News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Introduce yourselves and explain where are you from, and why Fulham..?

Started by LBNo11, February 20, 2010, 07:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flupp

[/quote]
Quote from: YankeeJim on May 01, 2011, 05:01:54 PM
I've read that when Kasey Keller played at Borussia Mönchengladbach that the fans nicknamed him "The Wall". Is that true?

Yes that`s true. Kasey had 3 great seasons in Germany. He was defenetly one of the fans favorites. Especially his last game at Borussia Park was unforgettable ...After the game he sung through the stadium microphone a famous Borussia chant against there rivals FC Köln...He started with Cologne Cologne and the crowd answers with "die scheisse vom Dom" that means Cologne Cologne the poo.e from the Dom (Special Church in Cologne)... :Sparkyticus:...

"take me home al fayed to the place where i belong craven cottage by the river take me home al fayed"

YankeeJim

Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

kirkoa

1)  I am from Lewis Center, Ohio

2)  I was talking to a friend last April who convinced me I should finally start following English footie.  He is a Man U fan, and I refused to root for Man U, or Arsenal, or Chelsea.  I started to watch Premier League matches for about a month and I noticed I continued to follow Fulham and their matches more than any other team, plus Craven's Cottage had by far the most classic look (at least in my mind) than any of them.  In August I again started to watch and Fulham was playing Blackburn.  Hangeland had given up an OG, but then walked down and buried a header on a set piece right after that.  I remember the announcer saying, "He is walking with a certain menace" as he stalked down and that solidified it for me.  So, while I am a huge Dempsey fan, my favorite player on the team is Hangeland.

3)  Columbus Crew
Why is the music playing while I'm talking?

McBridefan1

Quote from: Flupp on May 02, 2011, 07:26:23 PM

Quote from: YankeeJim on May 01, 2011, 05:01:54 PM
I've read that when Kasey Keller played at Borussia Mönchengladbach that the fans nicknamed him "The Wall". Is that true?

Yes that`s true. Kasey had 3 great seasons in Germany. He was defenetly one of the fans favorites. Especially his last game at Borussia Park was unforgettable ...After the game he sung through the stadium microphone a famous Borussia chant against there rivals FC Köln...He started with Cologne Cologne and the crowd answers with "die scheisse vom Dom" that means Cologne Cologne the sh1t.e from the Dom (Special Church in Cologne)... :Sparkyticus:...

[/quote]

Those are the things you would never hear about over here in the states, you gotta love the international flava of our beloved fulham. It brings us all together. thanks for that FLUPPY.

HatterDon

Welcome Flupp and kirkoa. Please don't hesitate to post about anything and everything.

COYW!
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Mr. F

Wow small world kirkoa, that's like 20 minutes away! 

1.) Currently reside in New Albany, Ohio just outside of Columbus

2.) I'm actually relatively new to the sport itself still but have been soaking up all the knowledge I can over the past few years. As with a lot of Americans, I never really gave it a chance until I had the opportunity to intern with the Columbus Crew. At first I thought of it as just a way to finish my degree (sport marketing) but soon I feel in love with the game, becoming as much of a fan as I was an employee. As my internship ended, my love for the game did not.  I continued to follow MLS very closely, watching every match I could and of course attending Crew matches locally. This peaked my curiosity toward the higher levels of football. Despite not having any geographical connections, I still wanted to find a Premier League team to call my own. The quality of play, atmosphere and tradition fascinated me. It's really unlike anything in American sports. As others have said, picking Chelsea and Man U was too easy and felt kind of dirty (like picking the Yankees). I watched tons of EPL matches every Saturday morning and scoured the internet trying to find connections to clubs.

Ultimately, I found Fulham. I can't explain what specifically hooked me but something just felt right about the club. I loved watching the games on TV and Craven Cottage seemed like a place straight out of a movie. I knew Brian McBride (who was a legend in Columbus sports) had quite a career at Fulham as well. I will admit having Clint Dempsey also peaked my interest. I'm not going to pretend to know what it was like before they were an EPL side, but I can respect what it took to get them to where they are today. I like that they aren't the most glamorous club and are often overshadowed by the larger ones. They remind me a lot of the American teams I support. I've been cheering on Fulham for about 3 seasons now and have always been extremely loyal to my teams and Fulham is no different, even if it means early Saturday mornings or crappy internet streams.

I'm actually planning my first trip to England with my wife for this fall. Of course the first stop on my list is Craven Cottage but we haven't booked the tickets yet since I'm anxiously waiting for the 11/12 home schedule to come out first. I'm sure I'll be looking for advice as it gets closer.

3.) As mentioned above, the Columbus Crew.

Other sports:

I'm a HUGE ice hockey fan and support the Columbus Blue Jackets. Also, I'm a big fan of the Cleveland Browns in American football. (probably should have picked Aston Villa because of that)

Shredhead

Any of you live in Trinidad? I did 3 years there between 99 and 02.
Any other surfers?
Also occasionally on Twitter @shredheadFFC

FatFreddysCat

I must say this is my favorite thread of all time, love all the new postings from all over the World, makes me very proud to be Fulham. If Man U had a thread like this it would be thousands of pages long, but just seeing this slowly develop feels me with pride. COYWS.

McBridefan1

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on May 07, 2011, 02:16:18 AM
I must say this is my favorite thread of all time, love all the new postings from all over the World, makes me very proud to be Fulham. If Man U had a thread like this it would be thousands of pages long, but just seeing this slowly develop feels me with pride. COYWS.

I hear ya freddy, and I haven't been around as long as you obviously, but I see the change too... it is incredible. :beer:

Neophyte

Brand new football fan here, hence the name.

My name's Jim Schauber, and I hail from Billings, Montana.  For those of you geographically unfamiliar, Montana is a large state on the US/Canadian border, famous for it's mountains, wildlife and natural beauty. 

Why Fulham is a tough question, the real question I'd have to answer first is why football?  I've never played the game, though both my kids have.  I've never been to Europe and I've never seen a live professional game at any level.  I, like alot of Americans I would suppose, limited my interest in football to the World Cup as a matter of national pride.  I couldn't have named 3 players at the start of the cup and by the end was cheering for them like they were my own.   

What I do watch faithfully is baseball.  Specifically, Baltimore Orioles baseball.  For any MLB fans out there, it's a singularly painful exercise to be a fan of the Orioles, and usually by early in the season I find myself watching them lose half heartedly while flipping through the channels to find something more interesting to watch.  One day I happened across the Fox Soccer Channel and found myself riveted to the TV watching a Premier League match.  I couldn't tell you who the teams were but the level of play was fantastic and there's something about watching 50,000 people cheering in unison that is inspiring.  I decided to learn more about the league and find a team to root for.

I went to the League site and started sifting through the teams.  The only thing I knew from the start is I had no interest in rooting for Man U.  Everything about them smelled like the New York Yankees to me.  Too many fans, too much money, too many titles,...  After digging around without much luck I decided to look for some of the players I had followed in the World Cup.  That led me to Dempsey and Fulham.

Having lurked around this and a few other boards for a while, I'm fully aware that this process won't necessarily resound well with the lifelong Fulham fan, however; it is what it is.  I'm looking forward to learning more about the sport and in the process hopefully not making too big of an a$$ of myself. 

YankeeJim

Welcome Neophyte. You have made a wise and considered choice. Most of the yanks on here have followed some player over and to be sure, the Brits consider us all neophytes.  :003:  Just remember, it's a pitch not a field, and attack not offense & a match not a game. Once you learn that, perhaps in 25 years they'll consider  you a novice. After all, they did invent the beautiful game. They are a good lot (not bunch) on here and once it is believed that you love the Mighty Whites, you will be treated well. The mods do a great job in keeping the language generally in a form that is acceptable in polite society. Tune into the matches and then join the discussion afterwards. If you need some on line feeds PM me and I'll hook you up.
Again welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wine:
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: YankeeJim on May 08, 2011, 01:56:23 AM
Welcome Neophyte. You have made a wise and considered choice. Most of the yanks on here have followed some player over and to be sure, the Brits consider us all neophytes.  :003:  Just remember, it's a pitch not a field, and attack not offense & a match not a game. Once you learn that, perhaps in 25 years they'll consider  you a novice. After all, they did invent the beautiful game. They are a good lot (not bunch) on here and once it is believed that you love the Mighty Whites, you will be treated well. The mods do a great job in keeping the language generally in a form that is acceptable in polite society. Tune into the matches and then join the discussion afterwards. If you need some on line feeds PM me and I'll hook you up.
Again welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wine:
just rembered this post after typing game on a thread on the main board, Game is probanly used just as much as match. Also a lot of people never visit the exiles board and might never see this thread, surely it would be better of as a stickie on the main board?

duffbeer

Quote from: Neophyte on May 08, 2011, 12:24:55 AM
Brand new football fan here, hence the name.

My name's Jim Schauber, and I hail from Billings, Montana.  For those of you geographically unfamiliar, Montana is a large state on the US/Canadian border, famous for it's mountains, wildlife and natural beauty. 

Why Fulham is a tough question, the real question I'd have to answer first is why football?  I've never played the game, though both my kids have.  I've never been to Europe and I've never seen a live professional game at any level.  I, like alot of Americans I would suppose, limited my interest in football to the World Cup as a matter of national pride.  I couldn't have named 3 players at the start of the cup and by the end was cheering for them like they were my own.   

What I do watch faithfully is baseball.  Specifically, Baltimore Orioles baseball.  For any MLB fans out there, it's a singularly painful exercise to be a fan of the Orioles, and usually by early in the season I find myself watching them lose half heartedly while flipping through the channels to find something more interesting to watch.  One day I happened across the Fox Soccer Channel and found myself riveted to the TV watching a Premier League match.  I couldn't tell you who the teams were but the level of play was fantastic and there's something about watching 50,000 people cheering in unison that is inspiring.  I decided to learn more about the league and find a team to root for.

I went to the League site and started sifting through the teams.  The only thing I knew from the start is I had no interest in rooting for Man U.  Everything about them smelled like the New York Yankees to me.  Too many fans, too much money, too many titles,...  After digging around without much luck I decided to look for some of the players I had followed in the World Cup.  That led me to Dempsey and Fulham.

Having lurked around this and a few other boards for a while, I'm fully aware that this process won't necessarily resound well with the lifelong Fulham fan, however; it is what it is.  I'm looking forward to learning more about the sport and in the process hopefully not making too big of an a$$ of myself. 

Neophyte, welcome.  Like your story,  makes me trust you.  One of my best friends in the world, Tim Petersen (and his wife Monica Marquez) are from Billings.  They live is Seattle now. I know its unlikely but maybe you know them.  Just had to ask.

Neophyte

Quote from: duffbeer on May 09, 2011, 02:10:14 AM

Neophyte, welcome.  Like your story,  makes me trust you.  One of my best friends in the world, Tim Petersen (and his wife Monica Marquez) are from Billings.  They live is Seattle now. I know its unlikely but maybe you know them.  Just had to ask.
Thank you.  I figured it wouldn't pay to make myself out to be some sort of savant.  One of the ridiculously dumb questions I have would give me away soon enough.

I don't know your friend, though my wife might.  She's lived here her whole life, with the exception of our college years. Billings is a smallish town, 100K.  I probably know someone who knows them. :)

I've been making a concerted effort to watch a couple of matches a week at least.  Watched Genoa and Sampdoria today.  Fantastic finish by Genoa to win in overtime.  Does anyone know of a place where I could learn the basics regarding the differences between the leagues, what the relegation rules are, who to watch, who to hate and why, that sort of thing?  Any help would be appreciated.

kirkoa

Quote from: Mr. F on May 06, 2011, 05:14:02 AM

2.) I'm actually relatively new to the sport itself still but have been soaking up all the knowledge I can over the past few years. As with a lot of Americans, I never really gave it a chance until I had the opportunity to intern with the Columbus Crew. At first I thought of it as just a way to finish my degree (sport marketing) but soon I feel in love with the game, becoming as much of a fan as I was an employee. As my internship ended, my love for the game did not.  I continued to follow MLS very closely, watching every match I could and of course attending Crew matches locally. This peaked my curiosity toward the higher levels of football. Despite not having any geographical connections, I still wanted to find a Premier League team to call my own. The quality of play, atmosphere and tradition fascinated me. It's really unlike anything in American sports. As others have said, picking Chelsea and Man U was too easy and felt kind of dirty (like picking the Yankees). I watched tons of EPL matches every Saturday morning and scoured the internet trying to find connections to clubs.

Ultimately, I found Fulham. I can't explain what specifically hooked me but something just felt right about the club. I loved watching the games on TV and Craven Cottage seemed like a place straight out of a movie. I knew Brian McBride (who was a legend in Columbus sports) had quite a career at Fulham as well. I will admit having Clint Dempsey also peaked my interest. I'm not going to pretend to know what it was like before they were an EPL side, but I can respect what it took to get them to where they are today. I like that they aren't the most glamorous club and are often overshadowed by the larger ones. They remind me a lot of the American teams I support. I've been cheering on Fulham for about 3 seasons now and have always been extremely loyal to my teams and Fulham is no different, even if it means early Saturday mornings or crappy internet streams.

I'm actually planning my first trip to England with my wife for this fall. Of course the first stop on my list is Craven Cottage but we haven't booked the tickets yet since I'm anxiously waiting for the 11/12 home schedule to come out first. I'm sure I'll be looking for advice as it gets closer.

Other sports:

I'm a HUGE ice hockey fan and support the Columbus Blue Jackets. Also, I'm a big fan of the Cleveland Browns in American football. (probably should have picked Aston Villa because of that)

Well hey!  That is funny, I am also a Browns fan and you would think Villa would be the natural choice, but they just didn't "click" with me if you will.  It's funny how so many Americans are saying the same thing about Man U and the similarity in following the Yankees, I thought the same thing.  I can also say Go Tribe and Bucks and Blue Jackets.  Cool to find another Fulham fan so close.
Why is the music playing while I'm talking?

duffbeer

Quote from: kirkoa on May 09, 2011, 02:34:12 AM
Quote from: Mr. F on May 06, 2011, 05:14:02 AM

2.) I'm actually relatively new to the sport itself still but have been soaking up all the knowledge I can over the past few years. As with a lot of Americans, I never really gave it a chance until I had the opportunity to intern with the Columbus Crew. At first I thought of it as just a way to finish my degree (sport marketing) but soon I feel in love with the game, becoming as much of a fan as I was an employee. As my internship ended, my love for the game did not.  I continued to follow MLS very closely, watching every match I could and of course attending Crew matches locally. This peaked my curiosity toward the higher levels of football. Despite not having any geographical connections, I still wanted to find a Premier League team to call my own. The quality of play, atmosphere and tradition fascinated me. It's really unlike anything in American sports. As others have said, picking Chelsea and Man U was too easy and felt kind of dirty (like picking the Yankees). I watched tons of EPL matches every Saturday morning and scoured the internet trying to find connections to clubs.

Other sports:

Well hey!  That is funny, I am also a Browns fan and you would think Villa would be the natural choice, but they just didn't "click" with me if you will.  It's funny how so many Americans are saying the same thing about Man U and the similarity in following the Yankees, I thought the same thing.  I can also say Go Tribe and Bucks and Blue Jackets.  Cool to find another Fulham fan so close.

I'm in Cleveland and of course I'm a tribe and Browns fan too.  Funny thing about Aston Villa is that Randy Lerner was also a Fulham fan ( I read he followed Fulham, Aston Villa, and Arsenal) when he spent time in England during college.  If Al Fayed hadnt bought Fulham earlier who knows,  Lerner might have.  I think Lerner has put in about the same amount of money to AV as Al Fayed has for Fulham

Mr. F

Quote from: duffbeer on May 09, 2011, 05:37:36 PM
Quote from: kirkoa on May 09, 2011, 02:34:12 AM

Well hey!  That is funny, I am also a Browns fan and you would think Villa would be the natural choice, but they just didn't "click" with me if you will.  It's funny how so many Americans are saying the same thing about Man U and the similarity in following the Yankees, I thought the same thing.  I can also say Go Tribe and Bucks and Blue Jackets.  Cool to find another Fulham fan so close.

I'm in Cleveland and of course I'm a tribe and Browns fan too.  Funny thing about Aston Villa is that Randy Lerner was also a Fulham fan ( I read he followed Fulham, Aston Villa, and Arsenal) when he spent time in England during college.  If Al Fayed hadnt bought Fulham earlier who knows,  Lerner might have.  I think Lerner has put in about the same amount of money to AV as Al Fayed has for Fulham

Very cool! Sounds like we'll all have plenty to talk about in the fall (assuming there's a season). Hadn't heard that about Lerner, that really would have sealed the deal for me liking Fulham. As with kirkoa, Aston Villa just didnt feel right. I really tried to follow them due to the Browns connection but they just never had the same appeal as Fulham.

Porkopolis

1) I currently live in Cincinnati, Ohio, USA.  I'm originally from Parkersburg, West Virginia. I've also lived in Cleveland and Columbus.

2) My initial interest was due to Brian McBride.  The steady parade of American connections grew my interest in Fulham until one day I realized they were my favorite club.

3) I supported--and still support Columbus Crew. That is, as mentioned above, how I found my way to these parts through Brian McBride. My mother grew up in Germany and indoctrinated me to FC Bayern from an early age, so I'll always pull for them against anyone but Fulham or Columbus. A visit to the West Country also gave me a soft spot for Bristol City as I was treated marvelously by that club when I visited Ashton Gate.

I'm glad to have found this site. I look forward to interacting with Fulham supporters form around the globe and, judging from the Ohio contingent on here, right down the street.

HatterDon

Welcome, Porkopolis. You're going to want to make another comment to get your status upgraded from "Michael Jackson."  :HD:
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Porkopolis

Quote from: HatterDon on May 23, 2011, 01:19:51 PM
Welcome, Porkopolis. You're going to want to make another comment to get your status upgraded from "Michael Jackson."  :HD:

Thanks for the welcome. I remember you from another Fulham site I used to lurk on and can't wait to chat with you (and everyone else) around here.