more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Vaccine

Started by Dodgin, December 14, 2020, 10:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holders

Quote from: mrmicawbers on January 13, 2021, 04:05:39 PM
I see they are trialling the Vaccine Passport to be shown when entering various establishments going forward apparently.Good thing in my opinion may help people sitting on the fence that having a jab is in their interest.I have had covid but feel it is my civic duty to take the vaccine and would advise everyone to do so when they are asked.The only way out of this horrible situation in my opinion and it cant come quick enough.

Contrasting information on this: today minister Zahawi denied that there were plans for it, yet it went out to tender a couple of weeks ago.

I've no axe to grind here, can see arguments either way, but something doesn't add up.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

MikeTheCubed

Quote from: Holders on January 13, 2021, 04:38:57 PM
I see they are trialling the Vaccine Passport to be shown when entering various establishments going forward apparently.Good thing in my opinion may help people sitting on the fence that having a jab is in their interest.I have had covid but feel it is my civic duty to take the vaccine and would advise everyone to do so when they are asked.The only way out of this horrible situation in my opinion and it cant come quick enough.

Contrasting information on this: today minister Zahawi denied that there were plans for it, yet it went out to tender a couple of weeks ago.

I've no axe to grind here, can see arguments either way, but something doesn't add up.

It hasn't been taken off the table. The language has always been on the lines of "there are currently no plans for it".

I don't currently have any plans to go to the pub. But as soon as they re-open I'll definitely go there.

Holders

Quote from: Statto on January 13, 2021, 04:15:48 PM
Quote from: filham on January 13, 2021, 11:47:53 AM
I am in my eighties and have had several letters and emails warning me to stay at home and shield as I am defined as clinically at risk. My wife is also in her eighties but 3 years younger than me and has had no shielding warnings.

As yet I have received no vaccine offer but my younger wife has been given options of a vaccine at Central London, Guildford, Bristol or Birmingham. The nearest to our home in Shepperton is Guildford , a round trip of some 30 miles.
Oh, we are warned that there are no toilets at Guildford so if we may need a pee we had best select one of the other sites.
Meanwhile we read in the media that we are not to travel far from home.

If you go on Twitter the usual mob who've had an axe to grind with this government since June 2016 are now turning their attention to the fact the vaccine isn't being administered 24/7 ad claiming their 94-year-old grandmothers would gladly make their way to a vaccine venue at 3am if necessary. Then on here, complaints about the venue being 15 miles away and not having toilets. Just goes to show the govt cannot win.

Johnson said today that they're aiming for 24-hour rollout "as soon as possible". Good, they've responded to pressure there having previously said that there was "no
clamour" for it. As to travelling directly to and from a vaccination centre, that must unquestionably be a valid reason for travel. As to loos, many people would surely happily wet themselves to get a jab. Who's going to see at that time of night?

Holders

Quote from: MikeTheCubed on January 13, 2021, 04:45:27 PM
Quote from: Holders on January 13, 2021, 04:38:57 PM

It hasn't been taken off the table. The language has always been on the lines of "there are currently no plans for it".

I don't currently have any plans to go to the pub. But as soon as they re-open I'll definitely go there.

If you noted down the actual words that he used this morning, well and good. I'm not going to trawl through i-player over semantics.

toshes mate

Just a little bit more insight about how we may be close to achieving sterilizing immunity via vaccines and herd immunity via natural infection and that is why we are seeing the current fall in all the significant areas of SARS-CoV-2.    The main speaker - Paul Offit (top centre in the screen) – gives his opinion about where we are currently around the 35 to 40 minutes mark of the two hour video.   He also notes his belief that the variants of concern (e.g. South African variant) may also be sufficiently dealt with by vaccinated people and those who have already been infected with the virus before. 

There is quite a lot before this relating to the whys and wherefores of vaccination.

It's an altogether more nuanced and optimistic view than most outlets are currently giving us and all these guys are 'experts'. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54WDQYvvcCs

Twig

Quote from: Statto on January 13, 2021, 04:15:48 PM
Quote from: filham on January 13, 2021, 11:47:53 AM
I am in my eighties and have had several letters and emails warning me to stay at home and shield as I am defined as clinically at risk. My wife is also in her eighties but 3 years younger than me and has had no shielding warnings.

As yet I have received no vaccine offer but my younger wife has been given options of a vaccine at Central London, Guildford, Bristol or Birmingham. The nearest to our home in Shepperton is Guildford , a round trip of some 30 miles.
Oh, we are warned that there are no toilets at Guildford so if we may need a pee we had best select one of the other sites.
Meanwhile we read in the media that we are not to travel far from home.

If you go on Twitter the usual mob who've had an axe to grind with this government since June 2016 are now turning their attention to the fact the vaccine isn't being administered 24/7 ad claiming their 94-year-old grandmothers would gladly make their way to a vaccine venue at 3am if necessary. Then on here, complaints about the venue being 15 miles away and not having toilets. Just goes to show the govt cannot win.

Why do you use inflammatory language to describe people who disagree with the current government? I am sometimes in that camp but am definitely not part of a "mob".
You take every opportunity to have a pop at Sadie Khan (which you have every right to do) does that make you part of a Khan hating mob?

davew

Had my jab on Saturday, headache most of Sunday morning and violently sick (1st time in about 15 years) 10pm Sunday night, was it due to side effects of the vaccine or the excitement of seeing Fulham win which was a real tonic? It wasn't due to drinking!!!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Holders

Quote from: davew on February 16, 2021, 04:42:34 PM
Had my jab on Saturday, headache most of Sunday morning and violently sick (1st time in about 15 years) 10pm Sunday night, was it due to side effects of the vaccine or the excitement of seeing Fulham win which was a real tonic? It wasn't due to drinking!!!!

Dave, it's probably the effects of drinking after a Fulham win but anno domini means that you've forgotten about that.

I've got mine scheduled for Saturday late pm. If we win again I won't care how sick I am.

davew

Quote from: Holders on February 16, 2021, 04:48:24 PM
Quote from: davew on February 16, 2021, 04:42:34 PM

Dave, it's probably the effects of drinking after a Fulham win but anno domini means that you've forgotten about that.

I've got mine scheduled for Saturday late pm. If we win again I won't care how sick I am.
Good luck with your jab, could be 2 more wins before then!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

filham

Quote from: flyingfish on December 14, 2020, 10:12:59 AM
Interesting. I was an outpatient at St Georges last week and I walked past a vaccine clinic set up.

Do you mind if I ask - are you n a group identified as 'vulnerable'? Just wondering how this is all working as my in-laws in their 90s (but not out patients anywhere or in a care home) haven;t heard anything yet.
All over 90's should have heard some time ago and have been advised to contact their medical centre if they haven't, something has gone wrong.

HV71

Something has gone very wrong - can you contact their doctor or local health centre ? Unless they have medical conditions which mean they shouldn't have the vaccine they should have it

Andy S

My vaccine Astra Zeneca was given to me last Friday and there have been no after affects. That was the first jab.  I've seen on the tv that the French are suggesting that if like me you have already had COVID -19 you may not need a second dose. Let's wait and see. Several other friends are also fine following their jab but my twin brother was mildly ill for 24 hours

bill taylors apprentice

I am 65 and had my first pfizer jab last Thursday.

This was arranged through my GP but last Friday I recieved a letter from the NHS inviting me to also make an appointment for my first jab.

It did say further down the letter that if I had already made an appointment or had the jab arranged through my GP to ignore this letter.

I am fit, no medical issues and no medication but I assume that living in Lincoln, a sparsely populated part of the country they got the 70 plus done ahead of schedule and moved on to the next group i.e. me.

I would also say that since moving from the south 6 years ago, places like Lincoln may not benefit from the resources of the big cities but things tend to get done more efficiently here and people can be relied on.

gang

Hi Bill, what part of Lincoln do you live in? When the pubs open we should meet to celebrate, we may even know each other already. Stranger things happen.

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: gang on February 17, 2021, 09:50:38 AM
Hi Bill, what part of Lincoln do you live in? When the pubs open we should meet to celebrate, we may even know each other already. Stranger things happen.

I'm on Burton Road going out of town on the RH side.
Past the barracks but before Queen E road.

Happy to meet up when safe to do so for a pint.

Kemosabe

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on February 16, 2021, 11:27:51 PM
I assume that living in Lincoln, a sparsely populated part of the country they got the 70 plus done ahead of schedule and moved on to the next group i.e. me.

I would also say that since moving from the south 6 years ago, places like Lincoln may not benefit from the resources of the big cities but things tend to get done more efficiently here and people can be relied on.

I have in-laws in Suffolk (just outside Ipswich) and I understand that they have made very good progress on vaccinations.  My mother-in-law had her first jab in mid-December (and so managed to get her second after three weeks, before they changed the protocol).  My brother and sister-in-law (both in the 55-59 group) have also had their first dose this week.

Hoping that they get round to us here in London.  The Scout Hut in Putney (our local centre) is just up the road from me and I regularly see people queueing for vaccinations.

toshes mate

Several sources of research suggest obesity has a major effect on infection rates by respiratory viruses.  Countries where populations are normally well within BMI (Body Mass Index) optimums of less than 30 and greater than 15 (for adults) seem to be healthier and less likely to be infected. 

Looks like there may be diet incentives coming from the government sometime soon and whilst not replacing vaccination could be a much healthier way to herd immunity in the future. 

Logicalman

Quote from: Andy S on February 16, 2021, 10:31:45 PM
My vaccine Astra Zeneca was given to me last Friday and there have been no after affects. That was the first jab.  I've seen on the tv that the French are suggesting that if like me you have already had COVID -19 you may not need a second dose. Let's wait and see. Several other friends are also fine following their jab but my twin brother was mildly ill for 24 hours

Got my first yesterday, Pfizer, at the local grocery store pharmacy. No real side-effects, other than injection site tenderness and a slight aching (feels like bruising) at the top of the arm injected. The only thing that made me feel sick was watching the cheating spuds play us afterwards!

Second one in three weeks' time.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Statto

Quote from: toshes mate on March 05, 2021, 09:17:23 AM
Several sources of research suggest obesity has a major effect on infection rates by respiratory viruses.  Countries where populations are normally well within BMI (Body Mass Index) optimums of less than 30 and greater than 15 (for adults) seem to be healthier and less likely to be infected. 

Looks like there may be diet incentives coming from the government sometime soon and whilst not replacing vaccination could be a much healthier way to herd immunity in the future. 

That was pretty obvious from day 1 surely

keithh

Quote from: Statto on March 05, 2021, 03:15:40 PM
Quote from: toshes mate on March 05, 2021, 09:17:23 AM

That was pretty obvious from day 1 surely

Fat chance