https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Which CB 'WILL' we sign?

Started by 3-lions, August 26, 2020, 07:59:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lordedmundo

Quote from: Jonnoj on August 27, 2020, 03:49:19 PM
Quote from: Riversider on August 26, 2020, 11:29:03 PM
Malang Sarr from Chelsea on a season long loan, we were interested in him before he chose Chelsea, with them wanting to put him out on loan surely we will show an interest,
The downside of course is that we have our defence weakened every time we play Chelsea.
This makes a lot of sense, decent player and left footed. So many suggestions above eg Smalling are for players who play on the right, we badly need a first choice left sided Cb to partner Hector. (And in my view a decent back up to Hector too).

Yes - agreed. The press seem to have picked up on this as well.  In fact Chelsea may even offer him to us - as they certainly won't see Fulham as a rival club next season. Then I think we just need one more centre half as back up with Ream (assuming Mawson is off)

ByTheRiver

Quote from: Classic94 on August 27, 2020, 03:57:47 PM
Would happily take Sarr, Tomori or Christensen off them.

Agreed. Or Zouma. In fact, going a step further, any two from those four would be just splendid!

Lordedmundo

Quote from: Lordedmundo on August 27, 2020, 04:00:18 PM
Malang Sarr from Chelsea on a season long loan, we were interested in him before he chose Chelsea, with them wanting to put him out on loan surely we will show an interest,
The downside of course is that we have our defence weakened every time we play Chelsea.
This makes a lot of sense, decent player and left footed. So many suggestions above eg Smalling are for players who play on the right, we badly need a first choice left sided Cb to partner Hector. (And in my view a decent back up to Hector too).

Yes - agreed. The press seem to have picked up on this as well.  In fact Chelsea may even offer him to us - as they certainly won't see Fulham as a rival club next season. Then I think we just need one more centre half as back up with Ream (assuming Mawson is off)

Although I am now remembering Tony Khan's rather stupid comment - which you could say rules out any loan of younger players (!):

"Ryan already played for us in the Premier League and he didn't do enough to keep us in there. I can't be in the business of developing other people's players. I expect the squad to look very similar to the one that got promoted. We won't spend £100million again."

:doh:

AnOldBrownie

I don't want us to loan from an EPL team in a position of importance.    We loan a CB, that's two games against Chelsea that player won't play.

Roma is reportedly trying to get Smalling for £18 million.    Who doesn't feel Chris Smalling is worth £25 million?   
If Roma get Chris Smalling for £18 million I'm going to be upset with TK.   Kongolo...still hurt.   Chambers...still hurt.

Manchester United need funds to get Sancho.   Fulham need a good EPL level CB.    Hmmm...

But my ideal signing would be Ben Godfrey.

OldBrownShoe

Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on August 27, 2020, 05:34:05 PM
I don't want us to loan from an EPL team in a position of importance.    We loan a CB, that's two games against Chelsea that player won't play.

Roma is reportedly trying to get Smalling for £18 million.    Who doesn't feel Chris Smalling is worth £25 million?   
If Roma get Chris Smalling for £18 million I'm going to be upset with TK.   Kongolo...still hurt.   Chambers...still hurt.

Manchester United need funds to get Sancho.   Fulham need a good EPL level CB.    Hmmm...

If he doesn't want to play for us there's very little TK can do.

The Rational Fan

Ben Godfrey would be wise to play for Norwich one more season as a top championship defender before making his move to the premier league again, he should get a lot of clean sheets in 46 game season to raise his value.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 28, 2020, 02:48:35 AM
Ben Godfrey would be wise to play for Norwich one more season as a top championship defender before making his move to the premier league again, he should get a lot of clean sheets in 46 game season to raise his value.

Or...he can get a good contract now and not wait.   What if he gets an Alfie Mawson level injury in championship?

Ben Godfrey would be wise to play in a better league and improve his skill level that way (while earning a higher salary).

As covid has reminded us.   There are no guaranteed tomorrows.    Stay at Norwich?   No sir.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on August 28, 2020, 03:34:11 AM

Or...he can get a good contract now and not wait.   What if he gets an Alfie Mawson level injury in championship?

Ben Godfrey would be wise to play in a better league and improve his skill level that way (while earning a higher salary).

As covid has reminded us.   There are no guaranteed tomorrows.    Stay at Norwich?   No sir.

If money and not getting injured is most important, then signing up as Chelsea's fifth CB is a great option.

RaySmith

Quote from: OldBrownShoe on August 27, 2020, 06:03:59 PM
Derek Lampe!

Remember big Derek well, though I don't suppose there are many on here now that still do.

Though some will have seen him as our regular cb, though from when i began watching Fulham in the early 60's, he was mostly a reserve, to the likes of Bobby Keetch, Bill lDodgin and Eddie Lowe.

Derek really  looked like a cb, though, and i well remember a big , glossy photo of him in a Fulham shirt, staring from the pages of my album - with his, personally gained, autograph scribbled across it.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 28, 2020, 03:43:54 AM
Quote from: AnOldBrownie on August 28, 2020, 03:34:11 AM

If money and not getting injured is most important, then signing up as Chelsea's fifth CB is a great option.

Well, if Chelsea were willing to pay him 25 million then he should absolutely do it.

Fortunately for him, there are other top league squads that will probably pay him good money to be a starter for them.   

alfie

Why are you going to be upset withTK if Smalling doesn't want to come here.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

The Rational Fan

Quote from: alfie on August 28, 2020, 07:32:19 AM

Almost everyone was upset with TK for not signing the right players last time, even though all the players most people wanted probably didn't want to come anyway, it will be no different this time. Players join Fulham because they cannot join Crystal Palace, players that cannot join Crystal Palace aren't the players we want. Catch-22

Sting of the North

Quote from: Lordedmundo on August 27, 2020, 05:17:25 PM

Although I am now remembering Tony Khan's rather stupid comment - which you could say rules out any loan of younger players (!):

"Ryan already played for us in the Premier League and he didn't do enough to keep us in there. I can't be in the business of developing other people's players. I expect the squad to look very similar to the one that got promoted. We won't spend £100million again."

Again, he does not say that we will not loan young players. That is a too narrow interpretation of what he said (notwithstanding that he said it in the context of Ryan specifically). If he thinks a player can make an important contribution to our first team this year he would of course not care if that player is 16 years old or 25 years old. However, what he might care about is whether or not it is possible to include an option to buy clause, which of course indirectly may rule out a lot of the younger players.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: RaySmith on August 28, 2020, 03:59:50 AM
Quote from: OldBrownShoe on August 27, 2020, 06:03:59 PM
Derek Lampe!

Remember big Derek well, though I don't suppose there are many on here now that still do.

Though some will have seen him as our regular cb, though from when i began watching Fulham in the early 60's, he was mostly a reserve, to the likes of Bobby Keetch, Bill lDodgin and Eddie Lowe.

Derek really  looked like a cb, though, and i well remember a big , glossy photo of him in a Fulham shirt, staring from the pages of my album - with his, personally gained, autograph scribbled across it.

Derek Lampe, I can picture him now, reliable orthodox centre back, not the quickest but as you say mainly a reserve behind the others you mentioned.
Bobby Killer Keetch was a legend and still is before his premature passing away.
I always remember he stated that " the days of the footballing centre half are over, modern soccer demands a stopper, a player who destroys attacks and clears quickly ", and he was that player. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Moltobueno

Mason Holgate anyone?

He must be behind Mina and Keane in pecking order

Jim©

Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 28, 2020, 08:13:19 AM
Quote from: alfie on August 28, 2020, 07:32:19 AM

Almost everyone was upset with TK for not signing the right players last time, even though all the players most people wanted probably didn't want to come anyway, it will be no different this time. Players join Fulham because they cannot join Crystal Palace, players that cannot join Crystal Palace aren't the players we want. Catch-22

Last time we came up? I don't remember that. I remember most fans over the moon as we'd got players in all the positions that we'd wanted- LB Bryan, RB Fosu Mensah, CB Mawson/MLM/Chambers (cover for RB too), MF Seri/Anguissa GK Rico/Fabri, CF Mitro signed permanently etc. It was what transpired afterwards with the squad that was through poor management, not recruitment in my mind.

Statto

Quote from: Sting of the North on August 28, 2020, 08:26:57 AM
Quote from: Lordedmundo on August 27, 2020, 05:17:25 PM

Again, he does not say that we will not loan young players. That is a too narrow interpretation of what he said (notwithstanding that he said it in the context of Ryan specifically). If he thinks a player can make an important contribution to our first team this year he would of course not care if that player is 16 years old or 25 years old. However, what he might care about is whether or not it is possible to include an option to buy clause, which of course indirectly may rule out a lot of the younger players.

Agreed

Although FWIW, logically that would probably rule out the majority of young players, because if they're good enough to make an important contribution to a PL first team at such a young age, they presumably have the potential to be top class players in the future, and as such are not players we can have any reasonable hope of signing permanently.

General

Any loans we get in will be with a view to signing permanently - TK said that.

itombomb

Quote from: General on August 28, 2020, 10:53:31 AM
Any loans we get in will be with a view to signing permanently - TK said that.
He's said, relating to Sess, we're not going to develop other people's players for them, that and your point are slightly different. In particular I think we were burned by Fosu-Mensah - someone who seemed to me clearly couldn't be arsed.

If you've got someone offered to you with the right quality and attitude and they could help you stay up then you'd be mad not to take them.