News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Seri or Anguissa: Who would you rather have in the Prem?

Started by AnOldBrownie, August 08, 2020, 05:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Between the two players, which would you rather have on our squad this season?

Andre Frank Zambo Anguissa
102 (72.9%)
Jean Michael Seri
2 (1.4%)
Both
13 (9.3%)
Neither
23 (16.4%)

Total Members Voted: 140

wheelerdeeler

As other people have said, if you want to get rid of players who didn't perform two seasons ago we won't have anyone left going into next season. I'm not that interested in keeping Seri, and I'd be reasonably confident in saying Parker isn't either given he barely played him.

Zambo on the other hand played almost every minute as soon as Parker got the job, and if we acknowledge that he isn't a 6 and he's either an 8 in a 4-3-3 with Reed sitting or part of a double pivot with Reed in a 4-2-3-1 with either Cairney or Onomah as the other midfielder it's got a good balance to it. Especially with Onomah in my opinion. Reed, Zambo, Onomah gives us a good balance, a good energy and Zambo and Onomah can both carry the ball forward from the midfield.

And while I obviously don't know him, based on Zambo's Instagram post when he joined Villarreal on loan where he thanked Parker for believing in him I'd like to think he'd be happy to play under him.

The Rock

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on August 11, 2020, 11:03:47 AM
Anguissa but I'd like both. Both unfairly maligned given most players had a poor season last year. Would improve our squad.

Selling both for 30-40m and buying defenders improves the squad. Zambo instead of Reed and Seri instead of Onomah for ex. is a gamble I wouldn't want to take.

The Rock

Quote from: wheelerdeeler on August 12, 2020, 04:11:20 PM
As other people have said, if you want to get rid of players who didn't perform two seasons ago we won't have anyone left going into next season. I'm not that interested in keeping Seri, and I'd be reasonably confident in saying Parker isn't either given he barely played him.

Zambo on the other hand played almost every minute as soon as Parker got the job, and if we acknowledge that he isn't a 6 and he's either an 8 in a 4-3-3 with Reed sitting or part of a double pivot with Reed in a 4-2-3-1 with either Cairney or Onomah as the other midfielder it's got a good balance to it. Especially with Onomah in my opinion. Reed, Zambo, Onomah gives us a good balance, a good energy and Zambo and Onomah can both carry the ball forward from the midfield.

And while I obviously don't know him, based on Zambo's Instagram post when he joined Villarreal on loan where he thanked Parker for believing in him I'd like to think he'd be happy to play under him.

Reasonable post. If I had to take one and not the other it would def be Zambo.

Tabby

Quote from: The Rock on August 12, 2020, 05:07:03 PM
Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on August 11, 2020, 11:03:47 AM
Anguissa but I'd like both. Both unfairly maligned given most players had a poor season last year. Would improve our squad.

Selling both for 30-40m and buying defenders improves the squad. Zambo instead of Reed and Seri instead of Onomah for ex. is a gamble I wouldn't want to take.

If you can find teams willing to pay that for them you could put them in contact with Fulham I guess. You can't just simply trade them in for money at a pawn shop.

General

Perhaps, we just need to give them more belief that they're at the right club and part of something exciting and worth fighting for...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKaPbAj8H6c

Riverside

I voted for Anguissa as Scott rates him
and I like the idea of him and Reed as a DM pairing

I believe we have to play 2 DMs and one AM to survive

Seri looked a world beater against Burnley early in the season but then faded
He would need to compete and better Cairney , Cordova-Reid and Onamah as the one AM

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Riverside on August 12, 2020, 05:54:06 PM
I voted for Anguissa as Scott rates him
and I like the idea of him and Reed as a DM pairing

I believe we have to play 2 DMs and one AM to survive

Seri looked a world beater against Burnley early in the season but then faded
He would need to compete and better Cairney , Cordova-Reid and Onamah as the one AM

At Galatasray, Seri spent the first half of last season at CM with Ryan Babel on the wing, the results weren't great. They got rid of Babel and moved Seri back to DM, then Seri played well and did statistically about as well as Reed for the season (although nowhere near as good as Reed's amazing post lockdown stats). Seri can play #6, #8 and #10 well for 30-60 minutes per game, so is an ideal bench player, something we really need.

I think we should start the season with Reed at #6, Anguissa at #8, and Cairney at #10 with midfield backup of S.Sess #6, KMac #6, Seri (#6, #8, #10), Stefjo (#6, #8, #10), Onamah (#8, #10) and Reid (#8, #10), then after four games (i.e. international deadline day) send one of them on loan overseas or after six games (i.e domestic deadline day) send one of them on loan to the Championship. I think Seri will do better starting from the bench and earning his spot when someone else fails.

AnOldBrownie

I have two saved Galatasaray games from late in the season where Seri played DM.   Nothing that I saw tells me Seri is reactive enough in front of our back line to warrent getting any play time ahead of even  Stefjo, who isn't even a DM.

imo  Onomah is a lock to be our starting #10.   Cairney...our starting #8 and Reed as our starting #6.

Anguissa (who I think is better than Tom Cairney) will be on the bench until he proves he's better than Tom as the #8, but I'd definitely bring Anguissa in to play a slash #8/#6 beside Tom before I'd bring Seri onto the pitch.

I see Seri as a 3rd string #8, which to me means, if he's on the pitch we're in trouble stopping the opposing team.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on August 13, 2020, 03:08:08 AM
I have two saved Galatasaray games from late in the season where Seri played DM.   Nothing that I saw tells me Seri is reactive enough in front of our back line to warrent getting any play time ahead of even  Stefjo, who isn't even a DM. imo  Onomah is a lock to be our starting #10.   Cairney...our starting #8 and Reed as our starting #6.

Anguissa (who I think is better than Tom Cairney) will be on the bench until he proves he's better than Tom as the #8, but I'd definitely bring Anguissa in to play a slash #8/#6 beside Tom before I'd bring Seri onto the pitch. I see Seri as a 3rd string #8, which to me means, if he's on the pitch we're in trouble stopping the opposing team.

Seri is looking at being our 5th best central midfielder; behind Reed, Anguissa, Cairney and Onamah; just ahead of S.Sess, KMac, Stefjo and Reid. He may prove better than some midfielders in the best four now and some of those outside the top five may prove (or improve) to be better than him.

All the teams in the bottom eight of the premier league struggle to get one point per game when they have two of their best four midfielders injured. With Seri playing we might not get one point per game, but he can help us pick up some points until the best midfielders come back as proven by victories in the premier league with him in the starting XI against Burnley, Huddersfield, Southampton, Brighton, and Bournemouth.

I think that midfield is pretty solid for preseason, although I admit it might need an upgrade if the preseason is poor, early season is poor or we get some injuries. But other areas need to be addressed first, namely every defensive position and backup center forward.

AnOldBrownie

If Gala doesn't buy Seri, I see him going back out on loan.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on August 13, 2020, 03:49:40 AM
If Gala doesn't buy Seri, I see him going back out on loan.

Why loan out Seri, he only earns wages of £3m per season (i.e. 1/50th of next year's spending) that's relatively cheap?
In the PL games that Seri started, we got 0.75 points per game, and next season as a squad player he probably starts 9 games where we get 7 points (ie. acceptable).

We could sell him, loan him or keep him.
If we sell him @MV, then FFC lose around £6m for the season, Seri gets a pay rise and the current squad will stay on the same wages so get jealous (i.e. a morale destroyer).
If we loan him out, then FFC gets £4m to spend on a midfielder, which is only enough to get someone that has failed in the PL (i.e. another Seri from another team).
If we keep him, he will start on the bench, provide some cover for injuries, and could get fit to fight his way into the team (i.e. least worst option).

My personal opinion is the only reason fans want Seri sold is so TK has to acknowledge that be made a serious mistake, not to improve the team.
TK made a mistake buying Seri, but TK acknowledging it doesn't help us one bit, and under FFP rules selling Seri really hurts team morale and finances.

Statto

Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 13, 2020, 05:09:36 AM
If we sell him @MV, then FFC lose around £6m for the season, Seri gets a pay rise and the current squad will stay on the same wages so get jealous (i.e. a morale destroyer).

If his market value has dropped from £24m to £6m as you suggest, I doubt he'll be getting a big rise on the wages we're paying him if/when he leaves.

I'm also not sure our players would get particularly unsettled by someone getting a pay rise at another club, anyway.

And finally, I don't see us coming anywhere near being restricted by FFP in relation to transfer spending this season. But IIRC the limit on our wage bill is potentially restrictive.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on August 13, 2020, 07:58:52 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 13, 2020, 05:09:36 AM

If his market value has dropped from £24m to £6m as you suggest, I doubt he'll be getting a big rise on the wages we're paying him if/when he leaves. I'm also not sure our players would get particularly unsettled by someone getting a pay rise at another club, anyway.

And finally, I don't see us coming anywhere near being restricted by FFP in relation to transfer spending this season. But IIRC the limit on our wage bill is potentially restrictive.

Many clubs would be willing to give Seri £90k per week, they just wouldn't be prepared to pay Fulham more than £1m transfer fee on those wages.

If we want Seri to leave and 100% decided on it, then he would be wise not to leave unless he gets a pay rise or goes to the club of his choice. Alternatively, if we are prepared to stick him on the bench for most of next season, Seri may consider moving with a pay cut to say £40k per week that would get us a large transfer fee say £11m (valuing him similarly to Bobby Reid).

The question is: Do you want Fulham to have the best squad possible next season? If we sell Seri for a low price, under FFP we cannot replace him this season.

It seems to me to be a lot like someone divorcing their wife because they are now poorer than when they were single and want to go back to being rich again. It's probably not going to give you the expected result and as divorcing will probably going to make you much poorer than you were when married no matter how much your wife spends. If you want to sell Seri so bad and don't care that we probably cannot replace him fine, but if injuries hit he's nice to have around.

I thought the limit of wages was scrapped and only FFP matters now, but I could be wrong. FFP is designed by the big clubs to ensure we sell them our best players and keep our worst players. The systems is well designed that reward clubs that do that like Brentford and punishes clubs that do the opposite like Sunderland. FFP is very well planned so that every bad player you sell you have to balance it by selling a good player.

Seri is worth £60k per week of wages compared to a) Knockaert that costs £105k after wages and amortization and b) Bobby Reid that costs £82k after wages and amortization. Seri may not be as good as Knockaert or Reid, but keeping is cheaper than replacing him with some like Bobby Reid. Seri hasn't robbed us, we paid Seri a fair wage and paid Nice much too much, that's not his fault.

We need to stop blaming TK and Seri, we just need The Khans to keep spending until there is enough talent in the squad. As DOF, Tony Khan may a little more help from his father than some others, but TK is good enough with maximum FFP Spend to make us a premier league team eventually, but it may take one more relegation and promotion.

My guess is TK is going to decide if he should sell Seri, knowing if he does he will have less money for other players this season. If Fulham fans just want to fight about every pound wasted then we probably better accepting that the only way we won't waste money is not to spend it. The Khans know they will get a lot more praise by keeping the 2018 squad than investing in new players, because the media don't like them investing and when they invest more than the big clubs want them to, the media will get FFC fans to hound them that they wasted it.

Bournemouth spends £94m in 2018/19 and Fulham spends £120m in 2018/19 probably getting significantly more additional talent than them. Yet Fulham are the ones that get hounded for wasting money, and that's because the ex-player plus big clubs don't like nonfootballers being DOFs and spending more money than they would like upset the delicate EPL balance that keeps ex-player and big clubs on top.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on August 13, 2020, 09:19:16 AM
Selling Seri for a few million less than his book value and incurring a small loss on that isn't going to bother us at all.

Why sell? What's the point of selling Seri for a small cost, when you can keep him for the same cost.

If Seri costs the same to sell and to keep, then I'd prefer to keep him in case of injuries to say Stefjo.

Statto

If the wages restrictions no longer apply then I think FFP is frankly an irrelevance this season. Our revenue will be what, £110-120m perhaps, plus permitted losses still at £35m, and a wage bill of about £80m? So £65-75m of headroom on those numbers.

Statto

Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 13, 2020, 09:23:07 AM
Selling Seri for a few million less than his book value and incurring a small loss on that isn't going to bother us at all.

Why sell? What's the point of selling Seri for a small cost, when you can keep him for the same cost.

If Seri costs the same to sell and to keep, then I'd prefer to keep him in case of injuries to say Stefjo.

On what maths does it cost the same to keep him?
Say for sake of argument he's got a current book value of £12m amortising at £6m per year (£24m fee, 4 year contract) and wages of £4m per year (£80k per week).

And say we sold him now at the ridiculously low price of £3m (realistically we could surely get more)...

Sell him now for £3m = £9m loss on book value

Keep him = £4m wages + £6m in further amortisation = £10m loss

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on August 13, 2020, 09:30:25 AM

Say for sake of argument he's got a current book value of £12m amortising at £6m per year (£24m fee, 4 year contract) and wages of £4m per year (£80k per week).
And say for the sake of argument we sold him now at the ridiculously low price of £3m (realistically we could surely get more)...

Keep him = £4m wages + £6m in further amortisation = £10m

His wages are reported as £3m per year or £60k per week.

Sell him costs us £9m loss on book value
Keep him costs us £3m in wages and £6m in further amortization = £9m

If we keep Seri we could sell him for £8m next year, a £2m profit. Surely Better.

fulhamben

Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 13, 2020, 09:40:10 AM

And say for the sake of argument we sold him now at the ridiculously low price of £3m (realistically we could surely get more)...

We may make a small gain, but you cannot get anyone better for even £1-2m.
im getting involved again. We paid nearer 10 million for seri not 24.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Statto

Quote from: fulhamben on August 13, 2020, 09:44:13 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 13, 2020, 09:40:10 AM

We may make a small gain, but you cannot get anyone better for even £1-2m.
You're entitled to believe that if you want
Some people believe you get covid from 5G
I'm not getting involved in another debate on either

The Rational Fan

Quote from: fulhamben on August 13, 2020, 09:44:13 AM

If we paid £10m for Seri, then his book value is £5m and can sell him for a profit.
If we can sell Seri for a small profit fine, but still he might be useful in the squad.

Do you really want Tony Khan to sell a bunch of players and buying several more?
I think we are wiser buying players now, and selling Seri after he's sick of the bench.

Having depth in midfield will make our team strong, if Seri's only our 6th best midfield great