https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Coronavirus Thread / New / Old / Merged

Started by I Ronic, March 01, 2020, 11:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: FFCAli on April 17, 2020, 12:58:23 PM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on April 17, 2020, 12:46:08 PM
150 Romanians were flown into this country by charter plane yesterday to pick fruit and veg.
Couldn't they find 150 Virus free people from here,who would be glad of the money at this time to do it...Country is insane sometimes.
I heard they tried but no one here (or not enough) was prepared to put in the hours of back-breaking work.  A few years ago there was a TV programme on this point.  Of the few Brits who signed up for the work none turned up the 2nd day.

Nonsense... Whole lot of kids from my area in Suffolk wanted the work.

South Coast White

The main reason the brits dont want this work is the fact that the wages are so pitifull. Agreed it is quite physical work and long hours, but how about offering those out of work and on benefits, other than those currently being furloughed doing this work and allowing their benefits to remain unaffected. We should NOT be flying in workers from abroad at this time, its madness.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: South Coast White on April 17, 2020, 01:50:07 PM
The main reason the brits dont want this work is the fact that the wages are so pitifull. Agreed it is quite physical work and long hours, but how about offering those out of work and on benefits, other than those currently being furloughed doing this work and allowing their benefits to remain unaffected. We should NOT be flying in workers from abroad at this time, its madness.

Brits have applied, that's what makes it mind boggling at this time....

Statto

150 Romanians were flown into this country by charter plane yesterday to pick fruit and veg.
Couldn't they find 150 Virus free people from here,who would be glad of the money at this time to do it...Country is insane sometimes.

Number of COVID-19 deaths in Romania... 400
Number of COVID-19 deaths in UK... 14,576

I expect they, quite rightly, thought they'd a far better chance of getting "150 virus free people" by flying some in from Romania rather than by sourcing them from our own disease-riddled population

Bloody Romanians, coming over here and catching our diseases  :005:

Twig

Quote from: Statto on April 17, 2020, 02:56:53 PM

Number of COVID-19 deaths in Romania... 400
Number of COVID-19 deaths in UK... 14,576

I expect they, quite rightly, thought they'd a far better chance of getting "150 virus free people" by flying some in from Romania rather than by sourcing them from our own disease-riddled population

Bloody Romanians, coming over here and catching our diseases  :005:

Lol

filham

If it is correct that Rumania has suffered only 400 Coronavirus deaths isn't it time someone asked the question why. It doesn't show up on those  official graphs we are being shown every evening at about 5pm.

Neil D

Quote from: filham on April 17, 2020, 03:34:17 PM
If it is correct that Rumania has suffered only 400 Coronavirus deaths isn't it time someone asked the question why. It doesn't show up on those  official graphs we are being shown every evening at about 5pm.

Their tests per million population at 4460  isn't too far behind the UK (6467).  Bloody foreigners - not knowing their place again.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on April 17, 2020, 02:37:13 PM

According to local growers, there is a need for experienced pickers to train/supervise novices. Also, pickers need to live very close by - I know one Brit living near Guildford who volunteered  but withdrew when told he'd have to move to Hampshire and stay in a caravan on site.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Logicalman

Quote from: Southcoastffc on April 18, 2020, 10:04:41 AM

According to local growers, there is a need for experienced pickers to train/supervise novices. Also, pickers need to live very close by - I know one Brit living near Guildford who volunteered  but withdrew when told he'd have to move to Hampshire and stay in a caravan on site.

I'm certain there's a few QPR fans out there willing to lend him theirs!
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Twig

My brother-in-law is a grower in Wisbech and it is absolutely correct that the pickers have to Either be locals or move to stay in local accommodation. There is an old army camp that is used by a lot of these seasonal workers.  If a British applicant were prepared to move then he sees no reason why they wouldn't be selected. But bear in mind that a lot of it is done on a piecework basis so unless you are reasonably quick and willing to graft Long hours you won't earn much.

Holders

Today's Sunday Times summarises what many of us have been saying for weeks.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

ffcthereligion

Quote from: Robbie on March 01, 2020, 06:17:04 PM
It is bad flu and will be non-news by the end of the Month.

I like this comment

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Twig on April 19, 2020, 10:33:37 AM

My brother-in-law is a grower in Wisbech and it is absolutely correct that the pickers have to Either be locals or move to stay in local accommodation. There is an old army camp that is used by a lot of these seasonal workers.  If a British applicant were prepared to move then he sees no reason why they wouldn't be selected. But bear in mind that a lot of it is done on a piecework basis so unless you are reasonably quick and willing to graft Long hours you won't earn much.
If anyone's really interested, the information is all here (and really well set out):

https://www.concordiavolunteers.org.uk/
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Holders

Quote from: ffcthereligion on April 19, 2020, 11:24:18 AM

I like this comment

Yes, that's one of several whereas some other posters have since done a volte-face.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Statto

Quote from: Holders on April 19, 2020, 02:45:15 PM

I like this comment

Yes, that's one of several whereas some other posters have since done a volte-face.

Still think Andy S comment on the first page of this thread sums it up.

"If you are fit you will recover. If you're not you probably didn't have long left anyway."

Neil D

Quote from: Holders on April 19, 2020, 10:57:40 AM
Today's Sunday Times summarises what many of us have been saying for weeks.

Indeed it does.  In an earlier post on this thread I got it badly wrong when I described Johnson as a 'showboater'.  Having read the feature, it is clear that he is, in fact, a bone idle showboater.  Mea culpa.

Twig

Quote from: Statto on April 19, 2020, 02:48:21 PM

I like this comment

"If you are fit you will recover. If you're not you probably didn't have long left anyway."

Sums it up, just incorrectly. Plenty of fit people and with no underlying problems have died and more will no doubt follow. A minority of the total, but a significant minority.

ALG01

Quote from: Twig on April 19, 2020, 03:15:21 PM

I like this comment

I heard on BBC's more or less that the analysis shows that deaths follow the same patern as during any other period. the proportion of old and infirm is x% and those that are apparently fit and healthy but die anyway is y%. the same rough order of magnotude applies to this virus. so being fit and healthy is good but is not a 100% guarantee.

Sums it up, just incorrectly. Plenty of fit people and with no underlying problems have died and more will no doubt follow. A minority of the total, but a significant minority.

FFC1987

I like this comment

I seem to recall they always suggested there would be mortality rates of about 1% or less in the fit category didn't they? So the cases your suggesting are still in line I believe if the stats maintain.

Statto

Quote from: FFC1987 on April 19, 2020, 04:32:50 PM

I like this comment

I seem to recall they always suggested there would be mortality rates of about 1% or less in the fit category didn't they? So the cases your suggesting are still in line I believe if the stats maintain.

1% is across all ages and backgrounds. Even at that level there's data suggesting it will be lower - 0.37% is the last I read (from antibodies testing of c. 1,000 people in a village in Germany). If you're healthy and under 40, the mortality rate will be much lower still,  almost certainly less than 0.1% (so less than 1 in 1,000) or perhaps even 0.01% (1 in 10,000).