more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Coronavirus Thread / New / Old / Merged

Started by I Ronic, March 01, 2020, 11:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mince n Tatties

Woolly Mammoth

I have some very encouraging news, my pet Grizzly Bears diarrhoea problems are getting better, although he is not out of the woods yet.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

MikeTheCubed

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on April 25, 2020, 09:45:50 PM
Love Donald he's ace.
I for one hope that he goes on to Finish a 2nd term. But I do recognise there are many who'm it would bring great Comfort if he were to Vanish in a Flash.

Statto

Quote from: davew on April 25, 2020, 09:39:13 PM
Your days are numbered as being the most incompetent President of the USA

FWIW the area of US policy that I perceive to affect me most is its response to climate change, and on that subject, my personal views and wishes seem to be the complete opposite of Trump's, and for that reason I'd love to see a different president over there in November.
But it won't happen, because he's not "incompetent" at all. On almost any reasonable metric (besides climate policy) he's done a decent job for them. 

Woolly Mammoth

Donald Trump will more than likely serve a second term, as he has done more for the American people in 4 years what Obama did in 8 years.

Never forget your Roots.

Ged

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 25, 2020, 10:24:51 PM
Donald Trump will more than likely serve a second term, as he has done more for the American people in 4 years what Obama did in 8 years.
😂😂😂😂😂😂

PaulUMD

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 25, 2020, 10:24:51 PM

I'm sorry...what?  He has certainly done more things than Obama...more immigrant children in cages, separated from their parents and family, more tax cuts for the rich, a much higher budget deficit (long before emergency measures due to COVID-19), more love letters and calls with dictators from Kim Jong Un to his best buddy Vlad, more business deals for his company and his kids as bribes for Trump's attention and gratitude, etc. 

He's a garbage human being, a sociopath without empathy or care for anyone but himself, a narcissist obsessed with his own vanity, a grown man with the attention span and intellectual curiosity of a toddler, and a giant idiot who has succeeded on the backs of others for his entire life.  For months he reminded us every day at those press conferences, and his approval rating has suffered appropriately.  He'll always have his 40ish% of Republicans who feast on his brand of white, Christian grievance politics and they will stick with him until the end.  But luckily, as things stand, it appears the end will be in November and not in 2024.  His predictably incompetent response to the pandemic has likely sealed his fate, though crazier things have happened.

Neil D

Quote from: PaulUMD on April 26, 2020, 02:41:12 AM

He's a garbage human being, a sociopath without empathy or care for anyone but himself, a narcissist obsessed with his own vanity, a grown man with the attention span and intellectual curiosity of a toddler, and a giant idiot who has succeeded on the backs of others for his entire life.

Accurate assessment of the Orange One.  But nothing that a good infusion of disinfectant wouldn't put right...

filham

Quote from: Statto on April 25, 2020, 10:15:07 PM
Quote from: davew on April 25, 2020, 09:39:13 PM
Your days are numbered as being the most incompetent President of the USA

FWIW the area of US policy that I perceive to affect me most is its response to climate change, and on that subject, my personal views and wishes seem to be the complete opposite of Trump's, and for that reason I'd love to see a different president over there in November.
But it won't happen, because he's not "incompetent" at all. On almost any reasonable metric (besides climate policy) he's done a decent job for them. 
Gun Laws ?
Health Services ?
Dieting ?
Must be careful we are getting political, but it is difficult not to respond.

Andy S

I don't like the man but I will not get involved with American politics. I do think it shows what Americans are in general that they elected him in the first place

HobGoblin

Quote from: Andy S on April 26, 2020, 07:45:06 PM
I don't like the man but I will not get involved with American politics. I do think it shows what Americans are in general that they elected him in the first place

This, Well said Andy

BarryP

Quote from: HobGoblin on April 26, 2020, 07:51:04 PM

This, Well said Andy

In general this is hogwash since the man got fewer total votes than his opponent.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Woolly Mammoth

Come to think of it, Kim Jong-Un The only fat person living in that well known Globalist country North Korea never got a single vote, unless you include his sister, his skin & blister, just saying.

Never forget your Roots.

MikeTheCubed

Quote from: BarryP on April 27, 2020, 02:48:03 PM

This, Well said Andy

In general this is hogwash since the man got fewer total votes than his opponent.

One problem with this argument is that the rules of the contest were known to the contestants beforehand. Had the presidency been determined by the popular vote instead then the contestants would have focused their campaigning differently, and it is not a safe assumption that it would have produced the exact same result.

Southcoastffc

This, Well said Andy

But a choice between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton is not a great offering.  Friends of ours in the States were horrified at being in that situation, they couldn't bring themselves to vote for DT for a number of reasons but at the same time said that they couldn't 'reinforce the status quo of a self-serving establishment continuing to  p*** their taxes up the wall.'   The wonder of the US electoral system is that the electorate ended up with such desperately abysmal candidates.   
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Statto

Quote from: Statto on April 20, 2020, 02:27:09 AM
Quote from: Clebi on April 20, 2020, 01:22:02 AM
You say 0.37%. Of those infected or the total population? New York City has 8.77 million inhabitants and as of now 14,286 dead. That is 0.16% of the total population and we are only at the crest of the epidemic. Much more to come. So seems we are NOT talking about 0.37% of those infected that will die.

I believe the death toll you've quoted is for New York state (not only the city) which has a population of 20m. A 0.37% mortality rate among those infected and 14k deaths would imply that  around 4m people, or 1 in 5 people in the state, have now been infected. I think that quite conceivable. FWIW I believe New York is by some distance the worst affected region in the developed world, proportionately.

In response to the last part of your post and some other posts above, I've not made any political or ethical points (although FWIW I think Plodder makes some good points) or disputed that people should be fearful. But a lot of the most extreme fearmongering is disconnected from the facts and numbers, (and often a little politically-motivated) and I don't see how that sort of talk can do anything positive.

And there you have it - antibodies testing indicating 1 in 4 in NYC may have already been infected with coronavirus, which would imply a similarly low mortality rate to the German testing...

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/cuomo-outlines-reopening-roadmap-for-new-york-as-daily-deaths-hit-lowest-level-in-weeks/2390949/

rebel

Quote from: Southcoastffc on April 27, 2020, 03:22:28 PM

This, Well said Andy

But a choice between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton is not a great offering.  Friends of ours in the States were horrified at being in that situation, they couldn't bring themselves to vote for DT for a number of reasons but at the same time said that they couldn't 'reinforce the status quo of a self-serving establishment continuing to  p*** their taxes up the wall.'   The wonder of the US electoral system is that the electorate ended up with such desperately abysmal candidates.   

He wins the 'corruption stakes', hands down; what it does prove is that 'spin and waffle' can get you a long way. The only reason why he's got anywhere in life is, in the US suing people is easy as throwing 'confetti', he has been involved in over 3,500 law suits. There is a ton of other stuff.

More importantly how to you get from the colour 'orange' to the colour 'peach', I would say in stages.   

rebel

Quote from: Statto on April 27, 2020, 11:24:54 PM
Quote from: Statto on April 20, 2020, 02:27:09 AM
Quote from: Clebi on April 20, 2020, 01:22:02 AM
You say 0.37%. Of those infected or the total population? New York City has 8.77 million inhabitants and as of now 14,286 dead. That is 0.16% of the total population and we are only at the crest of the epidemic. Much more to come. So seems we are NOT talking about 0.37% of those infected that will die.

I believe the death toll you've quoted is for New York state (not only the city) which has a population of 20m. A 0.37% mortality rate among those infected and 14k deaths would imply that  around 4m people, or 1 in 5 people in the state, have now been infected. I think that quite conceivable. FWIW I believe New York is by some distance the worst affected region in the developed world, proportionately.

In response to the last part of your post and some other posts above, I've not made any political or ethical points (although FWIW I think Plodder makes some good points) or disputed that people should be fearful. But a lot of the most extreme fearmongering is disconnected from the facts and numbers, (and often a little politically-motivated) and I don't see how that sort of talk can do anything positive.

And there you have it - antibodies testing indicating 1 in 4 in NYC may have already been infected with coronavirus, which would imply a similarly low mortality rate to the German testing...

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/cuomo-outlines-reopening-roadmap-for-new-york-as-daily-deaths-hit-lowest-level-in-weeks/2390949/

Germany has 'efficiency and infrastructure' regards it's 'testing' abilities. In some ways it was prepared for it. 

Jem

I can't help but smile when I think of the BBC and fact checking. Here is a video showing how they edited the video of Trump's briefing. Things are not always quite what they seem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFXdWWiF0oU
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
― Groucho Marx

rebel

Quote from: Jem on April 28, 2020, 09:26:22 AM
I can't help but smile when I think of the BBC and fact checking. Here is a video showing how they edited the video of Trump's briefing. Things are not always quite what they seem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFXdWWiF0oU

The substance of what he said is the man thing; he can't stop himself, he's president now; he should let the grown up's do the thinking; he actually reminds me of a 'five' year old, but still 'throwing his toys out of a pram'.