watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why Keep Scott Parker

Started by Keefy, April 11, 2021, 04:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toshes mate

There is so much inconsistency in this thread it is like reading the thoughts of Chairmans Khan & Khan! 

One little example for the TK and Yo-Yo Fans ... if that was his policy all along then why sack anyone who was capable of gaining promoting one season and relegation the very next.   Results in the PL wouldn't matter at all but building a team capable of storming the Championship would.  Seems TK is capable of neither so why is he in post.  Just a bit of very simple logic for you guys. 

There are players in the English football league who would play in either or both the PL and Championship and capable of meeting the needs of both.  Seeking them out is the job of recruiters, scouts, networks simply by studying form and asking questions that are within the rules of the game and they help clubs build resilient squads that can deal wih success and failure.  Khan & Khan don't know how to do that - period.

ALG01

Quote from: Plodder on April 15, 2021, 12:28:30 AM
There's a little bit of the starry-eyed about Jokanovic, with quotes such as " those two years were filled with entertaining and attacking football".  Not for the first part of his tenure, when we finished 20th in the season he took over half way through, and then struggled in the first half of each of the following seasons.  I remember a huge amount of moaning during the poor runs of results about how bad we were, especially as an attacking force. People think solely about the superb second half of the promotion campaign, aided considerably by the arrival of a fit and motivated Mitrovic.  Jokanovic had good and bad times with us.

I agree, you are so right.
His first season he arrived late but just in time to avoid relegation. The second we got to the play offs with a half baked squad and the third we gained promotion with a 23 game unbeaten run despite only having one forward for half a season.

He was then sabotaged with a ridiculously unbalanced sqaud that none of three managers coped with.

I would say slav was a genius. If he would have been 'properly' baked we would be in season 3 looking forward to season four in the prem.

3 Cherries

I think Slav had much better dress sense than Scotty

He oozed natural flair which reflected in our play (when we played well)

Scotty, for all my admiration of his emotional and visceral utterances, still recall that jacket he borrowed from the boiler lagging and after we won, he wore the same jacket again and we lost!

Slav would not be pinning his tactics on what luck a particular jacket might bring

toshes mate

There's a little bit of the starry-eyed about Jokanovic, with quotes such as " those two years were filled with entertaining and attacking football".  Not for the first part of his tenure, when we finished 20th in the season he took over half way through, and then struggled in the first half of each of the following seasons.  I remember a huge amount of moaning during the poor runs of results about how bad we were, especially as an attacking force. People think solely about the superb second half of the promotion campaign, aided considerably by the arrival of a fit and motivated Mitrovic.  Jokanovic had good and bad times with us.
The starry eyed recall is about the best.  Jokanovic's second half season performances were largely necessary because he was dealing with changes - big changes and mainly losses of key players.  As examples in both his first full season and his second full season he had no recognisable strikers until Martin arrived on deadline day first time and Mitrovic in January second time.  In the second season he had no left back options because Malone was sold and not replaced.  There are other examples where Khan Jnr failed his main man consistently.  Jokanovic wasn't the Messiah but he is as close as FFC under Khan Jnr are going to get to one.   IMO. 

Penfold

Quote from: toshes mate on April 15, 2021, 09:11:49 AM
The starry eyed recall is about the best.  Jokanovic's second half season performances were largely necessary because he was dealing with changes - big changes and mainly losses of key players.  As examples in both his first full season and his second full season he had no recognisable strikers until Martin arrived on deadline day first time and Mitrovic in January second time.  In the second season he had no left back options because Malone was sold and not replaced.  There are other examples where Khan Jnr failed his main man consistently.  Jokanovic wasn't the Messiah but he is as close as FFC under Khan Jnr are going to get to one.   IMO. 

Agree with a lot of this. We had a poor first half of the 2017/18 season where Malone was sold and the replacement was supposed to be Rafa Soares. Rui Fonte was recruited as the main striker as well. Apparently, CK reckoned the team should be built around Johan Mollo (I wonder what he's doing these days?).

Effectively, Jokanovic was operating with one hand tied behind his back due to the crazed assistant DOF running amok. Fortunately, Shad Khan got hands on and dismissed CK.

Two good signings in January (Targett and Mitrovic) helped give the side a much better balance.

General

Parker has shown his limitations from the moment he became our manager to having a team full of stars in the championship who simply underperformed massively. Our time to catch Newcastle was when they had their strikers out injured who have just come back in the last game or two.

Parker may come good further down the line but given the resources he has had even this season, a more experienced manager would've seen us stay up. Of that I have no doubt.

Howe would be an interesting one - so would benitez. Just goes to show how poor Parker is when you compare him with allardyce at West brom and what he's managed to do with a weaker set of players. If I had been in TKs position I'd have got rid of Parker in January and brought in allardyce then. Players like andersen, RLC would've been a dream for allardyce. They may not have enjoyed the football but staying up is more important after just being promoted. Whole thing is a monumental shambles given how obvious the solutions have been from the get go. TK learns lessons soo slowly. Had he paid anywhere near enough attention and had an informed opinion before taking on the DOF role which he hardly does properly it'd have taken 5 years maximum to go down the first time, rejig things and reestablish ourselves as a solid premiership side. It's closing in on ten instead. If I was shahid I'd be embarrassed- it's bordering on ineptitude of the highest order. We are constantly undermining ourselves under his ownership and TKs involvement. Get a good back line, don't have a good forward line or coach, get a good coach and don't give him a good back line but give him a good front line. How about soend money wisely across the entire structure of the first team and build a balanced squad.

Plodder

Quote from: ALG01 on April 15, 2021, 08:23:40 AM

I agree, you are so right.
His first season he arrived late but just in time to avoid relegation. The second we got to the play offs with a half baked squad and the third we gained promotion with a 23 game unbeaten run despite only having one forward for half a season.

He was then sabotaged with a ridiculously unbalanced sqaud that none of three managers coped with.

I would say slav was a genius. If he would have been 'properly' baked we would be in season 3 looking forward to season four in the prem.

<<His first season he arrived late but just in time to avoid relegation>>.  We were 18th when he took over with about half the season remaining. We finished 20th.  The first half of the following season was undistinguished, to put it kindly.

He has rightly received praise for the superb second half of the promotion winning season, but his time here was not a permanent case of unalloyed or unparalleled success.   One good half season, and one superb half season rightly deserves the praise he has been given - but "genius" is over the top.  We have had plenty of better and more successful managers  such as Tigana, Coleman, Hodgson, Macdonald and others (in my opinion, of course).

Logicalman

Quote from: blingo on April 14, 2021, 09:13:57 PM
Quote from: Logicalman on April 14, 2021, 08:57:38 PM
Quote from: blingo on April 14, 2021, 03:35:49 PM
Quote from: Mullers OG on April 14, 2021, 11:52:57 AM
Best manager in my opinion we've had since RH. Given what he had to start with it's to his credit he managed to get promotion. Then he tightened up the defence and midfield. Up front much was always going to depend on Mitrovic. Whether he has been off form, injured and unfit or suffering from COVID is unknown. Apart from him there wasn't much else. Cavaleiro has had to play out of position, Kamara has thankfully been offloaded and Maja loaned. My one real regret this season is not being able to see Areola, Anderson and others at the Cottage.

Next season we have the nucleus of a decent side. Our main danger will be bigger clubs such as Spurs sniffing around trying to tempt Parker away. Too many clubs change managers too often. We need a bit of continuity. 

I don't see your reasoning at all, however, i'd like two of whatever it is you are drinking. We were LUCKY to get promoted. A new manager would have kept us up if we had brought him in mid season. Parker ball is simply not acceptable at this level, we have no midfield threat at all. THAT is down to parker and his hopeless tactical play.

Sorry Blingo, I respect your opinions but on this I think you are mistaken mate, though you are right, you need to stop drinking whatever you are as it's affecting your ability mate. As for lucky to get promoted - as 'lucky' as we were under Slav you mean? Getting promoted via playoffs tends to reduce the luck variable to a minimum, it's not like it's a one-game lucky win is it?

Some people hanker for us to bring Slav back, but the records of Slav and Scotty, where results matter (e.g. getting promoted and staying there) are little different. I don't look upon SP as anything like the finished article as Prem coaches go, I had more faith in Slav to that point, but neither do I see any point in getting rid at this juncture. Then again, I didn't fully understand why SK jumped early in showing Slav the door tbh, so what do I know?

Ahhhh, Mr Logical, a 12 year old Macallan would not do you any harm lol. Personally I don't think we should bring back Slav, and I fail to see where SP is doing us any favours. He is using us to learn his trade before he jumps ship to another club.
We were very lucky to get promoted sir, 4th in the table and how we got there on some of that seasons performances I will never know. We got through in extra time and tbh and as much as I hate to say it, Brentford deserved it more than we did. Will we come straight back up? I don't think it will be anywhere near as easy as some seem to think on here. I'll keep the Macallan on hold for you, and as you say, in all honesty, what do I know? It's all guess work and assumption from where we sit

Ahh, Macallan, my buds are suitable whetted there, my good sir. Might have to break open that Walker Double Black I have snuggled in the pantry hiding behind the Gold Label reserve! Admittedly, not, perhaps, as refined as the Macallan.

We do agree on a couple of points, Slav is not for turning and SP is definitely using the club for a learning vehicle, though, being the soft touch I am, I tend to hope that he might just stay around a bit should he remain at Khans pleasure for more than another year - and actually learn at a steeper rate than he currently is.

You and I, as you said, like so many in this place, really have little idea as to what the near future holds for our club in management and whether TK might just decide his version of Greco-Roman is worth doing full time, though I believe the majority are resigned to our future being Fizzy league, notwithstanding Brucie could have a melt down and lose all his remaining games and SP might have a master plan tucked up that quilted jacket sleeve!
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

blingo

Quote from: Logicalman on April 16, 2021, 01:23:09 AM
Quote from: blingo on April 14, 2021, 09:13:57 PM
Quote from: Logicalman on April 14, 2021, 08:57:38 PM
Quote from: blingo on April 14, 2021, 03:35:49 PM
Quote from: Mullers OG on April 14, 2021, 11:52:57 AM
Best manager in my opinion we've had since RH. Given what he had to start with it's to his credit he managed to get promotion. Then he tightened up the defence and midfield. Up front much was always going to depend on Mitrovic. Whether he has been off form, injured and unfit or suffering from COVID is unknown. Apart from him there wasn't much else. Cavaleiro has had to play out of position, Kamara has thankfully been offloaded and Maja loaned. My one real regret this season is not being able to see Areola, Anderson and others at the Cottage.

Next season we have the nucleus of a decent side. Our main danger will be bigger clubs such as Spurs sniffing around trying to tempt Parker away. Too many clubs change managers too often. We need a bit of continuity. 

I don't see your reasoning at all, however, i'd like two of whatever it is you are drinking. We were LUCKY to get promoted. A new manager would have kept us up if we had brought him in mid season. Parker ball is simply not acceptable at this level, we have no midfield threat at all. THAT is down to parker and his hopeless tactical play.

Sorry Blingo, I respect your opinions but on this I think you are mistaken mate, though you are right, you need to stop drinking whatever you are as it's affecting your ability mate. As for lucky to get promoted - as 'lucky' as we were under Slav you mean? Getting promoted via playoffs tends to reduce the luck variable to a minimum, it's not like it's a one-game lucky win is it?

Some people hanker for us to bring Slav back, but the records of Slav and Scotty, where results matter (e.g. getting promoted and staying there) are little different. I don't look upon SP as anything like the finished article as Prem coaches go, I had more faith in Slav to that point, but neither do I see any point in getting rid at this juncture. Then again, I didn't fully understand why SK jumped early in showing Slav the door tbh, so what do I know?

Ahhhh, Mr Logical, a 12 year old Macallan would not do you any harm lol. Personally I don't think we should bring back Slav, and I fail to see where SP is doing us any favours. He is using us to learn his trade before he jumps ship to another club.
We were very lucky to get promoted sir, 4th in the table and how we got there on some of that seasons performances I will never know. We got through in extra time and tbh and as much as I hate to say it, Brentford deserved it more than we did. Will we come straight back up? I don't think it will be anywhere near as easy as some seem to think on here. I'll keep the Macallan on hold for you, and as you say, in all honesty, what do I know? It's all guess work and assumption from where we sit

Ahh, Macallan, my buds are suitable whetted there, my good sir. Might have to break open that Walker Double Black I have snuggled in the pantry hiding behind the Gold Label reserve! Admittedly, not, perhaps, as refined as the Macallan.

We do agree on a couple of points, Slav is not for turning and SP is definitely using the club for a learning vehicle, though, being the soft touch I am, I tend to hope that he might just stay around a bit should he remain at Khans pleasure for more than another year - and actually learn at a steeper rate than he currently is.

You and I, as you said, like so many in this place, really have little idea as to what the near future holds for our club in management and whether TK might just decide his version of Greco-Roman is worth doing full time, though I believe the majority are resigned to our future being Fizzy league, notwithstanding Brucie could have a melt down and lose all his remaining games and SP might have a master plan tucked up that quilted jacket sleeve!

Hahahahaha Mr Logical, and if my aunty had a pair of nuts she'd be my uncle. Nice dream but we're going to have to wake up sooner or later.

bobby01

Quote from: We Are Premier League on April 16, 2021, 10:18:04 AM
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/04/16/fulham-should-stick-scott-parker-whatever-fate-numbers-show/

fulham-should-stick-scott-parker-whatever-fate-numbers-show

Having just looked at the article. The point it misses is, if you do not play forwards you are unlikely to score goals. That is down to Parker.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

colinwhite

Quote from: bobby01 on April 16, 2021, 10:29:31 AM
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/04/16/fulham-should-stick-scott-parker-whatever-fate-numbers-show/

Having just looked at the article. The point it misses is, if you do not play forwards you are unlikely to score goals. That is down to Parker.

Which way do you want it? Mitro is immobile and slow ,so playing him made us a poorer pressing team ,but maybe he could score ( was very poor when he did get the chance ), but he didnt do  alot of that. Playing without Mitro let us play 5 at the back ,become better in press (and therefore more solid ) with the chance of quick counters. Most of the good period of the season we have had was without mitro and with a back 5. We beat Leicester ,Everton ,and Liverpool away playing that way.
Perhaps its you that missing the point because if we had had different types of forwards they would have of course played. If mitro had started in every game we would probably have a lot less points than we have now.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: General on April 15, 2021, 10:07:27 AM
Parker has shown his limitations from the moment he became our manager to having a team full of stars in the championship who simply underperformed massively. Our time to catch Newcastle was when they had their strikers out injured who have just come back in the last game or two.

Parker may come good further down the line but given the resources he has had even this season, a more experienced manager would've seen us stay up. Of that I have no doubt.

Howe would be an interesting one - so would benitez. Just goes to show how poor Parker is when you compare him with allardyce at West brom and what he's managed to do with a weaker set of players. If I had been in TKs position I'd have got rid of Parker in January and brought in allardyce then. Players like andersen, RLC would've been a dream for allardyce. They may not have enjoyed the football but staying up is more important after just being promoted. Whole thing is a monumental shambles given how obvious the solutions have been from the get go. TK learns lessons soo slowly. Had he paid anywhere near enough attention and had an informed opinion before taking on the DOF role which he hardly does properly it'd have taken 5 years maximum to go down the first time, rejig things and reestablish ourselves as a solid premiership side. It's closing in on ten instead. If I was shahid I'd be embarrassed- it's bordering on ineptitude of the highest order. We are constantly undermining ourselves under his ownership and TKs involvement. Get a good back line, don't have a good forward line or coach, get a good coach and don't give him a good back line but give him a good front line. How about soend money wisely across the entire structure of the first team and build a balanced squad.
Best post on this board for a long time.   :plus one:
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

bobby01

Quote from: colinwhite on April 16, 2021, 10:36:21 AM

Which way do you want it? Mitro is immobile and slow ,so playing him made us a poorer pressing team ,but maybe he could score ( was very poor when he did get the chance ), but he didnt do  alot of that. Playing without Mitro let us play 5 at the back ,become better in press (and therefore more solid ) with the chance of quick counters. Most of the good period of the season we have had was without mitro and with a back 5. We beat Leicester ,Everton ,and Liverpool away playing that way.
Perhaps its you that missing the point because if we had had different types of forwards they would have of course played. If mitro had started in every game we would probably have a lot less points than we have now.

I really admire your undying commitment to Parker Colin, and have learned long ago that it is pointless trying to change your set opinions. Whatever you say Mitro is a top international striker, but you need to play to his strengths, we have not played 5 at the back for a while,  we have consistently played with cav, who for all his faults and I think he also has good qualities many miss, but he is not a forward. But as I say I will never get you to see another side of things.
I have not been on Parker's back all season but do sincerely believe that we will go nowhere under his leadership, but as all things that is my opinion based on how I see things.
Good day sir.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

clarkey

I think we have given Parker a really good run. We fully realised he was inexperienced but frankly there comes a time when enough is enough, and that is clearly now.
He does not know how to change a match, his substitutions are always late, and his team selections are so odd at times as to be severely unbalanced. We have played horrible football now for two years, with a really negative passing style in the Championship followed by some terribly inept performances in the Prem with no goals for weeks. Attack wise he is so limited. I bet RLC and Cav are in the team on Sunday, which is disgraceful really.

If fans had been allowed in then the discontent would have surfaced loud and clear well before now. But there has to be a time limit on this series of bad judgements and mistakes.That time has come. The games against Leeds, Villa and Wolves were woeful.

MJG

Interested to know what people think is the number when inexperienced becomes experienced and when the former can no longer be used as an excuse?
Just the views of a long term fan

blingo

For me it was our first game in the championship when we lost to Barnsley Mr MGJ. And please don't start me on TK lol. I started a thread, SP TK back in September and I have not changed my mind.

RaySmith

Quote from: colinwhite on April 16, 2021, 10:36:21 AM

Agree Colin.

I think it showed courage and tactical nous and willingness to change, to drop Mitro, especially when we had no proper replacement  for  centre forward, but it wasn't working with the iconic big man, and Scott was proved right when we went on that run, that  brought us back in contention all looked lost  with  two thirds of the season  still to play.

Colin is obviously right to say that if we had other strikers, more pacey and mobile, they would have played, and  Scott wanted more attackers brought in in Jan, but we only managed to get Maja,  good as he is, but more of an in the box  sniffer than  a pacey attacker.

Now, though with Mitro's  return to form at international level,  after all his problems, Scott has reintroduced him to the side, in an attempt to get the goals we need, showing again that he is prepared to change things if needed.
If it hasn't worked so far, i think it is lack of players who can   get service to Mitro, rather than either Scott, or Mitro's fault.

But I'm sure Scott and his coaches are working hard with the players to get it right, and hopefully we will get the points that all our attacking play, and  creation of chances,  has deserved, and begin to score some much needed goals.

colinwhite

Quote from: clarkey on April 16, 2021, 04:56:58 PM
I think we have given Parker a really good run. We fully realised he was inexperienced but frankly there comes a time when enough is enough, and that is clearly now.
He does not know how to change a match, his substitutions are always late, and his team selections are so odd at times as to be severely unbalanced. We have played horrible football now for two years, with a really negative passing style in the Championship followed by some terribly inept performances in the Prem with no goals for weeks. Attack wise he is so limited. I bet RLC and Cav are in the team on Sunday, which is disgraceful really.

If fans had been allowed in then the discontent would have surfaced loud and clear well before now. But there has to be a time limit on this series of bad judgements and mistakes.That time has come. The games against Leeds, Villa and Wolves were woeful.

Quote from: MJG on April 16, 2021, 05:46:38 PM
Interested to know what people think is the number when inexperienced becomes experienced and when the former can no longer be used as an excuse?

If you get promoted from the championship in your first year in senior managemnet and then find yourself in the premier league then you are clearly still a rookie.  Parker has huge experience of the PL league but not of man management, coaching senior players or building a team (its his first attempt ) so he is still every inexperienced in my book.

Clarkey ,was hoping you might write a post without mentioning Cavleiro ,but it just wasnt to be !!

blingo

Quote from: colinwhite on April 16, 2021, 06:24:58 PM
Quote from: clarkey on April 16, 2021, 04:56:58 PM

Quote from: MJG on April 16, 2021, 05:46:38 PM

If you get promoted from the championship in your first year in senior managemnet and then find yourself in the premier league then you are clearly still a rookie.  Parker has huge experience of the PL league but not of man management, coaching senior players or building a team (its his first attempt ) so he is still every inexperienced in my book.

Clarkey ,was hoping you might write a post without mentioning Cavleiro ,but it just wasnt to be !!

If that's the case Clarkey, WHY keep him as a manager? To learn his trade at our expense?