https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Coronavirus Thread / New / Old / Merged

Started by I Ronic, March 01, 2020, 11:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Know

Quote from: toshes mate on March 20, 2020, 10:30:30 AM
It was actually identified and confirmed as COVID-19 on 7/1/2020 by China
First case reported 17th November 2019 !

Logicalman

Quote from: Dr Know on March 20, 2020, 03:01:46 PM

Where was that? Source please (genuine interest)
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

GloucesterWhite

Farting is now more socially acceptable than coughing or sneezing!

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Logicalman on March 20, 2020, 03:38:41 PM

From the WHO website:

• A pneumonia of unknown cause detected in Wuhan, China was first reported to the WHO Country Office in China on 31 December 2019.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/events-as-they-happen
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Ged

Quote from: Southcoastffc on March 20, 2020, 03:57:47 PM
Quote from: Logicalman on March 20, 2020, 03:38:41 PM

From the WHO website:

• A pneumonia of unknown cause detected in Wuhan, China was first reported to the WHO Country Office in China on 31 December 2019.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/events-as-they-happen
From Wiki
17 November 2019
A confirmed case of the novel coronavirus emerged on 17 November 2019, according to 13 March 2020 reports of official Chinese government sources,[8] but was not recognized at that time. There may have been earlier patients; the search for them continues.[9][10][11]

1 December
The first known patient started experiencing symptoms on 1 December 2019. He had not been to the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market of Wuhan. No epidemiological link could be found between this case and later cases.[12][13][14]

8–18 December
Between 8 and 18 December 2019, seven cases later diagnosed with novel coronavirus were documented; two of them were linked with the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market; five were not.[15]

12 December
Chinese state broadcaster CCTV reported in a broadcast airing on 12 January 2020 that a "new viral outbreak was first detected in the city of Wuhan, China, on 12 December 2019."[16]

21 December
Chinese epidemiologists with the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CCDC) published an article on 20 January 2020 stating that the first cluster of patients with "pneumonia of an unknown cause" had been identified on 21 December 2019.[17]

24 December
First publicly reported collection of virus sample from patient for genetic sequencing.[18][19][20]

25 December
Report of medical staffs in two hospitals in Wuhan suspected to be infected and were being isolated around 25 December.

davew

So finally Johnson is starting to take the obvious measures to reduce the spread, but probably far too late! Anybody know how many cases including mortalities in Italy before they went into lockdown?
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Milo

I think he made it clear that lockdown too early and you risk people getting fatigue and breaking the rules after a few weeks. Have to push the button at the right time. Sounds sensible to me.

Logicalman

Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

davew

Quote from: Milo on March 20, 2020, 06:48:44 PM
I think he made it clear that lockdown too early and you risk people getting fatigue and breaking the rules after a few weeks. Have to push the button at the right time. Sounds sensible to me.
Of course it does and to me also, but I am not sure that changing things every few days has a significant effect? Obviously supermarkets and other food shops and pharmacies need to remain open, not trying to be argumentative, but now most children are at home they can go shopping with their parent(s), so more people in the shops during the week than before, increases the risk doesn´t it? By the way I don´t know the answer either! Annoyed me today that I could only buy 3 bottles of wine from Tesco, people must have had some prewarning that pubs were going to shut, not sure if you are allowed 3 items of each wine or 3 bottles in total. I only bought 2 litre bottles of gin though!

Milo

Dave you bring up an important point. 3 bottles of wine is not enough for a Friday night and Boris should be doing more to solve these problems. Jokanovic would find a solution!

SP

My wife works at a bakery/cafe & the nonsense they're putting up with is ridiculous.  The scary thing is that it's only just started.

davew

Quote from: Milo on March 20, 2020, 07:53:24 PM
Dave you bring up an important point. 3 bottles of wine is not enough for a Friday night and Boris should be doing more to solve these problems. Jokanovic would find a solution!
LOL, first time I have smiled for a few days!! Thanks, by the way just to correct 3 bottles is not enough for any night!

Woolly Mammoth

My wife is a Pharmacist Technician at our local hospital, and I have been fairly laid back about it, but she is on the front line and has convinced me this is no picnic, believe me everyone must take it seriously. Seven people have already died in her hospital in the last week due to this virus, so we all must be vigilant, and this is just the beginning.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Ged

An email to staff seen by the Health Service Journal said: "I am writing to let you know that we have this evening declared a 'critical incident' in relation to our critical care capacity at Northwick Park Hospital. This is due to an increasing number of patients with Covid-19.
"This means that we currently do not have enough space for patients requiring critical care.
"As part of our system resilience plans, we have contacted our partners in the North West London sector this evening to assist with the safe transfer of patients off of the Northwick Park site."

A senior director at another London acute trust told HSJ: "Given we're in the low foothills of this virus, this is f***ing petrifying."

Northwick Park Hospital, run by the London North West University Hospital NHS Trust, has so far reported six deaths on site.

davew

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on March 20, 2020, 09:25:20 PM
My wife is a Pharmacist Technician at our local hospital, and I have been fairly laid back about it, but she is on the front line and has convinced me this is no picnic, believe me everyone must take it seriously. Seven people have already died in her hospital in the last week due to this virus, so we all must be vigilant, and this is just the beginning.
Presumably Woolly you live in the London area? It is just the beginning and my prediction is that we will have results as bad if not worse than Italy, they reacted quickly and it has got out of hand, we didn´t turn up until the second half (sounds like FFC) so logically we will not see better results, very sad!!

toshes mate

The WHO timeline I mentioned was the real time log (what was known at the time by WHO) and confirmed by a number of medical sources.  The WHO revised timeline is what has been learned since and may still be incomplete (which is why I mentioned the whole period from September through December).   

Southcoastffc

I have wondered why Italy is such a 'hotspot' and was interested to read this.  https://uncoverdc.com/2020/03/20/why-italy/
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

I Ronic

Quote from: Southcoastffc on March 21, 2020, 09:44:46 AM
I have wondered why Italy is such a 'hotspot' and was interested to read this.  https://uncoverdc.com/2020/03/20/why-italy/

The Italians are big travellers around Christmas and New Year. We have friends there that used to come over every Christmas with a large group of their friends. The Chinese have also discovered travel in a big way too and I guess Venice being a favourite stop over for Cruise Liners would of been busy over Christmas and New Year.
Tax collection and the revolving doors in Italian politics has made it weak financially for years and people will exploit that. The article blaming it on the Chinese and accepting little responsibility for their own shortcomings is at best nieve.
Hopefully when this passes Governments, Industry and people on the street will make sure trade deals include things like countries having robust health service provision. Industries make sure their supply chains treat their workforces correctly and we take responsibility for our own health. More exercise, eating the right foods etc

Holders

Following retraining of sniffer dogs, the largest ever cargo of contraband toilet rolls has been seized off Dover by customs officials.

Those responsible attempted to conceal themselves under sacks of cocaine but have since been arrested.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Neil D

Quote from: Southcoastffc on March 21, 2020, 09:44:46 AM
Hmmm.  An alternative explanation is that Italy and Japan have the highest proportions of over 65s in the world.  That Italian culture involves more physical contact on greeting than northern European ones, for example, and that the physical  space between Italians socially tends be shorter.  That the weather tends to be better and encourages more outside interaction. 24/100 of Europe's most polluted cities are in Northern Italy.  If none of this convinces, you can default to Trump mode and just blame the Chinese like the article in the link.