News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Seri or Anguissa: Who would you rather have in the Prem?

Started by AnOldBrownie, August 08, 2020, 05:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Between the two players, which would you rather have on our squad this season?

Andre Frank Zambo Anguissa
102 (72.9%)
Jean Michael Seri
2 (1.4%)
Both
13 (9.3%)
Neither
23 (16.4%)

Total Members Voted: 140

bill taylors apprentice

No to Seri as I believe he is not going to up his game enough for the PL and if he starts on the bench he will get the hump rather than fight for a place.

I am not convinced Zambo can make the best of his undoubted attributes on a regular basis and the PL will find him out when he switches off defensively.

Having said that, I hope I'm wrong because his ability to retain possession is excellent and if he can use his size and athleticism to press and fill the channels when defending he will be a  good asset. 

fulhamben

Quote from: Statto on August 13, 2020, 09:46:51 AM
Quote from: fulhamben on August 13, 2020, 09:44:13 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 13, 2020, 09:40:10 AM
Quote from: Statto on August 13, 2020, 09:30:25 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 13, 2020, 09:23:07 AM
Quote from: Statto on August 13, 2020, 09:19:16 AM
Selling Seri for a few million less than his book value and incurring a small loss on that isn't going to bother us at all.

Why sell? What's the point of selling Seri for a small cost, when you can keep him for the same cost.

If Seri costs the same to sell and to keep, then I'd prefer to keep him in case of injuries to say Stefjo.

On what maths does it cost the same to keep him?
Say for sake of argument he's got a current book value of £12m amortising at £6m per year (£24m fee, 4 year contract) and wages of £4m per year (£80k per week).
And say for the sake of argument we sold him now at the ridiculously low price of £3m (realistically we could surely get more)...

Sell him now for £3m = £9m loss on book value

Keep him = £4m wages + £6m in further amortisation = £10m

His wages are reported as £3m per year or £60k per week.

Sell him costs us £9m loss on book value
Keep him costs us £3m in wages and £6m in further amortization = £9m

We may make a small gain, but you cannot get anyone better for even £1-2m.
im getting involved again. We paid nearer 10 million for seri not 24.
You're entitled to believe that if you want
Some people believe you get covid from 5G
I'm not getting involved in another debate on either
you still believing transfermarket over seris previus club who would have got a big payout if seri went for the money you proclaim. And you are still believing transfermarket over seri himself who only got a signing on bonus of a player that was sold for 10 million. I'm starting to think you have shares in transfermarket 🤔
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Statto

Quote from: fulhamben on August 13, 2020, 09:50:31 AM
Selling Seri for a few million less than his book value and incurring a small loss on that isn't going to bother us at all.

Why sell? What's the point of selling Seri for a small cost, when you can keep him for the same cost.

If Seri costs the same to sell and to keep, then I'd prefer to keep him in case of injuries to say Stefjo.

Say for sake of argument he's got a current book value of £12m amortising at £6m per year (£24m fee, 4 year contract) and wages of £4m per year (£80k per week).
And say for the sake of argument we sold him now at the ridiculously low price of £3m (realistically we could surely get more)...

you still believing transfermarket over seris previus club who would have got a big payout if seri went for the money you proclaim. And you are still believing transfermarket over seri himself who only got a signing on bonus of a player that was sold for 10 million. I'm starting to think you have shares in transfermarket 🤔
I believe we paid in the region of £30m for Seri and MLM, together.
I also accept it sounds like Nice then tried to claim half of that related to MLM, to reduce the payment they had to make to Seri.
Whether we were involved in that and whether it affects our book value of the player, I've no idea. I think it quite possible we just agreed to pay for £30m for both players and whatever Nice did was nothing to do with us.
And even if we were involved, given this has gone to court, if Seri's lawyer is to be believed, then it will be corrected in due course to show that most of the fee related to Seri, not MLM.
So I really don't see the relevance

fulhamben

Quote from: Statto on August 13, 2020, 09:57:36 AM
Quote from: fulhamben on August 13, 2020, 09:50:31 AM

I believe we paid in the region of £30m for Seri and MLM, together.
I also accept it sounds like Nice then tried to claim half of that related to MLM, to reduce the payment they had to make to Seri.
Whether we were involved in that and whether it affects our book value of the player, I've no idea. I think it quite possible we just agreed to pay for £30m for both players and whatever Nice did was nothing to do with us.
And even if we were involved, given this has gone to court, if Seri's lawyer is to be believed, then it will be corrected in due course to show that most of the fee related to Seri, not MLM.
So I really don't see the relevance
the combined fee wasn't near 30 million. And even if it gets turned they will price him at 12 to 15 million max.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Statto

If we keep Seri we could sell him for £8m next year, a £2m profit. Surely Better.

Ok so to do the maths again making the same assumptions we did before

Sell him now for £8m = £4m loss on book value

Sell him next year for £8m = £2m profit on book value, less £6m charge in amortisation and £3m (according to you) in wages = net loss £7m

Rather just sell him now

Southcoastffc

FWIW (no pun intended) Fulhamben is almost right re transfer fee and TRF is almost right re wages.  £11m and £66k respectively.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Statto

Quote from: Southcoastffc on August 13, 2020, 10:13:39 AM
FWIW (no pun intended) Fulhamben is almost right re transfer fee and TRF is almost right re wages.  £11m and £66k respectively.

What, the fee Nice initially allocated to Seri was £11m, or the fee allocated to Seri after the court case will be £11m?

And either way, does your inside source know how/whether this affects our own valuation of Seri in our accounts? (Which I assume isn't necessarily determined by how Nice allocate the combined fee at their end)

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on August 13, 2020, 10:06:13 AM

If we keep Seri we could sell him for £8m next year, a £2m profit. Surely Better.

Sell him next year for £8m = £2m profit on book value, less £6m charge in amortisation and £3m (according to you) in wages = net loss £7m

Rather just sell him now

Why sell a bench player like Seri?

The financial argument doesn't make sense. 

Statto

Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 13, 2020, 10:19:16 AM

Rather just sell him now

To make an extra £3m, which is almost enough to cover Harrison Reed (£8m on a 4 yr deal = £2m per year, plus say another £2m wages)

The Rational Fan

Harrison Reed is probably going earn a lot more than Seri, on top of that you will have to pay for Reed's transfer fee.

Besides we don't need to sell anyone to buy Reed. The Club has more than enough money for Harrison Reed.

You could save an extra £3m by selling Seri, but you could save an extra £3m by selling KMac or an extra £4m by selling Stefjo.

Seri is possibly similar standard to KMac and Stefjo, but one thing is for certain Seri is cheaper to keep than KMac or Stefjo.

Statto

Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 13, 2020, 12:23:53 PM
Harrison Reed is probably going earn a lot more than Seri

No chance
We broke the bank for Seri
I don't know if it's £66k or £80k we're paying him per week (more likely to be nearer £80k IMO) but whatever it is he'll be one of our top few earners with Mitrovic and Anguissa (which Reed won't)

I agree we don't "need" to sell Seri. I never said we did. Just making the point that we can easily afford to sell him, write-off the loss and bring in a better player if we want to. And in fact we're probably not any worse off financially for selling him anyway.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 13, 2020, 10:19:16 AM

Rather just sell him now

The financial argument doesn't make sense. 

Because he will wear the bench out, which will cost money to replace it. does that financial explanation make sense.   
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on August 13, 2020, 03:20:42 PM

No chance. We broke the bank for Seri
I don't know if it's £66k or £80k we're paying him per week (more likely to be nearer £80k IMO) but whatever it is he'll be one of our top few earners with Mitrovic and Anguissa (which Reed won't)

I agree we don't "need" to sell Seri. I never said we did. Just making the point that we can easily afford to sell him, write-off the loss and bring in a better player if we want to. And in fact we're probably not any worse off financially for selling him anyway.

Fulham didn't break the bank for Seri's wages, ten players at Crystal Palace earn more than Jean Michel Seri including Cheikhou Kouyaté. If Crystal Palace want Harrison Reed, they have to offer him a better package than anyone at Fulham gets and they might do that. Getting Reed might not be easy if we haven't agreed on terms yet, because his price is high right now and paying a lot is a risk as he is still unproven in the PL.

Before we get rid of Seri and replace him by buying another bench midfielder, we need to see Harrison Reed and Josh Onamah in the premier league because we need to find out if they are truly premier league starters or also premier league bench players. If Reed or Onamah are bench player, we need to bring in another experienced starter, but if Reed and Onamah are truly premier league quality than we should bring in some younger (early 20s) midfielders for the long-term.

All Tony Khan's focus should be getting a center-back better than Hector, two full-backs better than Bryan, a holding midfielder better than Anguissa (so he can move to the #8 role) and another center-forward better than Kamara or Reid, plus a fair bit of under 21 youth.

If we get all those five players, then we will have 26 overaged players in the squad, and assuming they are all 100% fit the one player that has a poor preseason would have to go loan for the season.

As for whether we can afford to writeoff Seri that really depends on how well the existing squad goes in the premier league, I would like to have the maximum amount of FFP money available in case we need to spend big in the winter transfer window to stay up.

Although, if things go well we are mid-table and we don't need to spend in the winter, I am pretty sure Tony Khan will be writing off as many players as possible (such as Seri, MLM, Mawson and Knockaert etc) to near-zero book value, so that in the summer he can get a much younger bench.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 14, 2020, 02:00:37 AM

Fulham didn't break the bank for Seri's wages, ten players at Crystal Palace earn more than Jean Michel Seri including Cheikhou Kouyaté. If Crystal Palace want Harrison Reed, they have to offer him a better package than anyone at Fulham gets and they might do that. Getting Reed might not be easy if we haven't agreed on terms yet, because his price is high right now and paying a lot is a risk as he is still unproven in the PL.

Before we get rid of Seri and replace him by buying another bench midfielder, we need to see Harrison Reed and Josh Onamah in the premier league because we need to find out if they are truly premier league starters or also premier league bench players. If Reed or Onamah are bench player, we need to bring in another experienced starter, but if Reed and Onamah are truly premier league quality than we should bring in some younger (early 20s) midfielders for the long-term.

All Tony Khan's focus should be getting a center-back better than Hector, two full-backs better than Bryan, a holding midfielder better than Anguissa (so he can move to the #8 role) and another center-forward better than Kamara or Reid, plus a fair bit of under 21 youth.

If we get all those five players, then we will have 26 overaged players in the squad, and assuming they are all 100% fit the one player that has a poor preseason would have to go loan for the season.

As for whether we can afford to writeoff Seri that really depends on how well the existing squad goes in the premier league, I would like to have the maximum amount of FFP money available in case we need to spend big in the winter transfer window to stay up.

Although, if things go well we are mid-table and we don't need to spend in the winter, I am pretty sure Tony Khan will be writing off as many players as possible (such as Seri, MLM, Mawson and Knockaert etc) to near-zero book value, so that in the summer he can get a much younger bench.

I know it doesn't take much to confuse me,
but I am confused.
You are saying on the one hand Fulham can get a much younger bench, but your also saying that we need players who have proved they are Premier League starters. 

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 14, 2020, 04:47:26 AM

but I am confused.
You are saying on the one hand Fulham can get a much younger bench, but your also saying that we need players who have proved they are Premier League starters.

I am suggesting we give Reed and Onamah a chance to start in the premier league before brining in another midfielder to replace Seri as a bench player. If they  (Reed and Onamah) succeed, we should replace Seri maybe in a year with a younger midfielder that learns as a squad player to improve overtime and develops into a premier league player. If they (Reed and Onamah) fail, we need to bring in the best-experienced premier league midfielder we can find to achieve immediate results to save us from relegation and then work out who stays as bench players based on performance.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 14, 2020, 05:17:47 AM

but I am confused.

I am suggesting we give Reed and Onamah a chance to start in the premier league before brining in another midfielder to replace Seri as a bench player. If they  (Reed and Onamah) succeed, we should replace Seri maybe in a year with a younger midfielder that learns as a squad player to improve overtime and develops into a premier league player. If they (Reed and Onamah) fail, we need to bring in the best-experienced premier league midfielder we can find to achieve immediate results to save us from relegation and then work out who stays as bench players based on performance.

I feel you may need a bigger bench than first anticipated, but I cannot see Seri making it.

Never forget your Roots.

Twig

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 14, 2020, 02:05:00 PM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 14, 2020, 05:17:47 AM

but I am confused.

I feel you may need a bigger bench than first anticipated, but I cannot see Seri making it.

He might make a bench, if his woodwork skills are good enough. He certainly doesn't merit sitting on the bench.

AnOldBrownie

Injuries happen.

I'm of the opinion that if any of our starting midfielders get hurt...miss a few games....or 10 games... I don't want Seri as an option to get those starts.  At all.    I'd much rather have Arter (who I don't EPL rate) or even ...god forbid...KMac.    Hell, I'd sign banged up Chambers and hope we don't need within our first 10 games.

Seri does not get in my starting 5 midfielders.

Onomah
Reed
Cairney
Zambo
BDR
(anyone but Seri)

But that's just me.

Question.   Whose our U18 holding midfielder?   Put him on our bench.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on August 14, 2020, 08:56:51 PM
Injuries happen.

I'm of the opinion that if any of our starting midfielders get hurt...miss a few games....or 10 games... I don't want Seri as an option to get those starts.  At all.    I'd much rather have Arter (who I don't EPL rate) or even ...god forbid...KMac.    Hell, I'd sign banged up Chambers and hope we don't need within our first 10 games.

Onomah
Reed
Cairney
Zambo
BDR
(anyone but Seri)

But that's just me.

I'm sorry but Seri is better than BDR, no way he isn't and in my opinion he's as good as Cairney. I know I'm in the minority though.

Twig

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on August 14, 2020, 09:59:25 PM
Quote from: AnOldBrownie on August 14, 2020, 08:56:51 PM
Injuries happen.

Onomah
Reed
Cairney
Zambo
BDR
(anyone but Seri)

But that's just me.

I'm sorry but Seri is better than BDR, no way he isn't and in my opinion he's as good as Cairney. I know I'm in the minority though.

Well he wasn't better for us and he has just finished another poor season so again hasn't shown this alleged ability.