https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

LFC fans in Riverside Ejected

Started by Neil D, March 17, 2019, 06:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaySmith

Quote from: bobbo on March 18, 2019, 06:22:15 PM
Quote from: RaySmith on March 18, 2019, 11:28:35 AM
The rules have to be enforced when found to be blatantly broken, otherwise teams like Liverpool and Man U would just take over the Cottage.

I was in  a home end at West ham when we  won there in in Div. 2, about 1980, and celebrated  a Fulham goal - we won the game, and was told by the police that I had to leave or I would be taken into protective custody - and I probably would have got a hiding from WH fans  if i'd stayed.

I doubt it's much different at West Ham now.

It's true  opposing fans do think we're a soft touch, and laugh at us having a Neutral Zone - I've witnessed this talking to away fans in the pub before the game.
weird really ray I was at West Ham about four weeks ago when we lost 3-1 and right in the thick near where players come out of West Ham fans couldn't help punching my fist into my other hand when we scored . The fella sitting next to me said you must be Fulham I told yes and we talked nearly all game agout times gone by with both our clubs. But I'm an old git now and I'm sure he respected that , so rare circumstances it can work.

Funnily enough Bobbo, I asked an old bloke the way to the ground when we played WH a few weeks ago, and he said 'are you Fulham? I'll show you the way' and he did, and was very friendly, and we chatted away

Of course Bobbo, most fans are  friendly when you meet them, and I'm talking about 1980 when I was in a home end at Upton Park, when it was still all standing,and probably celebrating a Fulham goal a bit tool openly, and I think you could still encounter trouble doing the same thing today. You celebrated discretely, and were maybe in quite a good seat?

It doesn't change my cebtral argument that if fans openly reveal they are away fans in a home area at Fulham, the rules should be applied, and they should be thrown out, because the rule is inefffective if you don't apply it when flagrantly flouted. This was a game that many Fulham fans probably weren't able to attend because it was sold out - to season ticket holders and members.

Chesh

Seems to me that people would rather eradicate the relatively harmless symptom than the cause, which is our football club.

The reason FFC fans were not in those seats is because  Fulham FC made sure they sold inpromptu memberships, to ensure that overpriced tickets were all sold - knowing full well that those memberships would be taken up by Liverpool fans and touts.

Once this has happened, it was not a secret that there would be Liverpool fans in home areas.

As I  said the horse had already bolted, and if Fulham FC choose the same method of ticket sales again it will happen against any big team.

Yet people would rather froth at the mouth over non-threatening families who naively or otherwise have taken advantage of our club's own policy to see their team.

I totally agree that threatening, or mouthy, away fans should get dealt with on the spot, but I don't understand why banter could not have replaced total intolerance in this case  - this dad and his kids were trying to enjoy a football match.....I really don't see what people were so frightened of (rules or no rules), especially when the dad apologised and promised to tone it down.

Made in Hammersmith (1968)

SG

'I totally agree that threatening, or mouthy, away fans should get dealt with on the spot, but I don't understand why banter could not have replaced total intolerance in this case  - this dad and his kids were trying to enjoy a football match.....I really don't see what people were so frightened of (rules or no rules), especially when the dad apologised and promised to tone it down.'

Agree entirely. We like to think that we are different, a friendly club. That should extend to a Dad and his young sons watching at Craven Cottage, home area or not. Many fans say that their favourite away day is a visit to the Cottage. I take great pride in that.

filham

Quote from: Dodgin on March 18, 2019, 08:26:29 AM
There were the day's of no stand at the Putney end and Riversida and you could move from one end to the other. Those times have gone but this seems a little bit of over reaction to me
Yes those days have gone but those of us that experienced them find the current hard segregation attitude difficult to accept.

filham

Quote from: epsomraver on March 18, 2019, 05:38:45 PM
Quote from: filham on March 18, 2019, 05:31:21 PM
So we ejected a harmless family from the ground and really spoilt their expensive day out, surely a little common sense could have been applied.

A few years ago I took a lady who was an armchair Arsenal fan to the Arsenal Fulham game as an 80th birthday present, she had never been to the new Arsenal home and she had a wonderful day. We both sat in the Fulham end, was I wrong to do this.

Surely we all like to take friends and relations who are not Fulham fans to the Cottage .

What am I going to say to my granddaughter, a strong Watford fan, in a few weeks time when she announces that she has got a ticket for me next to her at Vicarage Road for the Watford v Fulham match.
easy don't wear colours and don't celebrate, simple as that
[/quot
Quote from: epsomraver on March 18, 2019, 05:38:45 PM
Quote from: filham on March 18, 2019, 05:31:21 PM
So we ejected a harmless family from the ground and really spoilt their expensive day out, surely a little common sense could have been applied.

A few years ago I took a lady who was an armchair Arsenal fan to the Arsenal Fulham game as an 80th birthday present, she had never been to the new Arsenal home and she had a wonderful day. We both sat in the Fulham end, was I wrong to do this.

Surely we all like to take friends and relations who are not Fulham fans to the Cottage .

What am I going to say to my granddaughter, a strong Watford fan, in a few weeks time when she announces that she has got a ticket for me next to her at Vicarage Road for the Watford v Fulham match.
easy don't wear colours and don't celebrate, simple as that
Ok I can manage the colour advice but I am going to have to concentrate hard on the celebration attitude especially when Mitrovic hits his third goal.
But what you are saying is that it is alright to break the rule just make sure you are not caught.

SmithyFFC

I was actually sitting in the home end for the reverse fixture this season in November (surrounded by tourists I might add) with a Liverpool-supporting mate of mine.

Was basically absolutely level with the play with Mitro headed in what looked like the opener - did I jump up and start celebrating when I thought we went ahead? No, there's nothing inherently nefarious about sitting in the 'wrong' end at a game, but being respectful and mindful of those sitting around you is just obvious.

If you celebrate an away goal in the home end, or your wearing an away shirt or whatever, you should be ejected automatically, age is irrelevant and ignorance is no excuse.

FTID

Neil D

The more posts I read on this thread the more I regret not asking the stewards to let them stay and the more I regret my comment about Liverpool supporters in general.  It just adds grist to the mill of unwarranted intolerance.  If they had been mouthy yobs, then obviously they should have been ejected.  If the Liverpool guy in front of me (two seats to the right) did celebrate,  it must have been over in a nano-second because I did not notice it.  The Fulham fan sitting next to them said he wasn't bothered by them - but only after two stewards had led them away.  Shame on me. 

Chesh

Quote from: SmithyFFC on March 19, 2019, 12:14:56 PM
If you celebrate an away goal in the home end, or your wearing an away shirt or whatever, you should be ejected automatically, age is irrelevant and ignorance is no excuse.
It's just a very sad indictment of peoples' tolerance that a dad who apologises for daring to show brief delight when his team scores should be hounded out with two bemused kids, because he supports the other team, and happens to have obtained tickets in the wrong end.

If I was sat next to them, it wouldn't spoil my enjoyment of the game, unless he got lairy (which doesn't include mildly celebrating a goal).

Is your wish for automatic ejection in all cases  because it is what football fans are 'expected' to call for, or because it would genuinely make you feel uncomfortable?

Chesh

Quote from: Neil D on March 19, 2019, 01:09:27 PM
The more posts I read on this thread the more I regret not asking the stewards to let them stay and the more I regret my comment about Liverpool supporters in general.  It just adds grist to the mill of unwarranted intolerance.  If they had been mouthy yobs, then obviously they should have been ejected.  If the Liverpool guy in front of me (two seats to the right) did celebrate,  it must have been over in a nano-second because I did not notice it.  The Fulham fan sitting next to them said he wasn't bothered by them - but only after two stewards had led them away.  Shame on me. 
0001.jpeg
100% this

Westlondonffc

[/quote

Let's do away with segregation altogether and have a completely neutral ground with maybe just the enclosure for just actual Fulham fans, since the club and certain people on here couldn't care less who is in the seats as long as they're sold

Wingnut

Quote from: Chesh on March 19, 2019, 10:11:04 AM
The reason FFC fans were not in those seats is because  Fulham FC made sure they sold inpromptu memberships, to ensure that overpriced tickets were all sold - knowing full well that those memberships would be taken up by Liverpool fans and touts.

The is the core issue for me. The club's pricing strategy for home games has been very short-sighted. If tickets were priced and distributed differently, most of those seats would have been snapped up by Fulham fans and the ejection of visiting supporters from the main stands would not be an issue. The cheapest ticket (non-family) for our home game against Man City is £55. £45 for Everton. Given our pending relegation, most people are not going to pay that. Lessons need to be learned from the way away tickets are being priced.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Whitesideup

Quote from: SG on March 19, 2019, 10:22:07 AM
'I totally agree that threatening, or mouthy, away fans should get dealt with on the spot, but I don't understand why banter could not have replaced total intolerance in this case  - this dad and his kids were trying to enjoy a football match.....I really don't see what people were so frightened of (rules or no rules), especially when the dad apologised and promised to tone it down.'

Agree entirely. We like to think that we are different, a friendly club. That should extend to a Dad and his young sons watching at Craven Cottage, home area or not. Many fans say that their favourite away day is a visit to the Cottage. I take great pride in that.
+1

SmithyFFC

Quote from: Chesh on March 19, 2019, 01:23:41 PM
Quote from: SmithyFFC on March 19, 2019, 12:14:56 PM
It's just a very sad indictment of peoples' tolerance that a dad who apologises for daring to show brief delight when his team scores should be hounded out with two bemused kids, because he supports the other team, and happens to have obtained tickets in the wrong end.

If I was sat next to them, it wouldn't spoil my enjoyment of the game, unless he got lairy (which doesn't include mildly celebrating a goal).

Is your wish for automatic ejection in all cases  because it is what football fans are 'expected' to call for, or because it would genuinely make you feel uncomfortable?

I don't think it's too much to ask for, especially when you're paying ridiculous prices in the Premier League, to not have to sit near people who are actively supporting the other team. As I said above, there is no inherent problem with supporters in the wrong end, but having other people rubbing it in when there team scores is not what anyone signs up for when they buy a ticket surely?
FTID

RaySmith

It's also the principle of having home and away segregation, with season tickets and memberships for Fulham fans only. Why would anyone buy a membership in this scenario? To get tickets to sell to away fans?

If you allow one family openly  away fans, then you might as well do away with the idea of segregation - just have the whole ground one big Neutral Area - and then you'd probably often  find most of the ground like the Neutral zone - packed with away fans

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Westlondonffc on March 19, 2019, 01:46:55 PM

Let's do away with segregation altogether and have a completely neutral ground with maybe just the enclosure for just actual Fulham fans, since the club and certain people on here couldn't care less who is in the seats as long as they're sold

Have we completely forgotten history. For the 29th May 1985 Liverpool game, the Belgium's authorities thought that Section Z of Heysel stadium could be a neutral section with both home and away fans, this decision resulted in the death of 39 people and 600 injured. Since then rules have been put in place that have worked, then i strongly suggest we keep following them.

If you allow Liverpool fans that bought ticket in the home end (that broke the rules buying the ticket illegally) that look harmless stay in the stand. And, surely its equally ok for another Liverpool Fan to buy a ticket in the home end even if he does look like he is there to cause trouble. If you say Liverpool fans can have a ticket, then you cannot kick him out until he does something wrong.

Chesh

Quote from: The Rational Fan on March 19, 2019, 02:29:46 PM

Have we completely forgotten history. For the 29th May 1985 Liverpool game, the Belgium's authorities thought that Section Z of Heysel stadium could be a neutral section with both home and away fans, this decision resulted in the death of 39 people and 600 injured. Since then rules have been put in place that have worked, then i strongly suggest we keep following them.

If you allow Liverpool fans that bought ticket in the home end (that broke the rules buying the ticket illegally) that look harmless stay in the stand. And, surely its equally ok for another Liverpool Fan to buy a ticket in the home end even if he does look like he is there to cause trouble. If you say Liverpool fans can have a ticket, then you cannot kick him out until he does something wrong.
Trying use Heysel as justifcation as to why these three people should have been chucked out like they were, is totally inappropriate, and you know it.

Heysel was about dozens/hundreds of drunk Liverpool fans charging into Juventus fans in the bad old days and intent on trouble - this was nothing of the sort (not even on the same planet).

Since the year dot, small pockets of away fans have been in the 'wrong seats', probably at every match there ever was....and I've witnessed this myself since the mid-seventies.

How they have been dealt with has ranged from getting a kicking, to leaving of their own accord or getting ejected, or staying with their heads relatively down (as long as they don't take then p***).

It's not a new phenomenon, and I would have thought that the family brought up in the original post would normally fall into the latter category.

All I'm trying to say is it SHOULD be horses for courses imo, and all cases are different.

SmithyFFC, no one is saying accept getting your nose rubbed in it, but I doubt very much this was the case on Sunday.

As someone puts it better on TiFF, and I don't want to nick his post, but are we really that precious that we can't handle it in today's football?

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Chesh on March 19, 2019, 03:05:43 PM

Trying use Heysel as justifcation as to why these three people should have been chucked out like they were, is totally inappropriate, and you know it.

Heysel was about dozens/hundreds of drunk Liverpool fans charging into Juventus fans in the bad old days and intent on trouble - this was nothing of the sort (not even on the same planet).

Since the year dot, small pockets of away fans have been in the 'wrong seats', probably at every match there ever was....and I've witnessed this myself since the mid-seventies.

How they have been dealt with has ranged from getting a kicking, to leaving of their own accord or getting ejected, or staying with their heads relatively down (as long as they don't take then p***).

It's not a new phenomenon, and I would have thought that the family brought up in the original post would normally fall into the latter category.

All I'm trying to say is it SHOULD be horses for courses imo, and all cases are different.

SmithyFFC, no one is saying accept getting your nose rubbed in it, but I doubt very much this was the case on Sunday.

As someone puts it better on TiFF, and I don't want to nick his post, but are we really that precious that we can't handle it in today's football?

The rules were put in place for reason, they worked and should be enforced until authorties fully decide to offical change the rules. It is true that the only fans we don't want are "lots of drunk Liverpool fans looking for a fight", but its very difficult to know how is drunk and even harder to know who is looking for a fight; so its easier kicking out all Liverpool Fans in the home section (then for sure you have kicked all the drunk Liverpool fans).

Alternatively, if FFC alllow well behaved Liverpool fans to set in the home are, drunk Liverpool fans will claim their sober and FFC falsely accused them demanding a refund. I agree with the rules, because they do prevent the trouble makers getting in the home end, but also prevent 100x other people gerting in for every one troublemaker; But, until we find a better way so be it.

HV71

Quote from: Whitesideup on March 19, 2019, 02:07:17 PM
Quote from: SG on March 19, 2019, 10:22:07 AM

+1

+ 2

Chesh

Quote from: The Rational Fan on March 19, 2019, 03:27:28 PM
Quote from: Chesh on March 19, 2019, 03:05:43 PM

The rules were put in place for reason, they worked and should be enforced until authorties fully decide to offical change the rules. It is true that the only fans we don't want are "lots of drunk Liverpool fans looking for a fight", but its very difficult to know how is drunk and even harder to know who is looking for a fight; so its easier kicking out all Liverpool Fans in the home section (then for sure you have kicked all the drunk Liverpool fans).

Alternatively, if FFC alllow well behaved Liverpool fans to set in the home are, drunk Liverpool fans will claim their sober and FFC falsely accused them demanding a refund. I agree with the rules, because they do prevent the trouble makers getting in the home end, but also prevent 100x other people gerting in for every one troublemaker; But, until we find a better way so be it.
Sorry mate, you've lost me now with this extreme over reaction - things have moved on a bit since 1985...  :022: