watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

we are now further from safety than we was

Started by fulhamben, January 16, 2021, 07:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Mammoth

We were 17 mins away from a glorious draw. If only Cav had finished off that wonderful counter attack of one touch passing movements, and Scott Parker had no idea that Robinson was going to put himself in a position whereupon he would get himself sent off with over half a game to go.
Yes of course a lot of it goes down to game management, however after the dismissal of Robinson Scott knew that it was paramount we kept our shape and balance which we did most of the time to avoid being over run especially in the first 15 minutes, and then play the system in ten minute spells and it nearly paid off.
So no complaints from me, the quality is there, we just need the goals to join the quality.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

fulhamben

Quote from: Statto on January 16, 2021, 08:52:22 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on January 16, 2021, 08:47:28 PM
Quote from: Statto on January 16, 2021, 08:45:37 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on January 16, 2021, 08:43:58 PM
we are where we are because we cant score goals or win games.

we are where we are because we started the season without a decent centre back
well thats not true is it, because it wasnt that long ago that we were above burnley and brighton. they have kicked on where as we havent.
When were we ever above Brighton?
And when were we above Burnley without them having a game in hand?

yes fair point, i made a mistake there. we havent been above brighton but they have opened up a gap. granted we have two games in hand, but our form doesnt suggest we will be making much of a dent into it. and yes we were only 2 points in front of burnley and they had one game in hand, and they have now stretched it to four.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

NewYorkYank

The current team reminds me of 2007, when Roy took over.  Initially, the performances were better than the  results.  Fulham is unrecognizable from the squad that started the year.  Parker deserves the credit.  The results will come.

FFC In Oz

I don't understand how people say "Oh we have 2 games in hand on Brighton, win those and we'll be sweet"

We've won 2 games all season, where are we magically going to find this formula to start winning games?

A new striker and winger would help.  But without a recognised goalscorer and a recognised set piece taker, where are the goals coming from?  I'll give you a clue, there won't be anywhere near enough

jayffc

Quote from: FFC1987 on January 16, 2021, 07:41:15 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on January 16, 2021, 07:39:01 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on January 16, 2021, 07:37:22 PM
Quote from: Deeping_white on January 16, 2021, 07:35:38 PM
We've also got two games in hand? Not sure how you can blame Parker for anything today but then you hate him so I'm so you'll try
we have played the same amount of games as 17th place burnley who are 4 points ahead of us.

So four points with more than half the season left to play equals us being cut adrift. Interesting.

Having won 2 from 17. Its becoming quite a tall ask, don't you think?

No I think weve been improving alot of late and in my opinion are very likely to perform better in the 2nd part of the season than the first by some margin. Add a good striker and winger to the mix and will feel much more confident though and I'd suspect from the noises being made that well do some business there at the latest with 18 left to play

hovewhite

Our predictement to get out of is a tall ask most definently hence the Brighton, West brom games could define the remainder of this season.

FFC1987

Quote from: hovewhite on January 17, 2021, 09:27:51 AM
Our predictement to get out of is a tall ask most definently hence the Brighton, West brom games could define the remainder of this season.

I'm inclined to agree. If we aren't winning these games, we don't deserve to be in the league. It's one thing to be hard to ebat, its another to win games against bottom 10 clubs. Something we've got a poor record for already.

bahay18

if we had this team for day1 i doubt we would be in the bottom 3 .

as regards to the comparison to last time , we never came close to matching the top sides and were roundly thumped on a number of occasions .

after 17 games last season , southampton were third bottom on 15pts . after 38 games they were 11th on 52 . 

long way to go

jayffc

Could...but its not a foregone conclusion by a long stretch.
0 points from the next 3 could get very sketchy yes...but even then wed still have a game in hand on Brighton.

Say the very unlikely happens, and Brighton for the first time this season win their next 2 making it 3 back to back wins (against us and Tottenham) and we lose our next 3 (man utd brighton wba) wed be 11 points off them with a game in hand, though by that  point the likelihood is wed be closer than that to another struggling team - Burnley or another.

In that highly unlikely scenario, its a tough ask...not insurmountable in half a season with better forward options , tough but not impossible to stay up as wed more likely be chasing someone around 5-7 points above us.

Now if something more likely happens,  like we get 3 points for the next 3 games...and Brighton get 1 before the end of the window.... all of a sudden they're only 3 points ahead of us with 18 games to go

jayffc

Quote from: bahay18 on January 17, 2021, 09:38:22 AM
if we had this team for day1 i doubt we would be in the bottom 3 .

as regards to the comparison to last time , we never came close to matching the top sides and were roundly thumped on a number of occasions .

after 17 games last season , southampton were third bottom on 15pts . after 38 games they were 11th on 52 . 

long way to go

This....its not at all impossible with the right acquisitions in Jan

Whitestone

Quote from: FFC1987 on January 17, 2021, 09:30:27 AM

I'm inclined to agree. If we aren't winning these games, we don't deserve to be in the league. It's one thing to be hard to ebat, its another to win games against bottom 10 clubs. Something we've got a poor record for already.

The Brighton and West Brom games are crucial but be no means are they season defining. There will still be 18 games to play after those matches. Of course it will significantly help our cause if we secured all six points. If I remember correctly in the great escape year we won 4 of the first 33 games and 4 of the last 5 games. Keep the faith, it'll be a bumpy ride. I'm convinced we can take it to the wire. Of course it would help if we could bring in two front players asap.

ALG01

I think we xcan all see we are playing pretty well now and are well organised.
We clearly have a top class defence and well motivated and talented midfield but the squad is thin on the ground and unbalanced as usual.
In particular we have no forward line.
If that is rectified I think we have a good chance to climb the table.
If nobody is brought in I think we will go down because we are unable to score enough goals.

our problem this time is essentially lodged in the same office as last times. i think parker is fdoing as well as he can with the squad we have.

jayffc

Quote from: ALG01 on January 17, 2021, 10:00:03 AM
We clearly have a top class defence and well motivated and talented midfield but the squad is thin on the ground and unbalanced as usual.
If nobody is brought in I think we will go down because we are unable to score enough goals.

our problem this time is essentially lodged in the same office as last times. i think parker is fdoing as well as he can with the squad we have.

Except last time the general consensus was that Parker was actually underperforming with a squad that on paper had all the proven quality to gain automatic promotion. When the window closed on last years summer window...the vast majority of the this board were saying fair play to transfer team, we looked very strong on paper, and agreed largely that Parker had the tools needed to do very well in the championship, over to him...that's why he caught so much flack when we weren't pushing into the top 2.

Fortunately we saved our best performance for the playoff final and deservedly won that game and here we are. Now again we have been given a good enough squad to compete well, and just need to fit the last pieces.

Everyone almost unanimously in agreement that what we need is a finisher and if possible another wing option. So I look forward to seeing what gets done by the club. If they're anything like the level of our summer signings which is a big ask,well be looking in very good shape.

Heres hoping

filham

Let us make no mistake we are now in with a chance in every game and Parker has the team performing so much better than it was early in the season. In the main give credit to Parker for changing his system and also to TK for bringing in good defenders.
The major problem we now have is a goal drought and make no mistake that is going to be more difficult to solve than leaking goals was. One bargain basement buy on window deadline day is unlikely to do the trick, although it may help.

The big mystery is the complete failure of Mitro and Cairney who have been at the root of our attacking success in our Championship promotions. What on earth has gone wrong, if it is just injuries this will come good soon but the suspicion is there is more to it. Parker has to sort this matter as a priority, it is as important as the signing of that new striker.

alfie

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 16, 2021, 08:06:17 PM
All these  negative comments every week fulhamben is making you sound more like the grim reaper than the grim reaper.
Nobody said this season would be easy, nobody said this game today with 11 would be easy, let alone playing over half the match with one player shy. We started our season with a handicap after losing our opening games, and every fickle man and their dog including you said we are doomed and Scott has to go.
Now look at us as I speak. We won more friends than enemies today, and the difference this season as opposed to that two years ago because unlike two years ago the team is packed with leaders and characters and winners and fighters and warriors with a proper Captain. There are no passengers and the quality is as good as I have seen from a Fulham team for years. The players are clearly playing for Scott Parker, and I always measure a man how he gets up off the floor not how he goes down.
Unlike two years ago the manager is not sticking pins in players names and selecting the first 11 that come up.
Of course we are not the finished article, we need a striker and a winger to complete the jigsaw.
Slagging people off when we lose is for losers.
As for me as I stand here now reflecting on tonight's match, I am very proud of them and proud to be a Fulham supporter, so please try and put a sock in it, take a deep breath and count to 1,000 before you comment.
Or better still wait 24 hours and you will see the error of your ways.
:plus one: well put.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

jayffc

Quote from: jayffc on January 17, 2021, 10:12:33 AM
Quote from: ALG01 on January 17, 2021, 10:00:03 AM

Except last time the general consensus was that Parker was actually underperforming with a squad that on paper had all the proven quality to gain automatic promotion. When the window closed on last years summer window...the vast majority of the this board were saying fair play to transfer team, we looked very strong on paper, and agreed largely that Parker had the tools needed to do very well in the championship, over to him...that's why he caught so much flack when we weren't pushing into the top 2.

Fortunately we saved our best performance for the playoff final and deservedly won that game and here we are. Now again we have been given a good enough squad to compete well, and just need to fit the last pieces.

Everyone almost unanimously in agreement that what we need is a finisher and if possible another wing option. So I look forward to seeing what gets done by the club. If they're anything like the level of our summer signings which is a big ask,well be looking in very good shape.

Heres hoping

Might also add that the year before in the prem our business was being heralded as some of the most impressive work in the window (distinctly remember the pundits discussing it on TV) until it all went arse over tit. The likes of Seri, Schurrle, Mawson, Fabri all came in along with others with big reputations expected to help us compete strongly....and it didnt work it out in hindsight , a complete catastrophe in fact, but we were coming off an incredible end to our season with Slav and the media was fawning over the business done ...which created the bigger backlash from rival fans when it all fell apart having spent so big. So don't want to pretend that it was so obvious we were doomed to fail. It's easier to say that after the fact. During that window I voiced I was concerned about our RB position if I recall correctly but otherwise the mood was pretty confident coming into the year off the back of a record breaking run in the championship

Jim©

Comparing this season to our last prem one is a desperate ploy by a desperate poster (Ben) that wants Parker gone at any cost.
We're competing every game which is different to last time
We're solid at the back which is different to last time
We have managerial stability which is different to last time
The fans in thr majority are now onside again different to last time.
We've improved as a team from day one, anyone saying anything else is incorrect. Chelsea with a bench worth over £300m, probably more, struggled to best a ten man team yesterday.
I still think we'll be safe at the end of the season as we're not even half way through.
Half way through last season Ben was almost guaranteeing us all that we wouldn't go up...

Statto

Quote from: FFC1987 on January 17, 2021, 09:30:27 AM

I'm inclined to agree. If we aren't winning these games, we don't deserve to be in the league.

Agree with this sentence. It's not the maths, they'll still be plenty of points up for grabs, but if we aren't winning these games how can we say we're better than these teams and will outperform them over the remainder of the season? Need 4pts from these games as an absolute minimum.

fulhamben

Quote from: Jim© on January 17, 2021, 10:24:53 AM
Comparing this season to our last prem one is a desperate ploy by a desperate poster (Ben) that wants Parker gone at any cost.
We're competing every game which is different to last time
We're solid at the back which is different to last time
We have managerial stability which is different to last time
The fans in thr majority are now onside again different to last time.
We've improved as a team from day one, anyone saying anything else is incorrect. Chelsea with a bench worth over £300m, probably more, struggled to best a ten man team yesterday.
I still think we'll be safe at the end of the season as we're not even half way through.
Half way through last season Ben was almost guaranteeing us all that we wouldn't go up...
loving the personal insult Jim. Thanks for that. I'm guessing you are a teenager so I won't read too much into it. Chelsea were tenth when we played them yesterday and were in worse form than us believe it or not. So it doesn't matter how much that was sitting on their bench, because they were failing to win games and were there for the taking. They are not a good team so let's not make out we are so such a good team because a mid table side could only narrowly beat us. And how do you gauge how well a team/player/manager is doing if you don't compare them to what's gone on before. For all our so good form the teams above us are pulling away that's just a fact. We struggle to score goals with our new defence orientated system, that's just a fact. We struggle to win games which is also just a fact. has anyone worked out Parker's points per game this season compared to the season we went down. They should be better this season shouldn't they as on we are doing so much better.  Well they aren't. This season we are averaging 0.7 points per game. The season we got relegated Parker averaged 0.81 points per game. So yes we do look better now but are less effective.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Jim©

But it is desperate and because of that, you seem overly blinkered in your view. You know as well as I do, take away the first four games where Parker was left with last year's team (amazingly you'd said last season it was too good for th championship, doesn't look so now) and things would look better. Especially goals against. If you continue to look at the season on a game by game basis (points wise) there'll be good a d bad weeks. As Parker has said that isn't the big picture that he's telling the players to concentrate on, so nor should we.
Tha ks too for thr personal insult re being a teenager, just the 30 odd years past that.