just had its first death... Closes schools, Churches and any events of over 100 people.

UK... 450 positive Cvirus cases, 8 deaths, Cheltenham Festival and Football continuing and looks like life will carry on as normal for now...just keep washing your hands folks.

Statto

Quote from: Steeeeeeeeeed on March 12, 2020, 01:08:49 PM
March 12th...

Ireland has 43 people tested positive for Cvirus and just had its first death... Closes schools, Churches and any events of over 100 people.

UK... 450 positive Cvirus cases, 8 deaths, Cheltenham Festival and Football continuing and looks like life will carry on as normal for now...just keep washing your hands folks.

Well given Ireland's population is about a twelvth the size of the UK's, those numbers would mean the virus is proportionately more widespread in Ireland than it is in the UK, albeit only slightly.

We'll see later what Cobra say. Maybe we'll also close schools. But it's not a simple decision. I'm no expert but just what I've gleaned from the news in recent weeks is there are very few children among the confirmed cases suggesting they either don't get this bug, or remain symptomless. Either way, it's possible they aren't even capable of spreading it. Even if they are, if you close schools, where do these kids go? To the park and shops and other places where they can mingle with other demographics, including the elderly, who'd normally have the streets to themselves in those hours. So you're increasing their exposure. And parents are having to stay off work to look after these kids, which includes healthcare workers and people who work in the production and distribution of food, medicine etc, meaning all those things are impaired. So it's very easy for Varadkar and others to close schools and make it look like they're doing something to combat this virus but it remains totally unclear whether it actually makes the situation any better. 

Holders

Rumoured that Leicester FC have players with symptoms being tested. Details awaited.

Dr Quinzel

Quote from: Holders on March 12, 2020, 02:35:58 PM
Rumoured that Leicester FC have players with symptoms being tested. Details awaited.

No rumour. The manager confirmed it.

I was informed by someone in the sports TV industry that 3 Arsenal players had symptoms - that was Tuesday. Today the rumour has spread, but hasn't been confirmed, unless I've missed it.

Holders

Quote from: Dr Quinzel on March 12, 2020, 02:38:38 PM
Quote from: Holders on March 12, 2020, 02:35:58 PM

No rumour. The manager confirmed it.

I was informed by someone in the sports TV industry that 3 Arsenal players had symptoms - that was Tuesday. Today the rumour has spread, but hasn't been confirmed, unless I've missed it.

Thanks for the clarification, the outcome of the tests will surely be decisive. Behind closed doors will not be of much use to clubs whose squads are seriously depleted. Unprecedented times.

Someone commented on Varadkar above - I note that he has a medical degree which gives him some advantage in his decision-making.