https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Coronavirus Thread / New / Old / Merged

Started by I Ronic, March 01, 2020, 11:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ByTheRiver

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on April 14, 2020, 07:41:50 PM
Tom Peck... 064.gif

Not quite as partisan as your beloved Fox News, I concede...

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: ByTheRiver on April 14, 2020, 07:45:53 PM
Tom Peck... 064.gif

Quote from: ByTheRiver on April 14, 2020, 07:45:53 PM
Tom Peck... 064.gif

I only read the Cambridge Evening News old bean,the best local paper anywhere.😊

FFC1987

Quote from: ByTheRiver on April 14, 2020, 07:15:26 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on April 14, 2020, 07:03:08 PM
I really struggle to appreciate the leading source on an opinion being from the independent. Once a great paper with amazing journalistic integrity, now a shallow, click baity hole of half truths and political smears. I'll give it a read but will likely take with a pinch of salt.

Fair. It wasn't that it was in The Independent, just that it brought together my own thoughts (and some much longer, detailed articles I've read) in a very digestible, immediate way. I'm hoping that will get more people to read it and then potentially explore further...

That's fair.

Statto

Quote from: ByTheRiver on April 14, 2020, 06:58:34 PM
Disagree with almost everything here, old bean. I don't want to bore people with as to why, but this short succinct '5 min read' in The Independent yesterday covers most of the points I've made previously. I implore everyone here to have a read (it's literally 5 mins) regardless of their current mindset.

Why would I (or you) read or value a political sketchwriter's commentary on this subject?

This isn't a matter of opinion or speculation like Brexit or austerity or who should play left-back.

It's about simple, publicly-available numbers that anyone can see, if they can be bothered (clearly, Tom Peck couldn't).

For example, given there's a 20 day gap between the date of our lockdown and the latest number of deaths data, anyone can go and see where our peer countries are/were at this point -

Neil D

Quote from: ByTheRiver on April 14, 2020, 06:58:34 PM

Disagree with almost everything here, old bean. I don't want to bore people with as to why, but this short succinct '5 min read' in The Independent yesterday covers most of the points I've made previously. I implore everyone here to have a read (it's literally 5 mins) regardless of their current mindset.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/coronavirus-uk-deaths-lockdown-boris-johnson-nhs-testing-a9462951.html

Great read - some unpalatable truths for some on this board, no doubt.  Our PM was so anxious to ape the antics of the clueless buffoon in the White House that he wasted nearly two precious weeks with his finger up his arse, showboating.  Nothing to see here, folks.  Move along now. Britain will go it alone, we'll do it our way etc.  Remember it was Premier League which shut down its fixtures, not 'the 'science-led' government. Now we pay the price. 

Woolly Mammoth

This Coronavirus lockdown has given me the opportunity to grow a full beard, step up my weight training in my mini gym from three days to five days a week split routine. High protein diet and even dusted my old punch bag down ( not the wife ), speed ball is back in action and I haven't lost my timing with the skipping rope, it's all coming back to me, muscle memory.
I shall be ready to crack a few heads when I am released and looking forward to it.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

filham

So after all that can anyone say a likely date for the next match at the Cottage ?

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: filham on April 14, 2020, 10:31:38 PM
So after all that can anyone say a likely date for the next match at the Cottage ?

No not me, not until around 2021 I would have thought.

Never forget your Roots.

jarv

Woolly, love your post about your fitness routine. I have not read many on this subject (too many) but will do to see what everyone else is doing.

For me, not great... I was 2 or 3 days away from an agreement to sell my business then this virus hit :doh:. Then my annual trip back to UK cancelled, BA sent official email this morning, flight cancelled, confirmed. Next, I caught the bloody virus but not too bad, just felt like crap for a few days then ok.  Did not go out for 2 weeks so doing nothing much, I consider it my apprenticeship for full retirement when the business is sold.

Reading quite a bit which is good, otherwise it is netflix, good home cooked food and plenty of wine. (and some walking but don't tell anyone)

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: jarv on April 16, 2020, 03:00:29 PM
Woolly, love your post about your fitness routine. I have not read many on this subject (too many) but will do to see what everyone else is doing.

For me, not great... I was 2 or 3 days away from an agreement to sell my business then this virus hit :doh:. Then my annual trip back to UK cancelled, BA sent official email this morning, flight cancelled, confirmed. Next, I caught the bloody virus but not too bad, just felt like crap for a few days then ok.  Did not go out for 2 weeks so doing nothing much, I consider it my apprenticeship for full retirement when the business is sold.

Reading quite a bit which is good, otherwise it is netflix, good home cooked food and plenty of wine. (and some walking but don't tell anyone)

Jarv, Sorry to hear about you catching this dam virus, though glad to hear your back in shape.
Hopefully you can sell your business in due course. I find reading a good way to relax, passing the time and increases knowledge, especially now we appear to have more time on our hands.
I have become a fan of Netflix since the lockdown, but I have to say that a fitness routine is a must. It is just a case of not trying to do too much at once, just ease back in and do not over train. Let the body recover and remember discipline is so important. Not to miss a session when you may not feel like it, it's all in the mind,  but once you get started and blood starts pumping round your body, and carries oxygen to the brain, and suddenly you get the flavour, and you won't want to miss a session, and if you do miss a session for any reason you feel guilty, so I do recommend it because once you get to a certain age and you start to slow down, the body will strip the bones for the calcium if you are not getting it in the normal way through diet and sunshine, and that's when the body/skeleton starts to shrink and the bones become brittle. That's why there are not that many overweight pensioners around, and the ones that are generally suffer with health issue.
The body including muscles and the skeleton is designed to be active and exercise, just as important in later life with weight bearing exercises. Too many people when they retire make the mistake of loafing  around as the no longer are following a strict regime, and the well known secret is to carry out weight bearing exercise for a better quality of life, and it very good for the brain.
Very much like a car, if you neglect your car or stop using it, the car will seize up as it is designed to be driving around much like the human body. You are what you eat, so now is the time to turn your body into a Temple.   

Never forget your Roots.

cottage expat

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 16, 2020, 06:03:53 PM
Quote from: jarv on April 16, 2020, 03:00:29 PM

Jarv, Sorry to hear about you catching this dam virus, though glad to hear your back in shape.
Hopefully you can sell your business in due course. I find reading a good way to relax, passing the time and increases knowledge, especially now we appear to have more time on our hands.
I have become a fan of Netflix since the lockdown, but I have to say that a fitness routine is a must. It is just a case of not trying to do too much at once, just ease back in and do not over train. Let the body recover and remember discipline is so important. Not to miss a session when you may not feel like it, it's all in the mind,  but once you get started and blood starts pumping round your body, and carries oxygen to the brain, and suddenly you get the flavour, and you won't want to miss a session, and if you do miss a session for any reason you feel guilty, so I do recommend it because once you get to a certain age and you start to slow down, the body will strip the bones for the calcium if you are not getting it in the normal way through diet and sunshine, and that's when the body/skeleton starts to shrink and the bones become brittle. That's why there are not that many overweight pensioners around, and the ones that are generally suffer with health issue.
The body including muscles and the skeleton is designed to be active and exercise, just as important in later life with weight bearing exercises. Too many people when they retire make the mistake of loafing  around as the no longer are following a strict regime, and the well known secret is to carry out weight bearing exercise for a better quality of life, and it very good for the brain.
Very much like a car, if you neglect your car or stop using it, the car will seize up as it is designed to be driving around much like the human body. You are what you eat, so now is the time to turn your body into a Temple.   

Sound advice, Woolly. Being in home detention it is even more more important, for both physical and mental health ,to have a daily exercise routine.

Neil D

Quote from: cottage expat on April 16, 2020, 07:06:24 PM

Sound advice, Woolly. Being in home detention it is even more more important, for both physical and mental health ,to have a daily exercise routine.

Take delivery of my new bike tomorrow.  Pleased the bike shops are still open.  That was a welcome surprise.

Woolly Mammoth

I remember going out in my teans with a girl who everyone I knew called her a bike for some reason. I think she eventually went and joined the Foreign Legion, I have often wondered if it was anything I said influenced her in that decision.

Never forget your Roots.

jarv

yes, sound advice woolly.  I have always exercised, played sports. I hate being out of shape. Played (age appropriate football) til I was 67. Massachusetts state champions twice in the over 55 league. Since then, gone back to tennis and took up golf. The golf surprised me, I played about 30 rounds last summer and lost an inch on my waist and I felt great. Playing 3 or 4 times a week is definitely better than playing football on Sunday morning for 90 minutes. I am walking at the moment until golf starts up. Can't ride my bike, too bloody cold here and snow forecast this weekend.

Woolly Mammoth

Your a better man than me Jarv, as I tried to start playing golf, but I always seem to have a rubber club when driving down the range. Putting was reasonable but I decided to give it up as I had hands like feet, that is why I will never be able to play the piano, I do seem to be more of a natural at Draughts though.

Never forget your Roots.

Mince n Tatties

150 Romanians were flown into this country by charter plane yesterday to pick fruit and veg.
Couldn't they find 150 Virus free people from here,who would be glad of the money at this time to do it...Country is insane sometimes.

FFCAli

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on April 17, 2020, 12:46:08 PM
150 Romanians were flown into this country by charter plane yesterday to pick fruit and veg.
Couldn't they find 150 Virus free people from here,who would be glad of the money at this time to do it...Country is insane sometimes.
I heard they tried but no one here (or not enough) was prepared to put in the hours of back-breaking work.  A few years ago there was a TV programme on this point.  Of the few Brits who signed up for the work none turned up the 2nd day.

MikeTheCubed

Quote from: FFCAli on April 17, 2020, 12:58:23 PM
I heard they tried but no one here (or not enough) was prepared to put in the hours of back-breaking work.  A few years ago there was a TV programme on this point.  Of the few Brits who signed up for the work none turned up the 2nd day.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52215606

Record numbers of people in the UK are looking for farming jobs, according to figures released by job search engines.

Totaljobs says it has seen 50,000 searches for farming jobs in the past week alone.

Steve Warnham of Totaljobs said workers "who have been temporarily displaced due to Covid-19 are now looking for roles in other sectors".

The UK faces a shortage of fruit and vegetable pickers because of travel restrictions on overseas workers.

Totaljobs said it had seen an 83% increase in applications for agricultural roles in the past month.

It added that searches for terms such as "fruit picker" or "farm worker" had surged by 338% and 107% respectively.

Logicalman

Quote from: MikeTheCubed on April 17, 2020, 12:58:30 PM

Quote from: FFCAli on April 17, 2020, 12:58:23 PM

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52215606

Record numbers of people in the UK are looking for farming jobs, according to figures released by job search engines.

Totaljobs says it has seen 50,000 searches for farming jobs in the past week alone.

Steve Warnham of Totaljobs said workers "who have been temporarily displaced due to Covid-19 are now looking for roles in other sectors".

The UK faces a shortage of fruit and vegetable pickers because of travel restrictions on overseas workers.

Totaljobs said it had seen an 83% increase in applications for agricultural roles in the past month.

It added that searches for terms such as "fruit picker" or "farm worker" had surged by 338% and 107% respectively.

Until they try it, of course!  :005:
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

john dempsey

don't know if it is a misprint or fake news but there is a report in todays press
that 15000 people still flying into the country every day. doesn't say how many are leaving though.
the lunatics have taken over the asylum....