watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Gazzaniga

Started by Denver Fulham, September 11, 2021, 05:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt10

No real mistakes regarding making saves or catching crosses. Just like for any outfield player, the surface was greasy but had some stick to it that made it surprisingly slow on the ground. Gazzaniga had just as much difficulty in adjusting to it.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Jim© on September 15, 2021, 09:49:18 PM
Thought he was excellent tonight, 2 very good saves, 3 or 4 decent ones. Perhaps it'll stop some of the scapegoaters?
I agree, he did very well but I doubt your last question/suggestion.   He's this season's scapegoat despite:
Played 7   Won 5   Drawn 1   Lost 1   For 17   Against 5   G Diff +12    Pts 16     

Nothing else to complain about for some.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

MartyFFC

To be fair even the sky commentary team were discussing how edgy he looked, and how he looked like he had a mistake in him. But there's no doubt he made some great saves, especially towards the end

Whitestone

Gazzaniga made a number of crucial saves tonight and what a wonderful long pass to Wilson in the first half which could easily have led to a goal.

Nick Bateman

Gazza looked so calm which is what one would want at the back. I still wonder why goalkeepers do not merely wait for a penalty to be kicked and dive at the ball, rather than try to outguess the kicker. If you did that for normal shots the 'keeper would be letting in 10 goals a game!
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Milo

Very good long balls. I counted 3 I think practically inch perfect eg to Wilson.

HOWEVER remains a dodgy keeper. I want my keeper to save shots. I'll let the others create the goal scoring chances.

Rodak in ASAP.

Whitestone

Quote from: Milo on September 16, 2021, 07:15:31 AM
Very good long balls. I counted 3 I think practically inch perfect eg to Wilson.

HOWEVER remains a dodgy keeper. I want my keeper to save shots. I'll let the others create the goal scoring chances.

Rodak in ASAP.

I think you're being very unfair on Gazzaniga. He made countless saves last night. We weren't at our sparkling best despite the scoreline. If any of the Birmingham chances had gone in things could have gone differently but they didn't thanks to Gazza who is the manager's pick, so I doubt we'll see Rodak in league games any time soon.

rebel

It's still early, even AA took time to settle in last season.   

junior white

Aside from a few dodgy passes in the first 10 or 12 minutes tonight he looked ok. He is a modern keeper that parries rather than catches, similar to Areola last season. Personally my preference is for someone who comes from crosses and commands his while area rather than the 6 yard box. However, we do not have one of those in the squad, so while he is making saves , and last night there were some good saves, i have nothing to complain about with him. Keepers make mistakes it usually ends up in a goal, when others make mistakes those behind them try to limit the damage, thats the life of a keeper.

Deeping_white

Rodak in ASAP.

But he did literally just that and pulled off some fantastic saves to bail out the defence on a few occasions. He also did Ream a huge favour against Blackpool too

Bassey the warrior

Rodak in ASAP.

I'm a hige Rodak fan but Gazzaniga was one of the main reasons we won last night. Made countless saves.

Fulham1959

Quote from: Nick Bateman on September 15, 2021, 10:26:09 PM
Gazza looked so calm which is what one would want at the back. I still wonder why goalkeepers do not merely wait for a penalty to be kicked and dive at the ball, rather than try to outguess the kicker. If you did that for normal shots the 'keeper would be letting in 10 goals a game!

I hadn't realised that saving a penalty was that simple.   :022:

junior white

Quote from: Fulham1959 on September 16, 2021, 11:30:22 AM

Most pens that are saved the keeper doesnt wait for the ball to be struck he guesses and goes base don research.

I am assuming last night that our keeper felt that based on film watched that Deeney was likely to go down the middle hence the standing still, he may also have shifted his weight to dive to his right and realised it went the other way. I actually do not think Deeney meant to put it where he did as that would have been saved by any keeper diving th e right way i think he wanted more height.
C'est la vie we still won

MartyFFC

Deeney often smashes it down the middle and so whilst it may have looked ridiculous, it was actually a worthwhile ploy to just stand there

Jim©

Quote from: junior white on September 16, 2021, 11:37:59 AM
Quote from: Fulham1959 on September 16, 2021, 11:30:22 AM

Most pens that are saved the keeper doesnt wait for the ball to be struck he guesses and goes base don research.

I am assuming last night that our keeper felt that based on film watched that Deeney was likely to go down the middle hence the standing still, he may also have shifted his weight to dive to his right and realised it went the other way. I actually do not think Deeney meant to put it where he did as that would have been saved by any keeper diving th e right way i think he wanted more height.
C'est la vie we still won

Pretty sure I saw Cholabah motioning to Gazza just the same (ie down the middle). To be fair to Deeney, he absolutely thumped it.

Woolly Mammoth

Gazza does look nervous at crucial times, and this obsession with parrying the ball as opposed to catching it is a huge shortcoming for a keeper at this level.
Having said that he got Ream off the hook and made a couple really decent saves with excellent reflexes, so his keeping of goal since he has been with Fulham is a bit of a mixed bag.
Nevertheless as mentioned above he could be seen as a dodgy keeper, and if I was defending in front of him I would not feel that comfortable.
End of the day we won 4 1 away at a ground which is not particularly welcoming on a pitch that looked as if it had been doctored to favour the home team which gave the impression of being a sticky and unpredictable surface. So there were mitigating circumstances on this occasion, but for me he has not convinced me that he is good enough for our team as first choice yet.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

General

Have to admit, I was surprised he didn't even dive for their penalty. Just choose a side and you've a 50% or so chance of getting it right. Don't think I can remember seeing a gk who's job is to save goals not move for a penalty.

Caedal

I personally thought Deeney was gonna go down the middle, so I wasnt upset that he didnt dive

ChesterTheTabby

Quote from: Caedal on September 16, 2021, 03:30:51 PM
I personally thought Deeney was gonna go down the middle, so I wasnt upset that he didnt dive

Exactly my sentiments
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

paulbrookersmazydribbles

I've been one of Gazzaniga's biggest critics this season but I thought he was excellent last night. A number of good saves that contributed to the scoreline being far more comfortable than it might have been.