more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Vaccine

Started by Dodgin, December 14, 2020, 10:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rebel

Quote from: filham on December 16, 2020, 03:54:33 PM
So, tell me how are we notified that a jab is ready for us, email, letter or phone call and by whom.

It depends what details your GP holds, might be all three.

rebel

Quote from: Twig on December 16, 2020, 01:40:22 PM
Quote from: rebel on December 15, 2020, 11:48:40 AM
Quote from: alfie on December 15, 2020, 11:42:13 AM
Quote from: rebel on December 15, 2020, 09:30:19 AM
Quote from: HV71 on December 14, 2020, 12:36:23 PM
Quote from: Holders on December 14, 2020, 11:16:31 AM
Quote from: Twig on December 14, 2020, 11:14:30 AM
My wife and I are in category 5 and can't wait to get it. It's not just important for our protection, we both also see it as a social responsibility.

THIS.

So right~ it is the responsible thing to do. I am certainly no fan of this government - but they have thrown money at the problem and as citizens we should play our part in trying to keep this virus at bay.

The Government could of saved the 'manic state of affairs' had it simply told people in mid to late January to wear masks and social distance, thousands of lives would have been saved (even if the virus hadn't appeared in the UK). Prevention is always much better then cure.     
That's true, but people have been told to wear masks and social distance and choose to ignore it.
Only 2/3 weeks ago a few thousand people arrived in London for an anti-mask demonstration, why in gods name would people do that, if someone is not going to wear a mask that's their choice, but why have demonstration.

It's all to do with mixed messages, you've got the Health Secretary, talking about preventative measures i.e. wearing masks, etc. then in the same interview, talking vaccines, vaccines, 'the end is near' etc. All the 'gobbledygook' about this Tier, that Tier etc, is confusing for people. 

I don't think that several thousand idiots coming to demonstrate in London has anything to do with mixed messaging. These people are just bone heads.

That said I agree that the government's messaging and some of the pre entative measures have been confusing and have at times appeared contradictory.

Mix messages give opportunity for malcontents to behave against norms.

MikeTheCubed

Quote from: Twig on December 16, 2020, 01:36:38 PM
My wife and I are in category 5 and can't wait to get it. It's not just important for our protection, we both also see it as a social responsibility.

THIS.

So right~ it is the responsible thing to do. I am certainly no fan of this government - but they have thrown money at the problem and as citizens we should play our part in trying to keep this virus at bay.

The Government could of saved the 'manic state of affairs' had it simply told people in mid to late January to wear masks and social distance, thousands of lives would have been saved (even if the virus hadn't appeared in the UK). Prevention is always much better then cure.     

It's not like me to defend this government but to be fair the WHO advice did not favour masks back in January.

To be fair to the WHO in mid-January they supposedly did not believe the virus could spread from human to human:

TC's Sporran

eggbloodyzactly

for once we must not look at things personally/selfishly  and what we think is best for us

we are part of a society and we must do what is best for society and ignore our own needs

think about the vulnerable and do your bit

Peabody

Just had my firstb one at Nonsuch Manor, return for my second on 6th Jan. Haven't grown any green hair yet.

mrmicawbers

Quote from: Peabody on December 16, 2020, 06:44:44 PM
Just had my firstb one at Nonsuch Manor, return for my second on 6th Jan. Haven't grown any green hair yet.
Good for you my Mum is 88 and she can't wait to have it so she can live the rest of her life with some normality.

mrmicawbers

Quick question to anybody say over 70 who doesn't want to have the Vaccine.Are you going to take a risk and go out when the restrictions diminish or wait until enough people have taken the Vaccine before going out?Or something else?

Twig

Quote from: Peabody on December 16, 2020, 06:44:44 PM

Never mind green, how about black and white?

Logicalman

Quote from: mrmicawbers on December 16, 2020, 07:05:04 PM
Quick question to anybody say over 70 who doesn't want to have the Vaccine.Are you going to take a risk and go out when the restrictions diminish or wait until enough people have taken the Vaccine before going out?Or something else?

Would that matter though?

If you get the vaccine, does it inhibit you from spreading the virus, even if you are immune to it?

What I mean is: Doesn't the vaccine simply protect YOU should the virus get into your system, or does it kill it immediately, considering one can be infectious prior to symptoms appearing?
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Steeeeeeeeeed

One of my flat mates had the first jab yesterday, she's only a young lady around 30 I think, but she works in n old people's care home.

Until a few weeks ago she was pretty into her conspiracy theory thing, and swore she would not take it, but good to know that when she was offered it she did take it, and she seems fine and is happy she did.

Poor lass is from Spain and hasn't been able to go home all year (she normally does a few times), so fair play to her and the thousands like her who came to the UK looking for a better life and got stuck in these circumstances.

Berserker

I had Covid19 at the end October, good ness know how I caught it as I work from home, don't car share, don't mix in people houses, wear face mask, hand sanitiser and social distance. I think I got a mild dose as wasn't too bad with it. But catching it considering all of the above brought it home how infectious it is.

I presume I'm pretty much down the queue to get a vaccine jab but I definitely have one if offered

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Tempest

Not sure those who don't want it, me for example, will ultimately have a choice, I work in close contact services so will probably have to have it to continue to trade, my partner is Hungarian so if we want to drive to Hungary to see her family we'll probably have to have to have it to travel.

It's interesting to me, someone who spends a lot of time with NHS nurses, how many are dismissive of the virus and equally the need to have a rushed vaccine.

Something is off with the vaccine, if it takes 10 years plus to test a vaccine either this one is extremely under tested and therefore not to be trusted or pharma companies have taken extortionate research and development fees for decades and producing a vaccine this quickly was always possible.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Live in Falmouth!

Statto

Quote from: Tempest on December 17, 2020, 08:40:37 AM
Not sure those who don't want it, me for example, will ultimately have a choice, I work in close contact services so will probably have to have it to continue to trade, my partner is Hungarian so if we want to drive to Hungary to see her family we'll probably have to have to have it to travel.

It's interesting to me, someone who spends a lot of time with NHS nurses, how many are dismissive of the virus and equally the need to have a rushed vaccine.

Something is off with the vaccine, if it takes 10 years plus to test a vaccine either this one is extremely under tested and therefore not to be trusted or pharma companies have taken extortionate research and development fees for decades and producing a vaccine this quickly was always possible.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

I don't see how any restrictions can be applied to people who haven't had the vaccine, when it isn't 100% effective. Lots of people will have had the vaccine but not be immune, and lots of people who have not had the vaccine will be immune by virtue of having previously caught the virus. So it doesn't make much sense.

But as to the speed with which it's been produced, surely it's common sense that almost everything in life can be sped up when more resource is thrown at it. No doubt the Riverside stand could be built in a tenth of the time of you had an army of tens of thousand working on it.

toshes mate

It is worth repeating that the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine does nothing to protect other people from infection by you if you catch Covid-19 and are asymptomatic by virtue of the vaccine.  Crazy but true.

rebel

Quote from: MikeTheCubed on December 16, 2020, 04:52:40 PM
Quote from: Twig on December 16, 2020, 01:36:38 PM

THIS.

It's not like me to defend this government but to be fair the WHO advice did not favour masks back in January.

To be fair to the WHO in mid-January they supposedly did not believe the virus could spread from human to human:

The WHO are sending a team of investigators to China to investigate the origin of the virus. This should of been mid December last year.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/16/who-research-team-expected-to-travel-to-wuhan-to-investigate-coronavirus-origin

mrmicawbers

Quote from: Logicalman on December 16, 2020, 08:28:31 PM
Quote from: mrmicawbers on December 16, 2020, 07:05:04 PM

Would that matter though?

If you get the vaccine, does it inhibit you from spreading the virus, even if you are immune to it?

What I mean is: Doesn't the vaccine simply protect YOU should the virus get into your system, or does it kill it immediately, considering one can be infectious prior to symptoms appearing?

I thought it was a pretty simple Question to the over70's on this board who decide not to take the vaccine when offered.There were some but can't find the original thread.

toshes mate

Quote from: rebel on December 17, 2020, 09:39:32 AM
The WHO are sending a team of investigators to China to investigate the origin of the virus. This should of been mid December last year.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/16/who-research-team-expected-to-travel-to-wuhan-to-investigate-coronavirus-origin
It looks and sounds like hindsight is a wonderful thing but had it been done what do you think may have changed from what has happened?  There are some earlier references of possible events of Covid-19, in North Carolina and France for example, but much testing is not very accurate even now with all we have found out about the efficacy of PCR and lateral flow test and the knowledge they all need clinical investigation alongside the test in order to make informed judgements.   The outbreak happened when it did and the WHO behaved as it has been politically designed to behave.

blingo

The WHO have a mountain of things to answer for. This could all have been nipped in the bud if the WHO and Chinese had locked down Wuhan, not let anyone in or out and stopped all international travel.
There is no way I am going to take any injection whilst there is no proof on long term effects.
Lets be realistic, 99.7% of people survive this without any further problems.
If you have already had it, what the hell do you need immunising against.
There are more questions than answers in all of this.
If you isolate the elderly and the vulnerable you eradicate 99% of the problem, which is what should have been done from day one.
Masks....They have done bugger all in Spain to stop the spread. To be effective at all, people have to use them properly. The majority of people in Spain (me included) wear one so as not to get a 600 euro fine, so the same mask is used for days if not weeks.
Herd immunity is the ONLY solution here. What is covid 19 today will mutate tomorrow, how many jabs are we going to need?????

Blingo wont be taking any jab without a track record. How can this new form of innoculation be 90 or 95% effective when EVERY OTHER type of flu jab has never been more than 60% max effective but normally 40-50%? Im nowhere near convinced about any of this, and if i cant fly quantas well they can stick their airline where the sun dont shine. By the way 55% of people in spain are saying they wont be taking the Jab.

rebel

Quote from: toshes mate on December 17, 2020, 10:02:01 AM
Quote from: rebel on December 17, 2020, 09:39:32 AM

It looks and sounds like hindsight is a wonderful thing but had it been done what do you think may have changed from what has happened?  There are some earlier references of possible events of Covid-19, in North Carolina and France for example, but much testing is not very accurate even now with all we have found out about the efficacy of PCR and lateral flow test and the knowledge they all need clinical investigation alongside the test in order to make informed judgements.   The outbreak happened when it did and the WHO behaved as it has been politically designed to behave.

Thousands of lives would have been saved worldwide, that is the whole point of the WHO existing. If they issued a global warning and advised on everybody wearing masks and some social distancing, then many, many lives would have been saved. As for North Carolina and France, I think we've been there before. China has been busy blaming other countries.     

rebel

Quote from: blingo on December 17, 2020, 10:06:19 AM
The WHO have a mountain of things to answer for. This could all have been nipped in the bud if the WHO and Chinese had locked down Wuhan, not let anyone in or out and stopped all international travel.
There is no way I am going to take any injection whilst there is no proof on long term effects.
Lets be realistic, 99.7% of people survive this without any further problems.
If you have already had it, what the hell do you need immunising against.
There are more questions than answers in all of this.
If you isolate the elderly and the vulnerable you eradicate 99% of the problem, which is what should have been done from day one.
Masks....They have done bugger all in Spain to stop the spread. To be effective at all, people have to use them properly. The majority of people in Spain (me included) wear one so as not to get a 600 euro fine, so the same mask is used for days if not weeks.
Herd immunity is the ONLY solution here. What is covid 19 today will mutate tomorrow, how many jabs are we going to need?????

Blingo wont be taking any jab without a track record. How can this new form of innoculation be 90 or 95% effective when EVERY OTHER type of flu jab has never been more than 60% max effective but normally 40-50%? Im nowhere near convinced about any of this, and if i cant fly quantas well they can stick their airline where the sun dont shine. By the way 55% of people in spain are saying they wont be taking the Jab.

Exactly, the WHO carry's a lot of responsibility for the way this unfolded, China was stonewalling the WHO, the WHO could of sought help from all sorts of other agency's.