News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Seri or Anguissa: Who would you rather have in the Prem?

Started by AnOldBrownie, August 08, 2020, 05:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Between the two players, which would you rather have on our squad this season?

Andre Frank Zambo Anguissa
102 (72.9%)
Jean Michael Seri
2 (1.4%)
Both
13 (9.3%)
Neither
23 (16.4%)

Total Members Voted: 140

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on August 14, 2020, 09:59:25 PM
Quote from: AnOldBrownie on August 14, 2020, 08:56:51 PM
Injuries happen.

I'm of the opinion that if any of our starting midfielders get hurt...miss a few games....or 10 games... I don't want Seri as an option to get those starts.  At all.    I'd much rather have Arter (who I don't EPL rate) or even ...god forbid...KMac.    Hell, I'd sign banged up Chambers and hope we don't need within our first 10 games.

Seri does not get in my starting 5 midfielders.

Onomah
Reed
Cairney
Zambo
BDR
(anyone but Seri)

But that's just me.

Question.   Whose our U18 holding midfielder?   Put him on our bench.

I'm sorry but Seri is better than BDR, no way he isn't and in my opinion he's as good as Cairney. I know I'm in the minority though.

Different types of midfielders, and I know BDR crushes Seri for work rate and finishing.   Again though... different types of midfielders.

Asotosyios

I don't think Serri is as bad as people make him to be, but can't see him fitting in our current system. I would look to loan him out again with an option to buy, if the money offered (if any) for a permanent transfer is not to our liking.

On the other hand, I would keep Anguissa and use a midfield three of Reed, Anguissa and either Cairney or Onomah. I wouldn't buy Arter, but would go fot Ndiaye from Stoke - a loan with an option to buy should do the trick and he would compete with Reed for the DM role.

Reed; Anguissa; Cairney - Ndiaye; Johansen; Onomah - McDonald as a backup when needed.

hongkongfulham

There were moments at the start of the season with Seri where I really thought we were on to something special. Some great touches and little moments that make you think he was a level above the other players on the pitch. But when the going got tough and the atmosphere soured it just all went down hill fast. Having listened to the players, the vibe was awful and it obviously affected the guy to the point where he didnt want to be here.

With that said, and Scott or Tony alluded to this being the case I believe, we should be open to giving him another chance if he is open to being part of the group and contributing. If they ascertain that this is not to be the case then we go our separate ways, or to use him appropriately to raise his value.

Its clear that TK sees Anguissa as a big asset so I am pretty confident he will be playing a sizable role this year.

I'd love to see us all let bygones be bygones, focus on the task at hand with our full support, and not get on the boys too early this season! We will probably only be winning 25 - 30 % of our games this year if we are to stay up so we best not start having a go to early me thinks.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Statto on August 08, 2020, 07:50:26 PM
Amazed at some of the attitude comments. I can't recall either of them ever saying anything remotely indicative of a bad attitude.

I am to understand in the case of attitude with these two players is orchestrated by their body language and visual disinterest in what is happening on the field of play whilst they loaf around looking as though they wish they were somewhere else, it is a visual observation.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

john dempsey

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 15, 2020, 11:44:58 AM
Amazed at some of the attitude comments. I can't recall either of them ever saying anything remotely indicative of a bad attitude.

I am to understand in the case of attitude with these two players is orchestrated by their body language and visual disinterest in what is happening on the field of play whilst they loaf around looking as though they wish they were somewhere else, it is a visual observation.
I think during that season the sentiments you have expressed here
apply equally to anybody who attended matches..

bobby01

Quote from: john dempsey on August 15, 2020, 12:11:58 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 15, 2020, 11:44:58 AM

I think during that season the sentiments you have expressed here
apply equally to anybody who attended matches..

Most certainly at times Cairney displayed that attitude as well. Seri seemed to go downhill when the story about his and mlm valuations broke.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

RaySmith

Seri looked enthusiastic  during our brilliant victory, with a  great second half performance,  home to Brighton in the Prem.

He seemed to combine well with Cairney in midfield, and when i shouted   support to him from the front of the hammy End, when he went to take a corner, he  touched the badge.
But that  was one of the few times i  actually got to the Cottage, and the rest of the time he mostly seemed to struggle - easily knocked off the ball,  mistiming tackles, slow in thought and action on the ball.
But was he  struggling to get up to Prem pace? and also  with the general morale  and decline in confidence of the  whiole team , which had started the season so promisingly

I'm influenced by the  not usually publicly outspoken Ream's comments about some  of the  players in the team not having the right attitude, though.
Something seems to have been wrong around the team - a team where some  players important to our promotion were sent on loan, or on the bench, with  a lot of newcomers on presumably on high wages put straight into the side.

spoonffc

We gave josh a chance let's give seri another one, he is a good player his stats don't lie- he's obviously temperamental and that was a love up season maybe he'll be better now with a better energy

RaySmith

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Twig on August 14, 2020, 10:14:34 PM
Injuries happen.

I'm of the opinion that if any of our starting midfielders get hurt...miss a few games....or 10 games... I don't want Seri as an option to get those starts.  At all.    I'd much rather have Arter (who I don't EPL rate) or even ...god forbid...KMac.    Hell, I'd sign banged up Chambers and hope we don't need within our first 10 games.

Onomah
Reed
Cairney
Zambo
BDR
(anyone but Seri)

But that's just me.

I'm sorry but Seri is better than BDR, no way he isn't and in my opinion he's as good as Cairney. I know I'm in the minority though.

Well he wasn't better for us and he has just finished another poor season so again hasn't shown this alleged ability.

On what basis was his season poor? His rating was higher than Reid and he played in the Champions League. I like Reid but I like Seri too.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: spoonffc on August 15, 2020, 01:53:39 PM
We gave josh a chance let's give seri another one, he is a good player his stats don't lie- he's obviously temperamental and that was a fcuk up season maybe he'll be better now with a better energy

Agree. I don't really understand the negativity towards him when people seem willing to cut the other poor PL performers slack.

Penfold

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on August 15, 2020, 02:31:11 PM
Quote from: spoonffc on August 15, 2020, 01:53:39 PM
We gave josh a chance let's give seri another one, he is a good player his stats don't lie- he's obviously temperamental and that was a fcuk up season maybe he'll be better now with a better energy

Agree. I don't really understand the negativity towards him when people seem willing to cut the other poor PL performers slack.

The negativity is probably because his performances nose dived when the story about the transfer fee and his apparently reduced cut of it surfaced.

Stories that he was a bad influence in the dressing room also surfaced. Whether there's any truth in this I don't know.

I'd rather we move him on to be honest.

Twig

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on August 15, 2020, 02:30:12 PM
Quote from: Twig on August 14, 2020, 10:14:34 PM
Injuries happen.

Onomah
Reed
Cairney
Zambo
BDR
(anyone but Seri)

But that's just me.

Well he wasn't better for us and he has just finished another poor season so again hasn't shown this alleged ability.

On what basis was his season poor? His rating was higher than Reid and he played in the Champions League. I like Reid but I like Seri too.

Of course he played in the Champions League he's at Galatasary who finished top of a relatively weak league for two years running. I don't see what your point is?
Interestingly with Seri involved they have finished down in 6th. Not saying that's just down to him but he's part of a squad that has performed poorly this year.

The Rational Fan

No doubt, Seri's statistics in the premier league weren't great, and neither were his performances worth of a starting spot in the premier league, but we only have eight outfield players in the squad that did better than him in the premier league and that's what we need even for the bench. In addition, some of those who were better than Seri like Christie and MLM still weren't good enough to be a premier league starter.

Christie, MLM, Bryan, Anguissa, Cairney, Mitro, Knockaert at Brighton, and Mawson at Swansea are the only eight outfield players currently in the squad that have better stats in the premier league than Seri. I think the statistics are correct that Mawson, Ream, KMac, Stefjo, Cav, Kamara, and Reid all did worse in the PL than Seri in 18/19.

We have added Hector and Onamah to the squad, which should be better than Seri but are unproven in the premier league. This means Fulham has 10 outfield players better than Seri, but we need to add at least another 5 to 8 outfield players over the next 18 months before we don't need Seri in the squad and I'd like 20 outfield players better than him.

Statto

Quote from: Penfold on August 15, 2020, 02:55:23 PM
Stories that he was a bad influence in the dressing room also surfaced. Whether there's any truth in this I don't know.

Do you have a link to these stories?
The only thing along those lines I can recall seeing was Ream's comments, which RaySmith mentions above. However, they didn't refer specifically to Seri, and given we'd signed 11 new players, it seems harsh (and to be frank, a bit xenophobic) to assume he was one of the people Ream was talking about. And also they come with the caveat that Ream was about as strong as soggy newspaper going into most challenges that season, so was in no position to question anyone else in the team.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Statto on August 17, 2020, 11:00:12 AM

The only thing along those lines I can recall seeing was Ream's comments, which RaySmith mentions above. However, they didn't refer specifically to Seri, and given we'd signed 11 new players, it seems harsh (and to be frank, a bit xenophobic) to assume he was one of the people Ream was talking about. And also they come with the caveat that Ream was about as strong as soggy newspaper going into most challenges that season, so was in no position to question anyone else in the team.

:plus one:

I think most of those stories were invented on here, or on other fan sites. Seri and Anguissa were probably the most popular scape goats because of their high cost and lack of previous positive impressions, and so when Ream (seemingly trying to deflect from his own poor performances) made those comments it was easy for people to immediately look in their direction. There may of course be truth behind it, but I can't remember ever seeing anything even resembling a hint of evidence. I don't see everything of course, so may have also missed it.

filham

I thought Seri was a nice footballer but that relegation season proved that there just wasn't space in the team for him and Cairney. No doubt right now that Cairney has earnt a season in the Premier league and as our captain, seems Seri has to go.

Also I would much prefer to have Reed in our starting line up than Anguissa and therefore thought that he too had to go. However there now seems to be some hang up about signing Reed and if he cannot be here for the start of the season it may be wise to grab hold of Anguissa to see if he is up to the task.

Sting of the North

Quote from: filham on August 17, 2020, 11:26:31 AM
I thought Seri was a nice footballer but that relegation season proved that there just wasn't space in the team for him and Cairney. No doubt right now that Cairney has earnt a season in the Premier league and as our captain, seems Seri has to go.

Also I would much prefer to have Reed in our starting line up than Anguissa and therefore thought that he too had to go. However there now seems to be some hang up about signing Reed and if he cannot be here for the start of the season it may be wise to grab hold of Anguissa to see if he is up to the task.

Is there anything in particular that makes you think there is a hang up, other than the perfectly normal negotiations that takes place between club and player and that might have to factor in that Reed has been on vacation for two weeks?

Penfold

Quote from: Statto on August 17, 2020, 11:00:12 AM

A lot circulated after the Ream stuff.

I was told by somebody who attended a lot of academy games. Maybe someone with an agenda, as I said who knows if it's actually true.

For me, the total drop in performance after stories about the transfer fee and his cut broke is the reason I wouldn't have him back. Maybe not connected but seems odd.

Carborundum

Voted for Anguissa and not Seri.  In the second half of his season with us it was clear that Seri was being targeted as someone who could be knocked off the ball by a tenacious midfielder in a way that referees here allow, but might be a free kick elsewhere.  It's doubtful he will have improved that element of his game in the past year.  So he just seems unsuited to our league and it would be better for all concerned if we move on.  In contrast I didn't see anyone taking liberties with Anguissa and suspect they would have regretted it.  I'd still be concerned that the pressing game will be a shock to the system - it's not how Spanish teams tend to play - but he's a quality footballer and I'd be happy to see him back.