The Official Silly Season January Transfer Thread 2020/21

Started by Friendsoffulham, December 20, 2020, 03:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on January 15, 2021, 01:59:29 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 14, 2021, 11:26:34 PM
The media reports are that Tosin's transfer fee is very low around £1.5m

Here are media reports that it was £8m

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/12850666/fulham-adarabioyo-transfer-man-city/
https://www.90min.com/posts/fulham-sign-tosin-adarabioyo-man-city-permanent-deal
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8805723/Fulham-pushing-sign-Chelsea-midfielder-Ruben-Loftus-Cheek-loan.html

Ultimately we'll never know and people can believe what they want. What's irrefutable is that he'd just had a good season with Blackburn, performing around the same standard (statistically) as Hector was performing for us, back at the time we were all raving about Hector being an excellent Championship defender and able to make the step up to the PL. So clearly his market value was much higher than £1.5m, much more like £8m, and I find it hard to believe Man City would have accepted such a low bid as £1.5m, even if he did only have one year on his contract. It's not like a Fredericks situation where they wouldn't have been able to match whatever wages we were offering him and persuade him to renew.

Nothing is clear about Tosin transfer value, unless you also know Tosin's current wages. Mesut Özil is worth less in a transfer fee than Hector, because Ozil's wages are so high and Hector's are low.

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 15, 2021, 04:13:49 AM
Quote from: Statto on January 15, 2021, 01:59:29 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 14, 2021, 11:26:34 PM
The media reports are that Tosin's transfer fee is very low around £1.5m

Here are media reports that it was £8m

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/12850666/fulham-adarabioyo-transfer-man-city/
https://www.90min.com/posts/fulham-sign-tosin-adarabioyo-man-city-permanent-deal
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8805723/Fulham-pushing-sign-Chelsea-midfielder-Ruben-Loftus-Cheek-loan.html

Ultimately we'll never know and people can believe what they want. What's irrefutable is that he'd just had a good season with Blackburn, performing around the same standard (statistically) as Hector was performing for us, back at the time we were all raving about Hector being an excellent Championship defender and able to make the step up to the PL. So clearly his market value was much higher than £1.5m, much more like £8m, and I find it hard to believe Man City would have accepted such a low bid as £1.5m, even if he did only have one year on his contract. It's not like a Fredericks situation where they wouldn't have been able to match whatever wages we were offering him and persuade him to renew.

Nothing is clear about Tosin transfer value, unless you also know Tosin's current wages. Mesut Özil is worth less in a transfer fee than Hector, because Ozil's wages are so high and Hector's are low.

I don't know where they got that from, in the Manchester papers it was 2m plus 20% sell on. It was all over the Man City messageboards too about why are they selling him & why so cheap?

The Rational Fan

The most important signing is getting Ademola Lookman signed until 2024, with agreement to spend at least one season in the Championship if required. He'll boost our promotion chances enormously, and help avoid relegation.

Statto

It's not beyond the realm of possibility that Tosin cost £2m up front plus £2m after 20, 40 and 60 appearances and a 20% sell-on clause, or something like that, and all the papers are just reporting the same thing differently.

I also agree with the post above that it's a moot point. Whether it was £2m or £8m, it was still a bargain, but doesn't change the original point made that a reliable, PL quality player like we need this month is much more likely to cost £20m+ (like Anderson and Lookman will) than whatever Tosin cost. So we may need to do something creative to get around that, but it's not obvious how/what we can do.

colinwhite

Unless we are prepared to pay 20 mill plus its going to be difficult to upgrade on what  we already have.

FFC1987

Quote from: Statto on January 15, 2021, 09:56:04 AM
It's not beyond the realm of possibility that Tosin cost £2m up front plus £2m after 20, 40 and 60 appearances and a 20% sell-on clause, or something like that, and all the papers are just reporting the same thing differently.

I also agree with the post above that it's a moot point. Whether it was £2m or £8m, it was still a bargain, but doesn't change the original point made that a reliable, PL quality player like we need this month is much more likely to cost £20m+ (like Anderson and Lookman will) than whatever Tosin cost. So we may need to do something creative to get around that, but it's not obvious how/what we can do.

That's kinda the point isn't it. I'd be happy with how he's performed if they said he was a £12m investment. As mentioned his short length of contract is probably why fee was low but I do agree, that usually means he gets a nice sign on fee and higher wages.

I still think we can find some added quality to this squad without necessarily needing to break the bank but again, we'll see.

DevonFFC

Quote from: colinwhite on January 15, 2021, 10:04:05 AM
Unless we are prepared to pay 20 mill plus its going to be difficult to upgrade on what  we already have.

The market is going to be slow and teams are not going to want to let go of players unless it is of a particular benefit.

We need to be looking to clubs who are in financial difficulties or the scouts earn their crust and find who has low buy out clauses.

Maidstone Lee

Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

We Are Premier League

MLM to little Brentford on loan? Jansson is out for the season.

Craven Mad

Quote from: We Are Premier League on January 15, 2021, 03:21:14 PM
MLM to little Brentford on loan? Jansson is out for the season.

This would be good for everyone. MLM has definitely grown on me, but he's nowhere near the squad right now.

Maybe they'll throw us Toney in return! Ha

Jeroen

So West Brom is after the Galatasaray striker who seems highly rated. (Admitingly I don't know anything about him)
Should we use Seri as a negotiation tool: either seri in exchange deal or offer seri on a cheap loan but the condition that they don't sell their striker to West Brom (is this even allowed)

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: DevonFFC on January 15, 2021, 06:51:08 PM
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11698/12188721/mbaye-diagne-west-brom-looking-into-loan-deal-for-galatasaray-striker

LOL...how are West Brom going to convince Mbaye to come to their side???   I'm sure his agent would say NO.   He would say NO.    That leaves Galatasary to want to give up their starting striker midway through the season and rely on who?

Once again...I highly doubt this.

Now, West Brom trying to get Ryan Babel I can see, but we have way more to offer Galatasary than bloody West Brom.

Denzil Dexter

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on January 15, 2021, 07:19:29 PM
Quote from: DevonFFC on January 15, 2021, 06:51:08 PM
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11698/12188721/mbaye-diagne-west-brom-looking-into-loan-deal-for-galatasaray-striker

LOL...how are West Brom going to convince Mbaye to come to their side???   I'm sure his agent would say NO.   He would say NO.    That leaves Galatasary to want to give up their starting striker midway through the season and rely on who?

Once again...I highly doubt this.

Now, West Brom trying to get Ryan Babel I can see, but we have way more to offer Galatasary than bloody West Brom.
Babel seems to have a lot of love for FFC. I'm sure if Scott wants him he'll come. We'll be getting a last minute loan or 2 the way things are looking in the market.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

General

I know this is a very divisive call and perhaps not possible due to wages and people saying he'd be disruptive but Diego Costa is available on a free and has clauses in his severance contract that he can't play for a competitor of athletico or for a champions league team. Must be worth a half season approach. He'd be prolific for the half season, we'd put him in the shop window and guarantee survival and buy a new striker in the summer.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: General on January 16, 2021, 12:18:35 AM
I know this is a very divisive call and perhaps not possible due to wages and people saying he'd be disruptive but Diego Costa is available on a free and has clauses in his severance contract that he can't play for a competitor of athletico or for a champions league team. Must be worth a half season approach. He'd be prolific for the half season, we'd put him in the shop window and guarantee survival and buy a new striker in the summer.

I know he plays on the edge and may be a slight risk, but in the absence of anyone else better I would not be against it as we certainly need reinforcements up front if we are to improve goals scored substantially enough to win games.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Denzil Dexter

Quote from: General on January 16, 2021, 12:18:35 AM
Why not. We're a big physical team now according to the pundits. He'd fit in nicely [emoji1360][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Somerset Fulham

So not the pacey striker that everybody has been wanging on about then...

love4ffc

Maked me wonder what other London player might be looking to move to Fenerbahce?  Possible Fulhamplayers?  Kmac, Stef Jo, Seri or even Ak?
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

JimOG

Quote from: love4ffc on January 16, 2021, 02:31:31 AM

Maked me wonder what other London player might be looking to move to Fenerbahce?  Possible Fulhamplayers?  Kmac, Stef Jo, Seri or even Ak?

Ozil we presume