watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Coronavirus Thread / New / Old / Merged

Started by I Ronic, March 01, 2020, 11:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ByTheRiver

Just a quick one to say I agree with the two points made above (F(f)CUK and Peabody).

Good job to the mods for keeping it going and allowing people to exchange views. It's a really difficult one as its not football or Fulham related so should usually have no place (such as election chat and so on) but its so all consuming and huge (those of us fortunate enough to have been born after the war have never known anything of this magnitude and impact) that its always going to resurface in discussions. And, I don't know, maybe in a weird way, talking about it, even disagreeing and seeing other viewpoints, helps in a way.

Also agree with Peabody. We are fortunate. Very fortunate when you look at the impact this has on people here with less stable finances and/or work, and certainly those who have become ill or whose family/friends/loved ones have. Even more so, perhaps, when you consider countries less well off where there is no furloughed salaries, where there is no readily available internet (for arguing with people who support the same side and are therefore, ordinarily, on the same side as you), no Netflix, no open spaces, supermarkets, etc, etc, etc.

I'll leave it with one final positive thought: Just think of that first Friday night when the pubs are back open! The vibe and spirit will be unreal. Like one big street party I imagine. And the first game back at the cottage with the usual afternoon spent in related boozers. Hell, even the toilets in the Lion will seem palatial and a rare treat after this!

I wish you all a good day.

Holders

I agree with Peabody and Southdowns White.

To be honest, it's not making much difference to me except that I'm getting some jobs done that have been waiting for years and the garden looks the best it's done since the previous people left! The peace and quiet at the moment is lovely, especially in the weather we've been having.

But I really feel for people who live in flats, no garden and only the telly for company.

Keep well, all Fofers.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: ByTheRiver on April 21, 2020, 09:19:37 AM
Just a quick one to say I agree with the two points made above (F(f)CUK and Peabody).

Good job to the mods for keeping it going and allowing people to exchange views. It's a really difficult one as its not football or Fulham related so should usually have no place (such as election chat and so on) but its so all consuming and huge (those of us fortunate enough to have been born after the war have never known anything of this magnitude and impact) that its always going to resurface in discussions. And, I don't know, maybe in a weird way, talking about it, even disagreeing and seeing other viewpoints, helps in a way.

Also agree with Peabody. We are fortunate. Very fortunate when you look at the impact this has on people here with less stable finances and/or work, and certainly those who have become ill or whose family/friends/loved ones have. Even more so, perhaps, when you consider countries less well off where there is no furloughed salaries, where there is no readily available internet (for arguing with people who support the same side and are therefore, ordinarily, on the same side as you), no Netflix, no open spaces, supermarkets, etc, etc, etc.

I'll leave it with one final positive thought: Just think of that first Friday night when the pubs are back open! The vibe and spirit will be unreal. Like one big street party I imagine. And the first game back at the cottage with the usual afternoon spent in related boozers. Hell, even the toilets in the Lion will seem palatial and a rare treat after this!

You were doing alright until you mentioned the toilets in the Lion.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 21, 2020, 11:14:50 AM

:005:

The one part of the pub so desperately in need of a refurb (or a cleaning from someone in a hazmat suit) completely missed out and overlooked in the refurb. You really couldn't make it up!

In related news, The Bricklayers is in trouble. We need to do something to help there if we can. Can't let that go. I vary my boozers on match days but the brick is my favourite (based mostly on ale!).

Andy S

Some pubs won't open again after this pandemic if they do prices will be high and footfall is likely to be low let's try not to put too much of a downer on it though

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: ByTheRiver on April 21, 2020, 11:36:53 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 21, 2020, 11:14:50 AM

:005:

The one part of the pub so desperately in need of a refurb (or a cleaning from someone in a hazmat suit) completely missed out and overlooked in the refurb. You really couldn't make it up!

In related news, The Bricklayers is in trouble. We need to do something to help there if we can. Can't let that go. I vary my boozers on match days but the brick is my favourite (based mostly on ale!).

I tried personally myself to refurbish the ablutions in the Lion by throwing a stick of dynamite 🧨 through the door, but it didn't even scratch the surface.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

rebel

Covid-19 and where the world is today is a result of the Chinese wanting to 'save face'. I was aware on the 13th January that things just didn't add up. Deaths, Mystery virus, In control, Lockdown etc.

You just need to watch how Russia and China vote at the security council when thousands of lives at stake. Lives are totally immaterial to them. They're conduct isn't good on any level.

There is a lot more, but best to leave it there.     

Clebi

Quote from: Statto on April 20, 2020, 05:11:23 PM
Quote from: Clebi on April 20, 2020, 04:40:19 PM
You believe wrong. I believe it is actually important to fact check before making statements, so here are the facts as of now, re. NY State and NY City (i.e. Manhattan, Queens, the Bronx, Brooklyn and Staten Island).
NYS 18,298 dead and 248,431 cases
NYC 14,451 dead and 138,700 cases

Could you share the source for that?
The NY Times coverage of Cuomo's latest press conference here says "Deaths statewide: down for the sixth straight day, to 478, bringing the total number of deaths to 14,347."
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/20/nyregion/coronavirus-new-york-update.html

Nothing in the rest of your post appears to relate to anything I said and I'm trying to avoid political, ethical and generally opinion-based debates so I've not responded to that.
An app called News Break that breaks down US cases by State and State cases by city/county. The State figure I quoted tracks with JHU stats which are generally considered the best source.
Anyway, my friend passed away yesterday, on day 22 in hospital, despite not having even needed a ventilator until the last two days. I will recuse myself from the forum now and thus neither comment or read anything else on this topic. I just leave you all with a final message; that those of you who believe this only really affects the weak and elderly and that we can reduce this to a mortality percentage risk calculation that we can weigh against the health of the economy... at your peril! How nasty this virus is only hits home when it comes close enough to you. Suddenly you do not feel so safe anymore.
Stay safe there, and hope we can return our focus to the Whites in the fall!

filham

Yes. I live in a block of 12 very nice modern flats and a lady here of about  50 years of age has just been diagnosed with Coronavirus. Makes you think more seriously when it gets that close. Afraid thoughts of the ecomamy and football have to be put on the back burner for a good while yet.

davew

The stat´s in Cornwall are better than most parts of the UK and yet the family next door to me (6 people) and the family across the road (2 pensioners...like me) have both had the Covid symptons, on that basis it is far more wide spread than we know, shame as testing would have revealed more! Got to keep a lid on what I think about the whole situation, otherwise I might get in trouble on here! My views are changing by the day, not for the better!! Scrap the daily Government briefings, total waste of time, so we make the best of what we can do during the day, enjoy the weather even though confined to being home and then have to listen to the same rubbish, night after night and then become more depressed. Hurry back Boris, I am sure you will cheer us all up.
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Twig

Quote from: davew on April 21, 2020, 06:53:48 PM
The stat´s in Cornwall are better than most parts of the UK and yet the family next door to me (6 people) and the family across the road (2 pensioners...like me) have both had the Covid symptons, on that basis it is far more wide spread than we know, shame as testing would have revealed more! Got to keep a lid on what I think about the whole situation, otherwise I might get in trouble on here! My views are changing by the day, not for the better!! Scrap the daily Government briefings, total waste of time, so we make the best of what we can do during the day, enjoy the weather even though confined to being home and then have to listen to the same rubbish, night after night and then become more depressed. Hurry back Boris, I am sure you will cheer us all up.

I think the daily briefings made sense at the early stages but unnecessary now, I agree.  Plus they feed the media which I don't regard as terribly productive.

Holders

Do you find, Dave, that there is a degree of complacency and denial in the SW? We see the graph daily that shows us at the bottom of the chart and London at the top but it's not adjusted for population which would show us higher. One wonders where those people near you might have got it over the past four weeks if they're only going out for shopping.

People who go into the village shop where my partner works are in and out several times a day for booze and fags and things as trivial as lottery tickets and scratchcards, It beggars belief. 

Keep safe.

john dempsey

Try to avoid news as much as possible, and as for the daily briefings gave up on those ages ago
they just remind me of the daily briefings by John Nott (I think that's his name) during the
Falklands war he would talk for ages without saying anything Blah Blah Blah......

Statto

I'm mildly intrigued as to how they'll attempt to justify that headline...
But it's guaranteed to be claptrap 
So I reckon we're better off not having an account

davew

Quote from: Holders on April 21, 2020, 07:39:20 PM

Do you find, Dave, that there is a degree of complacency and denial in the SW? We see the graph daily that shows us at the bottom of the chart and London at the top but it's not adjusted for population which would show us higher. One wonders where those people near you might have got it over the past four weeks if they're only going out for shopping.

People who go into the village shop where my partner works are in and out several times a day for booze and fags and things as trivial as lottery tickets and scratchcards, It beggars belief. 

Keep safe.
It is possible that part of the spread in Cornwall is likely to have been caused by people travelling down here to stay in their 2nd homes, agree that there should be statistics available to report on cases/deaths per regional population. Not sure about complacency, stupidity maybe?
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

rebel

The virus started in China (Wuhan), spread to Italy (possibly students who studied in China or possibly through Chinese backed infra-structure projects) and Iran (possibly through Chinese backed infra-structure projects).

Those two countries were hit very early with Covid-19. Chinese has a infra-structure projects scheme (it's a dubious scheme, where projects could easily fall back into the hands of the Chinese, if payments aren't made).

Two countries who signed up to the scheme are Italy (only European country to do so) and Iran.     

Southcoastffc

"agree that there should be statistics available to report on cases/deaths per regional population"  Doesn't this give you that?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Holders

Quote from: davew on April 22, 2020, 07:45:56 AM
Quote from: Holders on April 21, 2020, 07:39:20 PM

Keep safe.
It is possible that part of the spread in Cornwall is likely to have been caused by people travelling down here to stay in their 2nd homes, agree that there should be statistics available to report on cases/deaths per regional population. Not sure about complacency, stupidity maybe?

Indeed, though that does seem to have been reduced, here in Devon at least. But do you think that's where your neighbours might have got it? As to the other, I put it down to population" density", all part of the same general attitude.

filham

Quote from: Southcoastffc on April 22, 2020, 09:32:58 AM
"agree that there should be statistics available to report on cases/deaths per regional population"  Doesn't this give you that?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274
Thank you for that , much better information than we get on TV at 5pmm.
Those charts on TV are irritating, the printed word is so small that I have to get my nose on the screen to read it.